What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Data Plate Requirements

pilot28906

Well Known Member
Can someone tell me what exactly goes on the data plate for the aircraft? I know Builder, Model, and SN just like the registration.

What goes under "model"?

My registration has "Manufacturer and Manufacturer Designation of Aircraft":

"JOHN D JOHNSON VANS RV-7"

Does this go on both "Model" and Builder "Name"?

My "issued to" section has my name written "JOHNSON JOHN D" plus address.

Thanks for your help.

Can someone tell me what exactly goes on the data plate for the aircraft? I know Builder, Model, and SN just like the registration.
What goes under "model"?
Thanks for your help.

Builder/Manufacturer = JOHN D JOHNSON.....Model = VANS RV-7...S/N = 72974

Call up your registration on FAA website it is more clearly depicted. The "JOHNSON JOHN D" is owner, not necessarily builder.

Last edited:

What goes under "model"?

Thanks for your help.

Ok, for your example you would put "John D Johnson" as the "Builder" or "Manufacturer". You would put "Vans RV-7" as the model.

If the registration shows the MANUFACTURER name as "John D Johnson", then that's the way you put it on the data plate. The info has to match EXACTLY.

The format for the owner's name is not relevant. Only the "MANUFACTURER" or "BUILDER" name matters. Whatever is shown on the registration has to be on the data plate in exactly the same format.

The FAA will always put your last name first on the "issued to" section. They very often put last name first in the Manufacturer section as well, but according to your example they did not do it in your case.

Bottom line, don't change anything from how it shows on the registration certificate.

They very often put last name first in the Manufacturer section as well, but according to your example they did not do it in your case.

Mine ended up Firstname Lastname, as well, which is what I wanted (there were quite a few posts around saying that couldn't/wouldn't be done, etc., but apparently there's no rhyme or reason sometimes with the FAA LOL!)

Mine ended up Firstname Lastname, as well, which is what I wanted (there were quite a few posts around saying that couldn't/wouldn't be done, etc., but apparently there's no rhyme or reason sometimes with the FAA LOL!)

Don?t get me started . . . :mad:

And while we're on "data plates" be sure your's is steel. Aluminum is not acceptable. Regulation says that it must be fireproof. Aircraft Spruce sells an aluminum data plate. In their defense, their information states that is not FAA approved. Not sure why they sell it. Just adds to confusion.

For my last project I used the data plate that came in EAA's registration packet. It has pretty black borders with bare metal fields for the data.

I received a call from the trophy shop that was engraving the plate for me telling me that couldn't get the lengthy text string in the Model field. I told them to just flip the plate over and use the blank side. I later painted a black border and it looks official. :)

(Rudder cable fairings were added later.)

assembly-5.jpg

For my last project I used the data plate that came in EAA's registration packet. It has pretty black borders with bare metal fields for the data.
I received a call from the trophy shop that was engraving the plate for me telling me that couldn't get the lengthy text string in the Model field. I told them to just flip the plate over and use the blank side. I later painted a black border and it looks official. :)
(Rudder cable fairings were added later.)
assembly-5.jpg

Another small point. The words "Make/Builder", "Model", and "S/N" need not be on there.
Just the information is sufficient.

As long as the information on the plate is permanent and readable (engraved or stamped) is there any rule against painting the plate to match the plane?

Does the manufacturer need to be my name, or a persons name, or can it be a company? Does it need to be a real company (registered with state or be LLC) or can I make one up like ?Garage Aviation? or ?SnailWorks??

Does the manufacturer need to be my name, or a persons name, or can it be a company? Does it need to be a real company (registered with state or be LLC) or can I make one up like “Garage Aviation” or “SnailWorks”?

The model name can be whatever you want it to be as long as it matches exactly the registration paperwork. Take a look at the FAA registry and you'll see some aircraft makes you have never heard of. ;)

Does the manufacturer need to be my name, or a persons name, or can it be a company? Does it need to be a real company (registered with state or be LLC) or can I make one up like ?Garage Aviation? or ?SnailWorks??

An interesting question. I don't know of any regulation that specifically addresses this. However, there is guidance found in FAA Advisor Circular AC 21-12, relating to filling out the application for airworthiness certificate, FAA Form 8130-6. The AC says....

For special airworthiness certificates in the experimental category with the purposes of operating amateur-built and operating primary kit-built aircraft, the builder?s name is the person who fabricated and assembled the aircraft. To complete this block, you should enter the name of the person who fabricated and assembled the aircraft. When two or more persons are involved building the aircraft, only the person?s name that is listed first on the aircraft?s ID plate should be entered.

This is the basic guidance all FAA inspectors and DARs will be using in this case. There are many examples of amateur-built aircraft having a corporation or LLC being listed as the builder, since the definition of a "person" is considered to include a corporation or LLC according to the FAA aircraft registration branch.

Ultimately, whatever is shown on the registration certificate as the "manufacturer" will be what goes on the data plate and all FAA forms. So when you register the aircraft, if you put in a fictitious builder/manufacturer name and the registration is processed that way, then that's the way it will be. However, I don't know that Aircraft Registration will process such an application without questioning the manufacturer name. I guess someone would have to try it and see if it works or not. I don't think it will work, but I don't have any definitive data to support that opinion.

Back