VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 06-29-2020, 08:14 PM

Default Garmin G3X - next model?

I currently have a dual screen G3X in my RV12 and love the system. And now I'm within about 6-8 months of being ready to mount avionics my my RV-10. I noted that Garmin now has rebates available, which is the normal "Oshkosh" time of year to do discounts and rebates.

Which brings me to the $30,000 question...should I take advantage of discounts and rebates now (before July 31st...), or hold off and see if there's something new and whammadyne released at the end of the year?

I could start mounting stuff now, so having it on hand would be good, BUT, any ideas on when the G3X will see a significant hardware update? I think the G3X Touch has been out for at about 6 years, so I'm wondering if there's a new and flashy model to be released? If not within the next 6 months, I'm probably money ahead to buy it all now during the sale.

Thoughts?

- RV10, Build in progress.
- RV12, N975G, "The Commuter"...many great hours and happy landings so far.
- Several others that are now just great memories for me.
Old 06-29-2020, 08:22 PM

Funny you brought this up as I was just wondering the same thing. Starting to design a new panel for my Lancair and don't want to end up with last years stuff once I get it done this winter.

One thing I do wonder is if they will do a TXi version of the G3X like they did with the G500 and 750s etc.
Old 06-29-2020, 11:23 PM

When and whatever arrives, I hope it will be possible to mix in new screens with the old.
RV-14 kit #140138
Flight testing
Http://magnusrv.blogspot.se
Old 06-30-2020, 04:12 AM

In Early 2014 I decided to upgrade my 2005 era panel with a dual G3X non touch system.
My friendly avionics shop ?strongly suggested? that I hold off a few weeks.
End of March 2014 G3XT announced....

I?m not far off making decisions for my 10 now as well. 6y is a long time for no hardware refresh these days. So I?m wondering exactly the same thing Ron.
Sydney, AUS
Old 06-30-2020, 08:40 AM

The Garmin New Horizons Rebate runs through July 31st, 2020 and includes some great savings. Additional details are included in this thread.

While Garmin is always looking to the future for product enhancements, you'll be safe taking advantage of this opportunity!

BR,

Brad

Edit: Most products do carry a 2 year warranty from date of purchase. You might take this into consideration when purchasing. The experimental support team, however, does work to be reasonable if you encounter certain issues outside of the warranty time frame.
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.

Last edited by g3xpert : 07-01-2020 at 11:38 AM.
Old 07-01-2020, 11:08 AM

Great timing on this question... I am working with the guys at SteinAir on the panel for my 10, and I have this little voice in the back of my head nagging me to wait a bit, as an improved G3X screen has to coming somewhere in the near future.

I appreciate the previous post from Garmin that to me implies that the rollout of an improved G3X screen won't be for sometime yet.

I do wonder why? I think the non-touch G3X screens came out somewhere around 2010, with the touch screens rolling out in 2014. Here we are 6+ years later without any updates. While there isn't anything really wrong with the current G3X screens, I think an update similar to the xi update to the 650/750 with better resolution and faster processors is a bit overdue.
Paid for 2020