What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IFR Training Help

Darren Kerns

Well Known Member
Guys
I have been considering lately to start training for my IFR ticket. However, I am having a difficult time finding anyone willing to train me in my RV7.

Can someone lead me in the right direction on who to talk to about obtaining this rating. I am based at FRH.

I apologize if I have posted this in the wrong forum. If I have can a moderator move it to the correct section.

Thanks
Darren Kerns
RV7 N599DT
812-613-0331

Darren,

I have limited experience IFR in an RV but a fair amount of IFR instruction given to new instrument students. I would recommend pursuing an instrument rating in a platform that's going to be easier to learn in like a Cessna 172 and then transition your new knowledge and skills to the RV. I once gave an instrument rating to a private pilot in his newly acquired Beech Baron and it proved to be a frustrating and challenging set of skills to learn at that level. I'm sure it would also be easier to find a qualified CFII at a local flight school to work with you.
Flying instruments is very rewarding. Good luck in your quest!

+1 on Mark's comments. Probably not what you want to hear.
1. I hear that there is a nation-wide cfii shortage.
2. Some cfii's will be reluctant to fly in an EAB. All cfii's(IMHO) should be reluctant to fly in an airplane for which they have zero time in type, unless you stick to VFR and you agree to be PIC. But, again IMHO, every ifr student should get some exposure to actual IMC.
3. Some FBOs require their CFI's to sign a non-competition agreement.
4. Do you have a glass panel? For many cfii's they will have to learn with you!
5. The -7 is not a great instrument platform, due to its marginal roll stability. You have to watch it every second. My guess is that you can rent a 172 and instructor at the local FBO, get the rating, then transition yourself (vfr with a safety pilot who knows your equipment) for about the same total cost as doing the rating from the start in your -7.

Where is the learn what you're going to fly crowd?

And excuse me but an RV7 can't be a good IFR plane? Not sure where that's coming from.

So, for the original poster, team up with a CFII that is willing to do a couple hours eyes wide open in your plane and teach him your systems and handling, then move under the hood and work your rating in your bird.

All in you'll save money, you and your CFII will have fun, and you'll learn a lot.

Thanks Rob. I want train in my plane. That is what I will be flying.
My wife is fully supportive & I am going to try find a CFII who will work with me.

Thanks
Darren

And for further reference...

My go-to instructors are from the same school where I got my PPL. They have no issue using my planes for BFR's, IFR training, etc. I'm not buying the CFI outside of the school, nor should anyone.

The owner of the school did give the planes a once over, which he should. Also asked some insurance questions but that's the same if you were learning in your Cirrus. All you need to buy is instructor time and that should be fine with any operation.

Renting trainers probably isn't where they are making money.

Rob,

I respectfully disagree. In the case of my Baron student, the rating took him about three times as long to get than if he would have learned the simple basic attitude instrument scan in an easier platform and then progressed to faster more complex equiptment. I am only offering an alternative means of achieving a goal that will probably cost less in the long run and not be as frustrating an experience. My guess is that after about five hours of basic attitude instrument dual in an RV and you'll be whipped and ready to slow the pace to something like a 172. Can it be done though? Absolutely.

Where is the learn what you're going to fly crowd?

And excuse me but an RV7 can't be a good IFR plane? Not sure where that's coming from.

So, for the original poster, team up with a CFII that is willing to do a couple hours eyes wide open in your plane and teach him your systems and handling, then move under the hood and work your rating in your bird.

All in you'll save money, you and your CFII will have fun, and you'll learn a lot.

Exactly correct. I got my IFR ticket in my RV-10 (dual SkyView and GTN-650) and specifically waited until it was ready before working on the IFR ticket. Considering the last time I flew a Cessna 172 I had a hard time getting past why it was such a clunky dog that I knew I did not want that added agreevation for working the IFR ticket.

BTW - I also had my check ride in the RV-10.

Fly your plane and find a CFII that understands the benefits of doing so.

Carl

Mark,

We're talking about people who have purchased or built the planes they intend to fly. Could I knock out a rating faster and cheaper in a 152? Most likely yes. Why would I?

Did the Baron student ever complain about the cost/time to rating? He's probably happy, and most importantly SAFE in his plane.

There's always 'less costly' ways to do things.

Flight training isn't where anywhere should be surfing the bargain basement.

Last edited:
Rob,

I respectfully disagree. In the case of my Baron student, the rating took him about three times as long to get than if he would have learned the simple basic attitude instrument scan in an easier platform and then progressed to faster more complex equiptment.

