What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fibreglass around counterweight

Glen P

I'm new at this fibreglass business. I closed up the HS and VS tips with foam, flox and micro balloons. I applied some flox and then some micro balloons to the counterweight to see how well it would adhere. I adhered well. Now I'm wondering whether I could add some more micro to give it more of a finished look (after riveting on the tip). Any problems with this plan?

Last edited:
There are several ways to skin that cat. Here is one which won't sprout future cracks..

Empanage%20Tip.JPG

Well, as a rough rule of thumb, fabrics in the common 9 oz range tend to be about 0.010" per ply. No structural load here, so no need for concern. Just match the thickness of the existing glass.

Emp%20Tip%20Primed.JPG

Last edited:
I followed the procedure you're planning, but I used flox instead of microballoons. Encapsulated the end with the seams packed with flox; applied peel ply. After curing, I carved the ends into shape, touching up as required, then filled, primed and painted. Time will tell if it will endure the rigors of flight; examining those counterweight tips will be an essential part of every preflight for me.

Elevator tips

I'm working on this now. I'm curious.
Nevermind. It was a dumb question

Last edited:
Back