VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 07-05-2018, 12:43 PM

If you have emailed me about the project, you should have heard from me today. I got everything prepared so you can start building yours if you wish.
Old 07-06-2018, 03:38 AM

This is awesome Tim! Thanks for sharing your hard work.

I’ve ordered most of the components for mine, and I’ll report back when I’m up and running.

Don
Old 07-08-2018, 09:07 AM

Thanks Tim,

Oshpark boards ordered, Mouser next. I can't wait to get my ADS-B working right! Your documentation was very thorough and professional. Thank you for you dedication to this effort.

Henry
Old 07-08-2018, 11:02 AM

Can you explain how "friend" mode works? I'm hoping it de-lists this traffic before sending data to the EFIS, or at least disables proximity alerting.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:33 AM

Smile

The friend mode works like this:

In the code, you enter the ICAO codes of all of your friends who have ADS-B out capability.
You also have to enter a corresponding total count of all of the "friend" codes you have entered. (i.e. if you have 4 friend codes entered, enter "4" on another field so it knows how many it has to parse...it is in the documentation I think, but if not, let me know and I'll add it)

So when a code is a "friend", you won't get traffic alerts on them ever. This is important to know, and be careful of, because they could fly right at you and you won't get alerts...at least not alerts that are generated by the system. (your EFIS may generate it's own alerts, depending on the EFIS) The Echo doesn't generate ANY traffic alerts by default, so this box fixed that, but then removes friends from alerting. This allows you to fly formation with your buddies, and keep track of them all the time, without them having to squawk standby. (You still want to squawk standby when doing flight following in communication with ATC, so that only the lead squawks)

Additionally, depending on your EFIS capability (this works on my Chelton but may not on other systems, I'm not sure), if a target is defined as "friend", it changes some integrity parameters that are sent to the EFIS and on my EFIS it changes the target shape. I have it set so that any friend target further than 1nm away uses the shapes in the 2nd row to display the target. The default on my system is row 1. The thing that makes this nice is that if you are doing an in-flight meetup, and your EFIS supports this target stuff, you can pick them out of the crowd.

I should note that I don't think AFS supports these other target symbols, but they have the benefit of displaying N-Numbers, while I can't on my EFIS, so this change in target type may not affect you display. The parameters are editable too, so that if you don't like the alternative target shape, you can modify it to normal.

There are other settings related that you can play with as well, and I've tried to document most of them.

The Friend code can be completely disabled, as well, if you don't want to use it, or if you just happen to be one of those guys who has no friends.
Old 07-19-2018, 12:03 AM

Tim,
My Mouser order arrived Monday (2 days ago), and my Oshpark boards arrive tomorrow. Weekend project will be to put my box together. I hope all goes together as well as I expect. Thanks again,
Henry
Old 07-30-2018, 12:13 PM

Just a note to say that one of my buddies using the filter box was not using ICARUS as his altitude format. He was feeding SHADIN Z format with ALT from a Grand Rapids EFIS. Our other buddy added some programming to handle that format for Altitude input as well, and it was tested on the way home from OSH. It worked. We're working on filtering shadows a bit more, but otherwise things are working out well.

Do most people use ICARUS (Garmin/Trimble) for their Altitude encoder? If not, a little more programming for other formats may be required.
Old 07-30-2018, 01:06 PM

Default Spoke with Uavionix at OSH - -

They said only one person has sent data for them to look at regarding dropping targets. For those waiting for an update, it may not happen unless they get more data. If the info they gave me is wrong, let me know. Thanks
Flying RV-12 - Serial #120036
Paid in May ( 5-2020 )
Old 12-08-2018, 06:01 PM

Default Echo Help

ALL

does anyone know if using the UAVIONIX app in the monitor section, should my system be showing a pressure altitude while on the ground ? Also shouldn't it show the transponder code currently dialed into my transponder ? I seem to remember mine used to do that but now its not so I am trying to troubleshoot my issue.

In my last 6 flights according to the test reports I have spent a total of 3 seconds in ADS-B airspace, probably drug a wing through Albuquerque Class C, and I have been getting letters and emails from the FAA asking how and when I will remedy this issue.

KAEG - Pitts
Aspiring RV builder.
Old 12-08-2018, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
In my last 6 flights according to the test reports I have spent a total of 3 seconds in ADS-B airspace, probably drug a wing through Albuquerque Class C, and I have been getting letters and emails from the FAA asking how and when I will remedy this issue.

KAEG - Pitts
Aspiring RV builder.
If you fly in ADSB-out required airspace, you must have it, effective 13 months from now. But, once installed, you must run it 100% of the time, regardless of what airspace you?re in, and it must work properly. Your FAA letters are not necessarily related to being in class C.