What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X Touch 3-screen with GDL 52

jliltd

Well Known Member
I am configuring a G3X Touch with 3 GDU's (first time for 3 screens). I will be using the GDL 52 for ADS-B "in". Can the 52 talk to all 3 screens? The installation manual shows a two-screen set up with each of the two provided RS 232 channels on the GDL 52 talking to each GDU. Will a third display show weather and traffic from the GDL 52 through the CAN Bus (probably not)? If not, since there is not a third RS 232 channel available on the GDL 52 can the RS 232 wires going to GDU #2 (MFD) be spliced into to feed the second MFD (3rd GDU screen)?

Thanks,

Jim

I have a 3 screen G3X setup in the -10.

I'd have to look back at my wiring diagram to see how it is all connected; I have a 52R, and traffic / weather / etc is all available in the same format on all 3 screens.

I am configuring a G3X Touch with 3 GDU's (first time for 3 screens). I will be using the GDL 52 for ADS-B "in". Can the 52 talk to all 3 screens? The installation manual shows a two-screen set up with each of the two provided RS 232 channels on the GDL 52 talking to each GDU. Will a third display show weather and traffic from the GDL 52 through the CAN Bus (probably not)? If not, since there is not a third RS 232 channel available on the GDL 52 can the RS 232 wires going to GDU #2 (MFD) be spliced into to feed the second MFD (3rd GDU screen)?

Thanks,

Jim

Jim,

Traffic data is shared over the CAN bus, so with just a single GDU 4XX connected to a GDL 52/52R, up to 6 GDU 4XX displays will show traffic.

Weather data is not shared over the CAN bus, so any display showing weather must be connected directly via RS-232 or Bluetooth to the GDL 52/52R.

For a 3 display G3X Touch system using a GDL 52/52R traffic/weather receiver, two displays are normally connected via hardwire RS-232 and the 3rd display (probably PFD2) is connected only via Bluetooth.

Steve

Jim-

Here is my wiring diagram.
RS-232 to PFD1 and MFD

I will have to re-verify based on what Steve said; I was pretty sure I get weather on the copilot screen (PFD2). It may be that I connected it via Bluetooth in the past and have forgotten that I did so.

Hope this helps.

Thomas

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-08-24 at 9.36.13 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-08-24 at 9.36.13 AM.jpg
    343.9 KB · Views: 383
Thanks, Steve. Does the RS-232 interface between the GDL 52 and GDU 4xxs contain all weather products? I know with the aera portable GPS series only Bluetooth connection provides all weather products because RS-232 is limited somehow (bandwidth?).

FIS-B Weather Products

Thanks, Steve. Does the RS-232 interface between the GDL 52 and GDU 4xxs contain all weather products? I know with the aera portable GPS series only Bluetooth connection provides all weather products because RS-232 is limited somehow (bandwidth?).

Good Morning,

We are rounding out the development to include the new FIS-B weather products on the serial datapath, you will see that capability included in a software update in the not-too-distant future.

Thanks,

Justin

Good Morning,

We are rounding out the development to include the new FIS-B weather products on the serial datapath, you will see that capability included in a software update in the not-too-distant future.

Thanks,

Justin

Will these updates make it to the 37x series as well?

Larry

Jim-

Here is my wiring diagram.
RS-232 to PFD1 and MFD

I will have to re-verify based on what Steve said; I was pretty sure I get weather on the copilot screen (PFD2). It may be that I connected it via Bluetooth in the past and have forgotten that I did so.

Hope this helps.

Thomas

Thomas,

Awesome schematic. It's in the same format I prefer and I do them just like that.

Thanks,

Jim

Excellent news, Justin. I have become a real Team X enthusiast.

Last edited:
I've documented my system a different way and found it very useful...

Rather than have a wiring diagram with each wire shown, I use a table of inputs and outputs by port, not by individual wire. For example, the GDL52 goes to Serial Port 3 on the PFD and Serial Port 3 on the MFD. In that same table, I have all of the settings for each serial port -- and also for the ARINC 429, no ethernet, etc. I include the information with autopilot settings, and shared circuit breakers, etc. Lastly, I list which serial lines are for backup (e.g., in my plane, PFD to roll servo)

Power, ground and CANbus don't have any settings and don't have flexibility, so I omit them from the table.

I've found that there have been a number of times I wanted to know port connections and settings, but needing to know pins has been very rare by comparison.

And if you do need to know what connects to what, a table is lots quicker and easier than chasing wires in a wiring diagram.

If you like, PM me and I'll send you a copy. Radio shops love it.

Thomas,

Awesome schematic. It's in the same format I prefer and I do them just like that.

Thanks,

Jim

Thanks.

Giving credit where credit is due - the diagram is from Tim at Approach Fast Stack - those guys built my wiring harnesses for me based on wiring plans and discussion back and forth over several months. They did an awesome job, and the schematics are invaluable!

Back