What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How do you do an oil level check

macrafic

Well Known Member
Are we supposed to check our oil level (Lycoming) with the dipstick screwed in or gust inserted as far as possible without screwing it in?

On my IO-360, the difference Between the two is a bit over a half qt.

Typically screwed in, but pick one way and do it that way consistently and you'll be fine.

Last edited:
A good way is to check the dipstick reading at the next oil change. I have a IO-360 with several different marking on the dipstick. I add at 5 quarts. Drain the oil change the filter. Add 5 quarts, test run the engine and let it sit overnight. Check it the next morning and that is my "ADD" mark. I then add a quart and that is my "6 QUART" mark. On a taildragger the oil will be higher on one side of the dipstick than the other. Pick a side and stick with it.

Calibrate your dipstick to your particular installation. You may have to re-mark your dipstick depending on the one you have. Fill your empty engine with 2 quarts at a time and mark or check the existing marks until the engine is full (usually 8 quarts for a 4 cylinder). There are lots of different dipsticks out there. Mine came from the right engine of something.

Back