What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Proseal/Flamemaster trivia question

FlyGuy65

Well Known Member
Just curious what most folks end up with: extra white material, extra black accelerator, or about equal amounts?

I ended up with a lot more of the white base material and am wondering how much to attribute to some early poor procedures on my part.

I looked up the technical data for the stuff that I use, and they specify a mix ratio of 10:1 by weight. I use a scale from amazon and follow that. How do you measure and mix your stuff? By eye?or do you weigh it?

Leftover

Just curious what most folks end up with: extra white material, extra black accelerator, or about equal amounts?

I ended up with a lot more of the white base material and am wondering how much to attribute to some early poor procedures on my part.

Better white leftover than too much black. That means your mix ratio had extra hardener. The opposite would probably be bad.
I have leftover but it appears to be a correct ratio.

I was once told by an airline mechanic that they always use more hardener than specified when repairing airliner fuel tanks, "Otherwise we'd be waiting days to put that airliner back into service."

I looked up the technical data for the stuff that I use, and they specify a mix ratio of 10:1 by weight. I use a scale from amazon and follow that. How do you measure and mix your stuff? By eye?or do you weigh it?

I made many mistakes when starting, but now use an appropriate scale. The densities seemed close enough to use volume, but trying to get an accurate volume of the base in particular is not easy. The first batches did seem to set quickly, so I'm guessing that's where some of the 'missing' hardener went. Also, since those first batches set quickly, I was making more but smaller batches, with some inevitable loss to the mixing sticks. All is well now, I was just curious what others were experiencing.

More white than black

I also ended up with more white than the black, and I'd measured out quantities fairly accurately using a digital scale. Though I used to wipe off any excess from each batch onto the side of my bench, as a test, and all cured properly.

Good thread

I thought it was just me. I had more white left over too, about 5%. Wish I could just get the black stuff.

Back