What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Size matters

n6233u

I currently have my project in a hangar but it has become difficult to find the time to go work on it. My spouse has given me permission to build a carport/shed at our house and am trying to decide what size to get. The minimum I assumed I needed was:

12 ft wide x 26 ft long x 8 ft tall

But with the various options and the space I have to work with I can go as wide as 18 ft wide and tall as 10 ft.

Both options come with a garage door at one end and an entrance door on the side.

I know that bigger is almost always better but would the extra width & height be worth it? What size space did you build your RV-7A in?

Go as big as possible because you will fill all available space. 10 ft ceilings are good because you can suspend completed items overhead. My canopy lived on a platform hung with tie down straps for several years.

I think 12' wide is very narrow. 18' would be much better. 26' long is more than adequate. 8' vs 10' high is a minor difference, IMO.

Space

The final year prior to relocating to airport was in a 22 x 22 foot garage with airplane (wings attached) at a diagonal. Barely fit but allowed for fitting the sweep/incidence at the rear spar attach bolt. This eliminated a lot of hassle once at the airport.

Jim Diehl
Lock Haven, Pa
7A

My garage is 18 x 20, with a 9' ceiling and it's very tight. Wall space is all taken up with various tools. Wings and tail feathers are all in racks up to the ceiling. There will just be enough space to work on the fuselage. I'm not complaining, it adds to the challenge. However I'd certantly not complain about more space. 18 x 26 would be a dream. I do like the high ceilings though. When having to maneuver something fairly long, I'm occasionally bumping the 9' ceiling. Already got a couple scuffs in the fresh ceiling paint.

Space

You can never have too much space. My garage is 22x24 and I was able to fit the wings. You can decide.

There are many things like this where people exaggerate. THIS is NOT one of those things. I promise that if you build your shop as big as you possibly can, the only question you will ask later is , "Why couldn't I have built it bigger?"

Thanks all, I was primarily referring to the actual "work area", I have plenty of room to store stuff at the hangar and at my other (business) shop. My plan was to focus on one part, bring in the necessary tools, benches, pieces, etc., finish that part then move on to the next. Here is a pic of my hangar... I plenty of room to store finished stuff, just needed dimensions to comfortably work on the next parts.

I bought a prefab shed yesterday 14x24 with 8' walls, the plan is to insulate, install electrical, air lines and one of those dual split heat-A/C units to make it comfortable to work in.

The biplane is mine, the Cherokee is a buddy's, and the 1974 Suzuki TS185 is for sale ;-)

Attachments

• 20200506_164655.jpg
    20200506_164655.jpg
    297.7 KB · Views: 220
Thanks all, I was primarily referring to the actual "work area", I have plenty of room to store stuff at the hangar and at my other (business) shop. My plan was to focus on one part, bring in the necessary tools, benches, pieces, etc., finish that part then move on to the next. Here is a pic of my hangar... I plenty of room to store finished stuff, just needed dimensions to comfortably work on the next parts.
Nevertheless... I've never met anyone who said "dang I wish I'd had less space when building my RV." :rolleyes:

Back