I think the trick would be if the student was comfortable and capable in the plane before trying to learn IFR in it.

For example, I flew a Bonanza for 15 hours before starting any IFR in it and was more comfortable in it than the 172 I finished my rating in.

I just started flying an RV6, and I think that it will be great for IFR in a few more hours once I learn the systems. The systems in it GRT are a heck of a lot easier than the old six pack IMO.

I agree with the crowd that supports flying in your own aircraft. Why fly anything else? You'll learn your own plane from the bottom up. Who cares about a C-172 when you're got an RV-7.

Think about going further a field for your training. I knew someone that flew from Mojave to upstate NY in his Cozy Mk IV, because he didn't see a lot of IFR weather at Mojave.

Bob

I have to agree wholeheartedly with Rob. I did almost all of my IFR training in my RV-6. I took my check ride in the same airplane. I would be happy, if you haven't taken your written yet, to send you my study notes.

http://www.vansairforce.net/articles/myIFRCheckride/my_ifr_checkride.htm

It's challenging but very doable. AND SATISFYING!!!

And for me the sense of satisfaction was greater than having done it in a high wing spam can.

v/r,
dr

Thanks Doug. I may take you up on those notes. I have not started or ordered anything. To be honest, I really do not know where to begin to get materials. I absolutely love my 7. I have 220 hours in her & will never own anything else.

I want to Thank Everyone for the replies & encouragement. I will now try to find a CFII who work with me in my 7.

PS: Doug keep up the Great Work. I enjoy your website more than you will ever know.

Respectfully
Darren Kerns
RV7 N599DT

Its all perspective

Some people are quick learners, some are slow. Some are visual, some like to read by themselves. Some need 50 kts max to fly a pattern, some are fine at 200 kts.

It is YOUR rating, do it the way YOU think you will learn best. Find a GOOD Instructor who has good reviews who is onboard with your plan. You MAY need to provide him/her with proper transition training. Obviously, take some input from others, but all with a grain of salt.

I currently take students with <15 hours in a C-172, we then put them in a T-6B. Roughly 30 hours in the plane and 30 hours in the sim later and they are shooting every type of approach in the goo. The T-6B is quite pitch sensitive and has a LOT of torque. We cruise at over 240, downwind at 200 and final 120. They shoot high altitude approaches, etc. SURE they do it daily, but that is not a ton of experience to do it all in a high performance turboprop.

Moral of the story is 50% will say it is a bad idea, 50% will say it is fine, and 50% will be wrong.

BTW, I have over 1000 hours teaching instruments, over 500 actual. Be SURE to get some actual time, it is invaluable. If you are at air venture, come by the Pilot Proficiency Center, I'll give you an hour in the sim each day.

I can definitely recommend the King Schools instrument rating prep courses. I enjoyed watching the videos and felt I really understood the material. Their practice exams were helpful. I didn't ace my written but I scored well over 90% after the King couse (same experience with their private pilot courses). I intend to use them for my commercial ground school as well.

Thanks Doug. I may take you up on those notes. I have not started or ordered anything. To be honest, I really do not know where to begin to get materials. I absolutely love my 7. I have 220 hours in her & will never own anything else.

I want to Thank Everyone for the replies & encouragement. I will now try to find a CFII who work with me in my 7.

PS: Doug keep up the Great Work. I enjoy your website more than you will ever know.

Respectfully
Darren Kerns
RV7 N599DT

Last edited:
(snip)...If you are at air venture, come by the Pilot Proficiency Center, I'll give you an hour in the sim each day.

Nick
Any chance someone else can take you up on SIM IFR time at Osh?
Can it be logged?
I happen to be a slow visual learner!

So, interesting statistics:
Non cfi's are unanimous, do it in your airplane.
Two civilian cfii's say take it slow, start in a 172.
One military cfi (where very motivated students are pushed hard) says start in the 172, then move up.
Why the differences? My guess: civilian cfii's have seen too many people bite off more than they could chew at once, get frustrated, and quit. So ask yourself, will I be frustrated if my initial progress seems slow? If the answer is 'no', and you understand that you will need more hours to get the rating than your friend who's training in a 172, then go for it in your plane. You "just" have to solve the problem of finding a good instructor who is reasonably familiar with your airplane and avionics (or be prepared to pay him to learn).
I mentioned the no-compete issue because that was the situation at our airport - the FBO required its instructors to sign something that said they wouldn't instruct for anyone else. However, they recently went out of business so maybe that wasn't a great idea! I personally have taken one pilot to ifr completion in his RV-10, and I don't think it was too much harder than, say, a 172. But the -10 is noticeably more stable than a -7. One last piece of advice: learn all the button pushing on the ground. Don't kid yourself, we're talking hours, not minutes, here. But up in the air is no place to be looking thru manuals!

