What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Keeping a tip-up canopy open with wind gusts

jmjula

Well Known Member
I know there are other threads on this topic as some have had some not so good things happen when an open tip-up canopy is blown closed unexpectedly. My friend Roy had cut a pvc pipe in half as a way to fix this, and it encouraged me to 3D print something better. Here is the results of that, feel free to print away if you find it useful too.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4404720

I'll likely print extras for my friends around the local airport, but not really planning to produce too many of these as I have other projects for the printer too. Also I need to find a plastic that is more heat tolerant than PLA so that these can stand up to summer temperatures without getting soft. If you know anyone with a 3D printer, they are relatively easy to print. There are also companies out there that will take a 3D print file and produce the parts for you.

Easier solution: Close your canopy. Open it, get in, close it. Open it, get out, close it. Forgot something? Open it, get what you forgot, close it. Best advice I ever got from a tip-up owner was to never leave it up, even when you're sure the wind is blowing to keep it there.

It only has to fall once to crack your canopy, bend your fairing, or slice up your rollbar, and if you get in the habit of propping it open, you'll start doing it when your prop isn't handy "just for a moment..."

It only has to fall once to crack your canopy, bend your fairing, or slice up your rollbar, and if you get in the habit of propping it open, you'll start doing it when your prop isn't handy "just for a moment..."

It doesn't even have to fall. With both struts locked it is still pretty flexible and vulnerable to gusts, not to mention acting like a huge sail.

That must be an Oregon wing gust, not a New Mexico wind gust. Seriously, after seeing mine slam down unexpectedly, never left mine open again unless I was getting in or out.

Easier solution: Close your canopy. Open it, get in, close it. Open it, get out, close it. Forgot something? Open it, get what you forgot, close it. Best advice I ever got from a tip-up owner was to never leave it up, even when you're sure the wind is blowing to keep it there.

Yep....good practice is to never turn your back on an open tipper.

I constructed this latch to keep the canopy secure while entering and exiting the aircraft.
The tube is .875? OD Aluminum .035 wall, 6.25? long. A header is pressed into one end of the tube with a .343? hole to pass the gas spring shaft.
The tube ID slides over the gas spring.

Once the canopy is in the fully open position the latch will automatically move to the lock position, too close, move the tube to a concentric position and the gas spring body will pass into the tube.

Works well and weights a few ounces.

oDv.jpg

oDP.jpg

Good engineering!

Same type of system used on a fire engine to hold the tip up cabin in place while doing maintenance.
Foolproof, self evident operation.

Well done!

I constructed this latch to keep the canopy secure while entering and exiting the aircraft.
I like it! But I caution: A gusty wind can still bring this down. Rock the canopy back and forth a couple of times and the tube can bounce into alignment.

I think the best defense against the tipper dropping that i've used is to go up one force level on the pistons. When I did that, it became much more secure when open. But I still don't leave it unattended.

A piece of Parker Parflex tubing, sliced along one side lengthwise...definitely not coming off unless I remove it, cheap, and I even found it in red so it's visible when I'm outside doing something like moving the plane, etc.

Back