What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dumb question - connecting CHT/EGT probe wires

mturnerb

Well Known Member
I have wiring harness from stein with all the wires for the EGT/CHT probes (brown wire). My Garmin engine sensor kit has all the probes which are terminated with staggered ring terminals with small screws.

I need to make connections between the brown wires and these probes - what are the acceptable/common methods for doing this? I've been using butt splices sealed with shrink tube for connecting other miscellaneous wires (in some cases of course devices have their own terminal plugs i.e. PMAG).

Thanks in advance!

I would suggest sticking with the ring terminals (available from ACS). The hardware should come with some small star washers that help maintain a good connection.

When troubleshooting odd readings, you want the ability to easily swap wires from one probe to another. Keep the back cylinder wires long enough to reach the front probes for this purpose.

I would suggest sticking with the ring terminals (available from ACS). The hardware should come with some small star washers that help maintain a good connection.

When troubleshooting odd readings, you want the ability to easily swap wires from one probe to another. Keep the back cylinder wires long enough to reach the front probes for this purpose.

So ring terminals on the brown wires from engine analyzer that match up to ring terminals on the probes? Assuming it's OK to "fold" the wires for service loop as you describe?

2 other methods of joining those wires are in another thread. Do a simple search ?erratic cht? and u will see them suggested, in case the ring terminals give u problems.

Ring Terminals are fine and used by many (we keep them in stock and obviously sell them too). Some folks also have/and do use spades, butt splices, knife splices and other methods.

It is nice to be able to remove them and swap if need be as previously mentioned, so we prefer "non-permanent" options like the small ring terminals.

Cheers,
Stein

2 other methods of joining those wires are in another thread. Do a simple search ?erratic cht? and u will see them suggested, in case the ring terminals give u problems.

That search results in 8 pages of posts. Can you suggest anything to narrow that down a bit? Not being a fan of ring terminals, I would love to know the other options.

Dec 2018

Look at my posts (using USER CP in top left corner) starting 12/18/2018. I use Omega connectors. Made specifically for CHT and EGT wiring. Almost 2 years and 300 hours now and rock solid since I converted to them.

Look at my posts (using USER CP in top left corner) starting 12/18/2018. I use Omega connectors. Made specifically for CHT and EGT wiring. Almost 2 years and 300 hours now and rock solid since I converted to them.

Switched several of mine over to the Omega connectors. Some are still the Dynon supplied spade connectors. Replacing on an as needed basis. The Omega connectors are much better, reusable when a probe goes bad, and secure. They take a little more time than the crimp connector, but they work well. The CHT and EGT use different connectors according to Omega.

Attachments

• 3B506BB8-739E-4A3F-A30A-D6175906F9B3.jpg
    3B506BB8-739E-4A3F-A30A-D6175906F9B3.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 334
Back