What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV6 Aileron trim help

DCorwith

Hi Folks,
I'm on my first RV, RV6 and could use some help with a significant aileron roll.
Details:
- O320 fixed, wood prop. A/C was ground looped by previous owner and left aileron was rebuilt.
- A/C rolls left in all flight conditions; stalls falls off left. Spring control assembly with aileron in full right position. No trim tab installed.
- Rigging appears centered.

- With passenger and full right tank and 2-4 gal left tank, A/C is almost trimmed out even with aileron trim full right.
- Level flight requires left aileron ~ 1/2" high at trailing edge, same w/ right.

I noticed in another thread that others have installed a fixed trim tab on the aileron. I didn't see a kit for this in vans accessory catalog; only a kit for mechanical/electrical trim tab which is significant more work. Any instructions how to install fixed trim tab? Is this the best solution?
regards
Dave

Did it fly straight prior to the incident?

Have you researched 'heavy wing', 'squeeze aileron trailing edge', etc?

Like Charlie says, go to Vans Aircraft site and get the heavy wing document. It is a good one.

If it has flown balanced before the incident, that is a great help in diagnosing the situation.

Jumping forward, assuming it has flown in balance previously, and also assuming that the heavy wing is only due to this new aileron, then it is likely, one of these, or a combination.

a. TE radius is too small, or less than the original part.
b. There is a bow in the aileron, or less/different bow than the original
The bow difference could be as small as .020"

Possibly needing radius adjustment and/or hinge height adjustment.

Lots to check in that document first, though.

If all of the aileron work doesn't help, I'd get a digital level and verify that a wing wasn't twisted during the groundloop and I'd make a similar check to make sure the fuselage didn't suffer a twist. There are groundloops and there are groundloops, if you know what I mean.

Also, I'd look at the rigging on the landing gear to make sure all of the fairings are properly aligned.

Best of luck.

Hi Folks,
Thanks for all the excellent advice. I'll have a look at the docs. I don't have any info on previous history so will have to investigate as well.
FYI, correction to my first remarks: Left aileron ~1/2" LOW to maintain level flight.
regards,
Dave

Aireron Trim keeps moving

I have an RV6A that I did not build myself. When I adjust my aileron trim (handle between seats), I few minutes later the handle has gone back to where it was. Is there a friction or other type adjust I can make?

I have an RV6A that I did not build myself. When I adjust my aileron trim (handle between seats), I few minutes later the handle has gone back to where it was. Is there a friction or other type adjust I can make?

Yes. Under the seat pans, the axle of the manual trim is held by a UHMW block. You tighten the bolts or screws (don't remember which) to increase the friction in handle.

Back