What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

nose wheel fairing alignment

dwranda

Well Known Member
When aligning the fairing with the nose wheel do you just get it as close as possible to the center of the fuse? I'm assuming it's not as critical as the mains since it can swivel back and forth in the air so it is always aerodynamic. Is this true? There's no mention of side to side alignment in the instructions.

You want the longitudinal axis of the fairing to align with the nose wheel longitudinal axis. The nose wheel does not freely pivot in the air; at least when the fork attach nut is torque'd properly (if it did, it would not point straight due to the prop's slip stream). If you are tracking properly on T/O when the nosewheel lifts off the ground, it's longitudinal axis (directly perpendicular to the axle) should be in direct alignment with the airframe longitudinal axis.

Larry

Last edited:
Thanks. I hung a plumb bob at the center of the firewall to help with alignment then I proceeded to crack the fairing as I was trying to get it over that stupid bracket. I'm going to try to salvage it. From what I uderstand it could be the first of many wheel pant repairs over the life of the plane.

Thanks. I hung a plumb bob at the center of the firewall to help with alignment then I proceeded to crack the fairing as I was trying to get it over that stupid bracket. I'm going to try to salvage it. From what I uderstand it could be the first of many wheel pant repairs over the life of the plane.

Next time try leaving the bracket attached to the fairing. With the correct washers on the axel bolt you are supposed to be able to slip the fairing bracket onto the fork and bolt the front Allen screws through the towbar holes. I usually end up sneaking back through the wheel fairing with an open end wrench to snug up the axel bolt.

Thanks. I hung a plumb bob at the center of the firewall to help with alignment

The process I use aligns the fairing to the axle, not the airframe. It involves plotting where the tire will be inside the fairing and going from there. I won't write it here as it would be a small book in length...
PM sent with my Ph# if you want to talk it through.

Next time try leaving the bracket attached to the fairing. With the correct washers on the axel bolt you are supposed to be able to slip the fairing bracket onto the fork and bolt the front Allen screws through the towbar holes. I usually end up sneaking back through the wheel fairing with an open end wrench to snug up the axel bolt.

I will do it that way after i get it installed on the bracket.

The process I use aligns the fairing to the axle, not the airframe. It involves plotting where the tire will be inside the fairing and going from there. I won't write it here as it would be a small book in length...
PM sent with my Ph# if you want to talk it through.

Thanks. I kind of did that. I lined up the center of the tire with the plumb Bob and the center chalk line on the floor. Used lasers too.

Back