PS +1 on Lamp guys comments about actual imc time. The FAA doesn't require it but personally it seems irresponsible to not give instrument students a taste of the real thing. It's mostly psychological but important.

Last edited:
Nick
Can it be logged?

Sim time can be logged if
(1) the simulator is of a type approved by the FAA (there are different types), and (2) the person running the simulator is a cfii. Only dual instruction time can be logged in a simulator.

Against the crowd some

MEI here, but honestly I don't teach much. Would I take you as a student in an RV-7, I'd say, it depends.

Keep in mind that the average instrument student comes to an instructor without being able to actually fly an airplane. And you spend the first 20 hrs just doing basic flight maneuvers. If you can actually fly your RV-7... you're 80% of the way there in my book.

Second, you need at least a roll-axis autopilot. For a plane like this, you just do. IFR is a system, use everything at your disposal and having an autopilot for single pilot IMC is very wise... if not mandatory.

If I where you, I'd work 10-20hrs on being the best VFR pilot you can... learn to fly steep stable approach and use minimal inputs, "be the plane" land perfectly 80% of the time. Then find an old instructor who looks past the "twitchy" plane to _YOUR_ skills and realize he's training you, not the plane.

Absolutely!

Nick
Can it be logged?

I am just volunteering there. The Pilot Proficiency Center is open to all. It is a service from EAA. In the interest of thread drift, I will post a separate thread regarding how great this is!

One military cfi (where very motivated students are pushed hard) says start in the 172, then move up.

Just to be clear, I was only giving our student background. I didn't recommend it, that is just how they start before us.

I provide both military and civilian instruction, full time and have for the last 8 years and have seen the entire spectrum. I stand by my assertion that there is no "one way". Even in a very structured 141 environment, there is not a one size fits all.

IFR Training

Took me 9 months to finish IFR (3 months for basic). Couple things I heard CFIIs say about learning.

1. They are going to want to do at least three kinds of approaches: 1) ILS, 2) Loc, 3. VOR 4) GPS. So does your RV have a NAV receiver?

2. They are going to want to do partial panel. Can your RV do a partial?

3. They are going to want to do recover from unusual attitudes. And they will want to do it partial panel. The RV-7 is too "unstable" for recovering from upset attitudes, especially by partial panel, and especially with a CFII not familiar with it.

4. Although the guys on here say "use your plan" I'd say, that is too much all about you. The CFII has to be comfortable or they won't do it.

Suggest you start learning in a school plane. Add your plane in sometimes for some things, as CFII see fit. After you have your IFR ticket, take supplemental training in your plane.

If you want to do it in "your" plane buy a Cherokee.

There is absolutely no reason you could not use your plane. Like DR and many others, I did. While it was difficult to find a CFII whose schedule meshed with mine and who had the time available to take on a new instrument student, none hesitated even for a moment to give instruction in a well-built RV. On the contrary, my first CFII (with whom I parted ways for purely personal reasons) is now building an RV probably in part due to the experience of flying mine.

Did my CFII and I take time, together, to learn my glass panel? Yes, and I also did a lot of homework in the process. Learning the avionics he would tell me, "go home and figure out how to...." So I would read through the manuals, hangar fly or use the Garmin GPS simulator software, then the next lesson we'd fly that process and I'd teach him.

Did I find the RV to be too "unstable" or otherwise unsuitable for IFR training because of its control sensitivity? No. And on checkride day the examiner, while manning the controls long enough for me to don the hood, commented, "you've got your hands full with this one, don't you?" What he didn't realize was that, even though the airplane felt downright "twitchy" to him (usually flying spam cans), it was perfectly normal to me because I'd done all my training in it.

Having actually done it, I see a million benefits to learning in my RV rather than a rental and transitioning. I'm really glad I completed the training in a responsive aircraft rather than building habits more suited to slower Cessnas/Pipers.

I'm really glad I completed the training in a responsive aircraft rather than building habits more suited to slower Cessnas/Pipers.

