What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Static port

Remove the Mandrel

Could someone tell me the best way to get the mandrel out of the static port in the tailcone.

Hi Ken,
This is what worked for me.
First, convince wife or teenage to crawl into the Tailcone.
Have them hold a small block of wood with a Hole drilled in it over the inside of the rivet. I had them place a Bucking Bar (or anything small and heavy) behind the wood block to provide extra mass. This prevented making a dent in the skin.
Then I stood outside and used a small drift punch to tap the mandrel out.
Hope this works for you!
Dave

OK I will answer my own question. I used a pair of needle nose pliers to hold the inside of the port and used a number 30 drill bit to just remove the outer rim and was able to knock it out very easily once I got the lip removed. Basically I just reamed out the inside.

Drill?

OK I will answer my own question. I used a pair of needle nose pliers to hold the inside of the port and used a number 30 drill bit to just remove the outer rim and was able to knock it out very easily once I got the lip removed. Basically I just reamed out the inside.

Just to be clear, you were only removing the mandrel not the entire rivet correct?
By "lip removed" I assume you mean cleaning up the hole as if it got slightly distorted during the pulling. (many of mine did)

I wonder if the hole (if enlarged) would affect the performance of your Pitot Static system?
Guessing it would be important to do the same on both sides, then perhaps the system will adjust itself to accommodate the modified holes during calibration?

Time for the experts to weigh-in.

Static Port

Using a self centering punch worked for me. Put it on the mandrel from the outside, and pushed it a couple of times, then I could tap it out with a small hammer and a block of wood on the inside.

Wait, some of you only have to punch out one rivet on the entire build??? I've got really good at punching them out like when I get ahead of myself and put a few in that don't belong. I have a set of roll pin pinches. The smallest size fits in and a good whack with hammer sends mandrel flying out.

And yes I am a little confused after re-reading. The only thing you should be doing is remove the small "ball" end of the mandrel that was left in the rivet after pulling in order to make a path for the air.

Last edited:
Here’s what I have done - after pulling the rivets on my first RV, then pulling the remaining mandrel out from the inside, someone said “why did you pull the rivet?! Just push the mandrel out and glue the Rivet into the hole with a little proseal. That gives you a longer stem to which you glue the static line....”

Dang, if that doesn’t work just fine!

Paul

Awww...Man! Now you tell us, Paul <grin>
Sounds like a good change to the KAI Greg? (only for the pitot of course).
Besides, who wouldn't relish another opportunity to play with pro seal? (LOL)

Last edited:
Back