What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7 second hand wings near Niagara Falls

orangejustice

I'm New Here
RVators...

Recently started my -7 build, almost done with empennage, which was bought 2nd hand from an experienced builder and other than ordering a few extra nuts and bolts, has come together nicely.

Found a set of 14 year old -7 wings about 8 hours from me, near Niagara Canada. Owner is deceased and son is selling and offered a very good price. Obviously the issue is the knowledge lost with the builders passing, missing bits, and my relative newness to building. Not sure I can take an overall look and say —-good shape I’ll take it, or no thanks.

Wondering if anyone has any advice, or even better, if any experienced builders that live near that area might be available to look at it with me. Not sure what I could offer in return, dinner's on me.

Thanks all and happy building.

Last edited:
I would have him take some pictures that would accurately show the quality of the build and any areas that might be questionable. Also pictures of parts not assembled. Ask if he has original bill of materials so you can verify against that when you do inspection. If he doesn't have it, using a copy from someone else would be close enough. If all that looks decent to you I could look at them with you.

Be sure you receive a builders log showing the original owner assembling the wings. That should remove any doubt about them being amateur-built when airworthiness inspection occurs.

Back