I plan to start my training this summer. I struggled with this same decision and ultimately decided to do it in my 6A. While I can clearly see how learning the basics would be easier in a 172, at some point I have to be comfortable and confident flying in my plane. Sure, it may take me longer to capture the basics in a less stable platform. but some of that is offset by lack of transition training. My concern was that my transition training would likely be solo and without the benefit of burning into my mind instructor statements like, "watch your pitch." It's amazing how many pilot stories include: "...and in the back of my mind I could hear my instructor saying..."

I also was worried about developing habits in a more stable plane that would hurt me more than help me. That said, I am a pretty determined kind of guy and not likely to quit just because it's hard to capture. In fact, I am looking forward to learning from another how best to tame my beast through disciplined attention.

Larry

Guys
I have been considering lately to start training for my IFR ticket. However, I am having a difficult time finding anyone willing to train me in my RV7.

Can someone lead me in the right direction on who to talk to about obtaining this rating. I am based at FRH.

I apologize if I have posted this in the wrong forum. If I have can a moderator move it to the correct section.

Thanks
Darren Kerns
RV7 N599DT
812-613-0331
Your local EAA chapter might be a good place to get a lead on an instructor in your area.
I've been a CFII for more than 40 years. I didn't instruct for a living the whole time, but worked at Commuter Airline and Corporate Jobs where I instructed in all kinds of airplanes with all kinds of pilots. LampsGuy is correct. Every student is different. If it was me, I would want to learn in my airplane, but that doesn't mean everybody has to do it that way. IMHO, aircraft stability has very little to do with unusual attitude recovery. Good training and pilot skills do.

Good luck in your effort to get your instrument rating. It will probably be one of the most satisfying aviation experiences you have.

Another opinion

As someone who is right in the middle of getting an instrument rating in an RV, I feel that I can comment. I found a local instructor who was not familiar with the RVs and has not previously done an instrument rating in an experimental airplane. Here are several keys to making it successful (so far):
1. We spent quite a bit of time talking about the airplane and the systems prior to starting training.
2. We also did an introductory flight to ensure it would be a good fit with him and the airplane. I had him fly the airplane and get comfortable enough that he felt he could take over and fly if needed.
3. I have about 300 hrs TT and almost 150 hrs RV. I think this makes a big difference. If you can fly the RV well to begin with I think you will be in a much better position.
4. I am okay if it takes me a little longer to get the rating in the RV than if I was in a spam can. The RV is what I plan to fly and I want to be the most comfortable in that.

Currently, my instructor thinks I am doing very well and probably moving as fast as any student he has had in a spam can.

I have enjoyed the challenge of the RV. There is little forgiveness though. If you divert your attention for a short period of time, you can gain or lose 100 feet really quickly.

Per my calculations I am definitely going to save money flying the RV over renting a plane. In the end I will be very comfortable flying the airplane that I plan to actually fly when I get my rating. YMMV, but I would be an advocate to try to do it in your own airplane.

It would be a long commute...

I would be glad to do it if you were a little bit closer :rolleyes:
I have trained a local pilot in his RV7A with a Dual Dynon setup. I teach IFR mostly in a G1000 172, but totally support training in your own plane.
I fly my RV7A IFR, and highly recommend an autopilot for IFR in RV's. But I don't let the student use it much during training :eek:

Good luck, I hope you find someone soon!

2. They are going to want to do partial panel. Can your RV do a partial?.

In a properly designed glass panel, this is next to impossible to accomplish. When I did my last IPC, the CFII attempted to fail just about everything. He couldn't find something to fail that I didn't have a redundant replacement in the panel and a plan to handle that failure situation.

Partial Panel doesn't really exist with glass, since a failure usually takes out an entire EFIS display. With multiple redundant systems it becomes more of a workload management issue than learning to do without a particular instrument in a partial panel situation.

In a properly designed glass panel, this is next to impossible to accomplish. When I did my last IPC, the CFII attempted to fail just about everything. He couldn't find something to fail that I didn't have a redundant replacement in the panel and a plan to handle that failure situation.

Partial Panel doesn't really exist with glass, since a failure usually takes out an entire EFIS display. With multiple redundant systems it becomes more of a workload management issue than learning to do without a particular instrument in a partial panel situation.

The prologue of the current Instrument PTS discusses this in some detail, and gives the examiner a lot of leeway. "Partial panel" does not have to mean no AI.
One issue which is becoming more common, though: aircraft with (IFR) GPS as the sole nav source. The PTS currently requires 3 different types of approaches, and GPS can only offer two of the ones on the list.

