What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel PSI indicator fault

mxhossai

Made a long trip to Atlanta from Virginia. Saw fuel psi had a big red cross and no reading. But fuel flow seems fine and everything runs good. Any idea what may be the issue?

Thank you,
Monir

Likely an open circuit -- check all the sensor wiring -- make sure the sensor electrical plug is fully seated. You can troubleshoot somewhat by wiggling various elements of the wiring and watching for the big red X to disappear.

Give us some more information: is your airplane fuel injected? Does it have Kavlico sensors? (see pic below) If so, do a search on this forum. I think one of the failure modes is the red X.

8xgRCBorzEIhMMJ8J4uQVhqzvfBSgNkGi56RnIEaOwBaYLLVOct36QM2aG9s4FXOK9mYgMXTpQgoFV1yxBOxOXiO2i5Vr0jdRrjZBI3gpHcGWYpMHjPUpt49cQ7d7hT-ZY-2E9VPOrBaZrYBZtq6rJEtiVqycrdPUnbXmcCwy3A9q4OHjz1nYvIdtB5WEEJfaU-tDPDzxWjGI-uRATzun83_QxeRWTuvF17Y2PmG50_fCjps7741qRky72yMnDzAN4LUhAyKrrDG1skLqmCv2fdSWNxYfN8GeSh5IKygM6AYD_KWdPOb_40A2LLuVE46rLZN7QhicBpBsQBOFR7-cahYrFSYQgYXTmQ5NNyJYmPmajcXYFoRXWPPtDYX6yBhFv1ZaLCXV0pShlK_U8KAOyIrs5T7gaozXRFxflstB843YGODCARvsn9brkAb_1SsJK6se55_ZrzzsVkLX6Nlr1vg7xzxwmWXAkk-zW-ccG8N2Nk6nM8_20fOHEqgCz3JLTUKcguoYTMFE9BAsc5ku-c52Oj7T-ftQHL9yg75F8-_jRIODA5I1MHWDisdQ4JjqK9Yyc-QmMugbvcMpUuXNklUcrfSLofxyA1hgYgBeZPlpBhbSqEgZuIl8ZYCXnZg-uqo79vN37JPvY5HTT1AN8sCnAZtoXmSdlQUqZaK8pLp7bixQbvYz37Lkb_70VbPv-RdL3hNrVzBRcYL6ERnrEuk8AVoDh51zS0ryE4MoKAhcUWuJxs5=w480-h640-no

David,

I should have been more clear, I did know thats ita not fuel injected but didnt know the pressure sensir location. Drawaing makes it clear. So will peruse the threads related to sensor failure. Thank you both. Helps like this makes a novice a little less novice :)

In the same long trip (11 hours down/up), another thing happened: completely loss EGT Left. So the fuel psi and left EGT both has big Xs on them. Sounds like individual issues, or could this be loose connection somewhere that's causing both of these symptoms? If later, where should I start looking?

Likely individual loose connections -- not related. Check all associated connectors and wiring. You can swap EGT leads from left side to right side to see if fault follows wiring or probe.

I just went through intermittent oil pressure, and Left EGT, as well as Right EGT with red X's or showing false EGT's 525 F on a cold motor. The wires in those sensors are really too small to crimp effectively.

I'd be more inclined to put some heat shrink on first, without shrinking, then soldering the connections together, then heat shrink each wire, then another heat shrink over both connections, then zip tie as needed. Leave some slack in the wiring.

The spade connectors are not the most reliable, followed by getting good crimps on butted connectors on very thin wire, especially on the EGT sensors.

10 wraps, 5 and 5 on each side, like a blood knot for joining two fishing lines, supported by heat shrink to prevent flexing.

I am very familiar with all of the different ways to do soldered electrical splices.

I have also repaired a few that fatigue failed underneath wire insulation or heat shrink.

Now a days most professional shops use THESE in situations where a solder splice is acceptable (well restrained and isolated from any influence of vibration).

I am very familiar with all of the different ways to do soldered electrical splices.

I have also repaired a few that fatigue failed underneath wire insulation or heat shrink.

Now a days most professional shops use THESE in situations where a solder splice is acceptable (well restrained and isolated from any influence of vibration).

Preferred methods for isolating from any influence of vibration?

Pretty much anything, hoses, and such that are uses with tie wrap to secure wires, are mounted on parts of the engine, and so close and with such short lengths, as to be exposed to vibration.

Trying to learn here, the right way to isolate.

Went to the field and opend the cowl to see the faulty EGT L probe. It was clear: when installed the cable connecting the probe was bend in a tight angle and therefore caused a lot of stress. Wiggling it would make the reading come and go. So its obviously shorted. Will have to order a new probe and make sure it doesn't have a tight bend. The right right EGT probe didn't have a tight / bend angle to it. Thats working fine.

Thank you all for your input.
Monir

Back