What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X OAT Location (looking for G3xpert input)

lr172

Well Known Member
I installed my OAT probe for my G3X system back near the Rear spar of the HS, under the emp cover. I believe this gives me accurate temp readings without a drag penalty. However, I read this post in another thread and it got me wondering if I am getting inaccurate data now due to the location not being in the air stream.

Additionally, the air data static air temperature (SAT) calculation uses a "recovery factor", which is used to account for the probe's temperature increase due to compressibility and heating.

Some have suggested you can mount the air temperature probe in an air duct or other location out of the air stream, but doing so increases the inaccuracy of the airborne measurement since the correction for compressibity and heating relies on the probe being in the air stream. This correction is small at 100 KTAS (about 1 deg C), but increases with airspeed and is 5 deg C at 200 KTAS.

So, a question for G3xpert or others: Is there a way to configure the system to accommodate an OAT probe that is not hanging in the airstream and therefore not requiring an offset based upon airspeed?

Larry

Last edited:
Back