Guys
My panel is glass. 2 screens. AFS 3400 EFIS with SV. Right screen 3400MFD with terrain, mapping. Both are right in front of me. G430W coupled to TT AP with GPSS & Alt Hold. AP can track AFS or 430W with flip of switch. Garmin
2nd Comm. G327 Transponder.

Right side basic 4-Pack. 2.25 instruments. Small.

I do worry about partial panel. When I done my BFR I put a hood on & I was put in very unusual positions. Told to recover. I did. CFI was aerobatic instructor. Loved him.

I will look at my options. Have a lot to learn.

Thanks guys. I appreciate all of the comments.

Darren Kerns
RV7 N599DT

The prologue of the current Instrument PTS discusses this in some detail, and gives the examiner a lot of leeway. "Partial panel" does not have to mean no AI.
One issue which is becoming more common, though: aircraft with (IFR) GPS as the sole nav source. The PTS currently requires 3 different types of approaches, and GPS can only offer two of the ones on the list.

Like I mentioned, with a properly designed technically advanced panel it's darn near impossible to simulate what used to be a partial panel failure. I'm a firm believer to have redundant everything. I'm some cases, I have three sources.

Fail a couple EFIS, AHRS, a GPS, the NAV radio and I can still fly the approach. Although, I have to admit, I haven't figured out how to have a redundant fan up front yet.:eek:

Reverse problem

OK, respectfully to the RV community, (not to be a wise guy), I've got just the reverse problem. I've got thousands of hard IFR hours, but its been 13 years since I did any of it. And then I've got an 8 vs a side by side. If I can get my financial act together, I want to put a GRT EFIS cockpit in my plane. Short of getting a very tall CFI in the back seat, and pulling out my "booster" pillows (I'm very short waisted), and sitting as low as I can in the front seat, I can't see any alternative to renting a spam can.:confused:

OK, respectfully to the RV community, (not to be a wise guy), I've got just the reverse problem. I've got thousands of hard IFR hours, but its been 13 years since I did any of it. And then I've got an 8 vs a side by side. If I can get my financial act together, I want to put a GRT EFIS cockpit in my plane. Short of getting a very tall CFI in the back seat, and pulling out my "booster" pillows (I'm very short waisted), and sitting as low as I can in the front seat, I can't see any alternative to renting a spam can.:confused:

I've seen IFR bi-annuals done in an RV-8 - the CFII in the back had an iPad with wifi to the Dynon system. Of note the CFII was an RV-8 builder and owner. So - go find one near you.

Carl

I've seen IFR bi-annuals done in an RV-8 - the CFII in the back had an iPad with wifi to the Dynon system. Of note the CFII was an RV-8 builder and owner. So - go find one near you.

Carl

I did not know that Carl. Would that trick also work with a GRT setup? Or just Dynon?

Side benefit of Garmin G3X

I got my instrument rating last year. I was not set up correctly in my 7A at the time so I used a Cessna 172 w/G1000. Before getting in the airplane I did the maximum number of IFR training hours in the Redbird full motion sim with the 172/G1000 panel.

Almost all of the learning and practice on the G1000 transferred directly to my dual screen G3X Touch/GTN 650 combo. By the time I finished all of the SIM work I was teaching my 172 instructor tips on the G1000 operation.

I constantly use the G3X/GTN when flying VFR to stay up to speed on operation but I am also considering renting an hour of instructor and sim time every 6 months for "logbook/legal" IFR currency.

Andy

IFR Training in an RV

I am training for my IFR rating also. I have done all of it in my RV-6. The instructors were my friends and did not charge me. Now I have to go to a paid instructor and would love to be able to use my plane. No one discussed the legality of training in an experimental? Is it legal by FAA standards to get paid for training in your experimental? I thought there could be no commercial use of an experimental? Does this pass the FAA?

I am training for my IFR rating also. I have done all of it in my RV-6. The instructors were my friends and did not charge me. Now I have to go to a paid instructor and would love to be able to use my plane. No one discussed the legality of training in an experimental? Is it legal by FAA standards to get paid for training in your experimental? I thought there could be no commercial use of an experimental? Does this pass the FAA?

Depends on who is getting paid and for what. Is it your plane and are you the recipient of instruction, paying an instructor for only his services? That is not commercial use of the aircraft and would be perfectly legal.

