What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Second Plane

rph142

Well Known Member
Its been a while since I finished and sold my -3B and I needed something to hold me over/stoke the flames until I find my next experimental project. I have a 2 1/2 year old son now and space at the hangar under my midwings wing, so that meant only one thing. A pedal plane! It took roughly 3 months of steady building to complete. This is my sons Gee Bee, replete with dual bubble blower exhausts, panel lights, landing light, capable panel, totally useless but cool looking FPV dipole antenna, and tiny throttle and mixture levers. I was never happy with the Stewart Systems paint on my -3B so I decided to use this as an opportunity for redemption. This meant making the totally logical decision to buy a large 14scfm compressor, high flow hoses, DeVilbiss finish line HVLP gun, and a couple quarts of Stewart Systems Smoke Grey and Metallic Green paint. The results were much better this time around. Its been 9 years since I painted my -3 so I had plenty of time to think about my mistakes. I'll probably go with Stewart Systems on my next full scale build. Anyway, here it is! I highly recommend one of these for a second project...or even a break in the middle of an RV build.
pedal-plane-front.jpg

pedal-plane-cockpit.jpg

Last edited:
Your picture is WAAAY oversized. It takes forever to load. Suggest you delete your post, and start again with a much smaller size photo.

Cool

I love the realistic details (prop., instrument panel)

I am in the planning stages to build a riveted pedal plane based loosely off the RV-3 so I am curious about the bubble exhaust. Will you share what you did for that?

I am also curious how much one of these weighs when built entirely of wood/plywood?

I also fell victim to the urge to build a pedal plane, no doubt influenced by the arrival a very special little potential co-pilot. The co-pilot is still a fledgling but there is no reason why her magic carpet can't be ready when she is. Of course the new aircraft had to resemble the one in granddad's hangar. The COVID deal has prevented us from getting the photo I want with both aircraft and pilots together.

Sam-007-small.jpg

399sb-pedal-1.jpg

What I didn't anticipate was the amount of time and $$$$'s I would devote to the little project, and this was a low-budget build with inexpensive paint and materials. But it was a hoot to build and the plan set was quite accurate. You can see the tow bar that is used for taxi tests since the engine is not yet developed sufficiently to fly the little RV under its own power. But the pilot has discovered the RV grin and is coerced out of the cockpit with great reluctance.

We anticipate many enjoyable flights to come. :)

Last edited:
I am also curious how much one of these weighs when built entirely of wood/plywood?

Scott, it doesn't meet the Vans dictate of keeping it light......

The pedal plane is pretty hefty, my guess would be at least 30 lbs....or more than the weight of a full sheet of 3/8" plywood. The wheelpants are really chunky plus there are some steel parts for the wheels, controls and pedal crank.

Last edited:
I think 30-40 pounds is pretty accurate. It?s chunky too be sure.

I bought a pair of bubble guns online then stripped all the unnecessary plastics. I then installed 2? diameter chrome exhaust tips in the cowling and glued the bubble blower guns in place. Each blower is powered by It?s own 4.5v AA battery power pack.

If anyone wants to see some in-progress build photos of the pedal RV let me know and I'll start a new thread....don't want to hijack this one. :)

I think 30-40 pounds is pretty accurate. It?s chunky too be sure.

I bought a pair of bubble guns online then stripped all the unnecessary plastics. I then installed 2? diameter chrome exhaust tips in the cowling and glued the bubble blower guns in place. Each blower is powered by It?s own 4.5v AA battery power pack.

Thanks Rob

I think an all aluminum one could be done quite a bit lighter (though probably more expensive because of the material costs)

Who would be interested in a fully prepunched pedal plane kit that could be solid or blind riveted together :D

Thanks Rob

I think an all aluminum one could be done quite a bit lighter (though probably more expensive because of the material costs)

Who would be interested in a fully prepunched pedal plane kit that could be solid or blind riveted together :D

Scott, back in December when I was working on my pedal plane I found a video of an RV-8 builder in France (I think) who built a gorgeous aluminum RV-8 pedal plane. But I can't find it now.......

There is an active Facebook pedal plane group and its interesting to see that one of the most common themes is "I didn't know how much work this would take". But there are some amazing planes being built--it is obvious they are being built for approval of adults...not the kids. ;)

A pre-punched RV pedal plane would be a great spare-time CAD project for someone in the far recesses of the Vans complex....but would it be a tipper or slider.....and somebody would be upset about it having a tailwheel...not to mention a fixed-pitch prop.....but probably no need to prime it! :D

Last edited:
Thanks Rob

I am in 100%. Little one is due Nov 8 so we have about 2 years to make this happen.

Should I prime it?

Chris

Scott, back in December when I was working on my pedal plane I found a video of an RV-8 builder in France (I think) who built a gorgeous aluminum RV-8 pedal plane. But I can't find it now.......

There is an active Facebook pedal plane group and its interesting to see that one of the most common themes is "I didn't know how much work this would take". But there are some amazing planes being built--it is obvious they are being built for approval of adults...not the kids. ;)

A pre-punched RV pedal plane would be a great spare-time CAD project for someone in the far recesses of the Vans complex....but would it be a tipper or slider.....and somebody would be upset about it having a tailwheel...not to mention a fixed-pitch prop.....but probably no need to prime it! :D

I have seen that video.

I might try and take this on but I first need to acquire a bit more info regarding proper cockpit dimensions.
I purchased the pedal plane assembly manual but it doesn't have any details regarding dimensions but the other details regarding drive train and steering have been helpful in developing some ideas. I don't really want to buy the full sized plans since I wont really use any of it.

I have seen that video.

I might try and take this on but I first need to acquire a bit more info regarding proper cockpit dimensions.
I purchased the pedal plane assembly manual but it doesn't have any details regarding dimensions but the other details regarding drive train and steering have been helpful in developing some ideas. I don't really want to buy the full sized plans since I wont really use any of it.

I can help with that, just let me know what you need.

Thanks Rob

I am in, as long as it doesn?t cost what my 6 cost me. :D

Would make a far better practice kit than a light box or a toolbox IMHO.
Bonus points for also getting family engaged ...

Wow that?s a project and a half.
A pre punched pedal plane would make the perfect RV practice kit. I could see them getting out of hand pretty quickly. I was about to rig up a pedal assist motor connected to the throttle before I came to my senses. :D

These are incredible, beautiful labors of love. Well done. I would definitely be interested in a mini-RV kit from the mothership!

Thanks Rob

I?ll raise my hand! My daughter and SIL are ?working? on producing our 1st grandchild now. The timing would be perfect. ;)

I?ll raise my hand! My daughter and SIL are ?working? on producing our 1st grandchild now. The timing would be perfect. ;)

With my building skills if I started to build one today it would be ready by the time my granddaughter graduated from high school :D:(:D

Back