If you or someone else is giving instruction in an experimental that you own, and charging a student to rent the aircraft, then that is commercial use of the aircraft and would not be ok without a LODA and a really expensive insurance policy.

I did not know that Carl. Would that trick also work with a GRT setup? Or just Dynon?

Don't know - but GTR advertizes an Android app that lets the rear seat guy get a repeat of the GTR display on a tablet via Bluetooth. That should do the trick.

Carl

I am based at 3EV in Evansville, IN and am about halfway through ifr training in my RV-7A. Passed my ifr written a month ago using the King online program; highly recommend it. I had 500 hours in my RV when I started my ifr training and wouldn't do it any other way. I am not in this to get the rating in the shortest time. I want to be the safest instrument pilot i can be in my plane.

I have a Garmin panel with 2 GDU 370 displays, GTN 650 navigator and TT GXPro 2 axis autopilot. It can get hectic at times but the autopilot is a tool that will give you time to get a situation back under control; especially if you have the blue save your bacon button.

We are obviously close enough for you to drop in and chat with my instructor and get a better feel for what the process is going to be like. We have 4 RV's based at 3EV (grass strip) and enjoy having other RV's drop in.

Last edited:
I am an RV6 owner who flys “light” IFR and an instructor who has had RV instrument students, my thoughts and opinions.

1. You can do it. Not sure of you panel, but I will assume since you are asking it is IFR capable (a planned layout and not an afterthought).

2. The very qualities which make for nimble handing, a sporty feel and light akro make for a less than stable instrument platform. Make no doubt about it, the RV has the ability to steal your lunch money. It is not a great instrument platform for turbulence, low wx, ice etc.

3. Be open minded and find an experienced instructor CFI-I, preferably with RV time. A “college factory” CFI may not be your best choice; your plane is not the world he/she came from.

4. You will have to have a better scan/workload management than a pilot flying a Cherokee or Cessna. Your success depends on your skills. GA pilots range from really good to not so good (the military washes MOST, but not all, dip****s out. The fact is; maybe the RV is not best for you. You and your instructor will have to be honest and assess.

5. You REALLY need to ask what your IFR goals are. There is a lack of deice/anti ice equipment. Also a lack of redundancy in avionics etc. Do you plan to just become a better pilot/fly with precision and understand the ATC system better? Do you plan to use the plane to fly thru summer haze, get “on top” , get thru light rain and manage with clouds enroute? Or, do you plan to punch into the clouds at 200’ and fly an approach to minimums?

6. IMC flying is risk management. If you fly IMC YOU WILL: pick up unanticipated ice, have an electrical failure/radio failure, lose your alternator (at night/over the mountains), total electrical failure, not be able to turn on runway lights and likely have a smoke event or two etc. In the back of your mind, do you have the skills to fly with no electronic assistance?

7. The autopilot is a great workload reduction tool. The autopilot SHOULD not be a replacement for skill, proficiency and be used to make up for lack thereof. Did I mention the plane can be a handful when writing a re-route, searching charts for fixes etc. Ask yourself if you are safe if the auto pilot fails. My opinion, NEVER takeoff in weather/conditions that your skills will not let you hand-fly/manage without the autopilot.

8. To the greatest extent, handily all climbs and descents. When I give Flight Reviews, the sooner a pilot turns on the autopilot is usually indicative about their skills.

If nothing else; you will be a better pilot and safer with the training even if you never fly IMC. Nighttime flying will be much safer.

With that said; approach it with a professional attitude and mindset and go for it. Aim for perfection and nothing short of that.

Last edited:
Steve & Chris
Thanks for the advice and info. I have been a very safety conscious pilot my whole life. I know the limitations of my RV. I plan to fly it very light IFR if I do obtain the rating. I have always respected the weather and if I have to stay another day some place then so be it. I refuse to put myself in a situation where I leave my wife and family behind.

I would like to train more to just be a better pilot. I want to be a better and safer pilot. However, bad, marginal, IMC weather I will always respect. I also know I may encounter this when I least expect it. Weather briefings change, en route forecasts change. I want to improve my skills to handle these situations if they arise.

Again I plan on no hard IFR. My plane nor will I take this chance if possible.

I want to Thank Everyone for the advice, insight, information, and etc. I am trying to make an educated decision on what to do. I also want to Thank the individual who offered simulator time at OSH. School starts so early for us that I will not be able to attend.

Thanks To All
Darren Kerns
RV7 N599DT

Back