VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 06-26-2020, 07:56 AM

For me to get the FAB in the correct location I needed to reshape it around the starter solenoid and one starter bolt on the opposite side of the starter.

Old 06-26-2020, 08:13 AM

Thanks for the great pics birddog! Ya I'm betting after seeing the pics that the conical piece will likely have to go. Maybe I'll tackle the fab before I get too carried away on anything else. Those pics will help a lot.
Wings done
Fuselage done
Finish kit almost done
Exempt but gladly paying!
Old 06-26-2020, 08:34 AM

One more idea for ya while your in this area of the baffle building Jereme, after seeing the issues with cracking baffles this really stiffened up the rear baffle and outside corner at the oil cooler. I didn't add any extra angle at the corner which may be a mistake but this (j-stringer) seemed to be a better fix to stop the flexing which is causing the cracks in the first place.

Old 06-29-2020, 10:51 PM

Well birddogs posts got me motivated to install the filtered airbox before continuing on my baffle journeys and I'm glad I went that route. The FAB affected quite a bit of things on my front left baffles.

After getting the flange fit it was time to cut the 3/8" gap below the ramp.

20200627_105344 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Next comes the tracks. Here you will also notice that my filter tracks are more outboard than a guy would like but it's still manageable as you will see in the next pics.

20200627_133928 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Since there was no room for the screws called out in the plans that normally go through the ramp I had to improvise. I know I'm not the only one that has had to do this and in the end it worked quite well! As you can see I made a little angle that rivets to the side baffle and the outboard track screws to it.

20200627_133935 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Here she is with the retaining clips in place. I had to go off script quite a bit but in the end it worked out nicely.

20200628_101010 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

As far as the alt. air door goes I know a lot of people have had issues with it hitting the oil drain back tube. I did not have any interference with it. To top it all off I was really surprised how well the flange rested against the FAB.

20200628_112107 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Here it is after a bit of filling. Also, if you haven't installed this yet bend your tab a little higher than I did; you can see I bent it where it meets the flange. This was too low which wasn't a big deal, just had to grind down the door a bit.

20200628_123124 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

I didn't have to do any modifications to the fiberglass like many before me have. Here you can see how close it comes to that starter.

20200628_085338 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Finally, I did a bit of trimming of the cowling inlet to get a 3/8" gap here. Van's doesn't mention anything about a gap here but after searching the forums and using common sense it sounded like 3/8"-1/2" was the magic number so that a guy can actually remove and install the cowl. In this pic you can also see I trimmed the center baffle a little too much and had to rivet on a little plate. Trimming the cowl also removed the third screw which once again sounds quite normal after searching the forums. I just need to fill that rivet hole now.

20200629_123736 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr
Wings done
Fuselage done
Finish kit almost done
Old 06-30-2020, 01:19 PM

Spectacular! The Machine is in the home stretch!
Private pilot, ASEL!
EAA 105 Chapter 7S3
Bi-annual financial contributor

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." Teddy Roosevelt
Old 06-30-2020, 04:42 PM

Great job fella
Old 07-01-2020, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentlik View Post
Spectacular! The Machine is in the home stretch!
Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog486 View Post
Great job fella
Thanks Gents!
Wings done
Fuselage done
Finish kit almost done
Old 07-01-2020, 09:35 PM

Almost done with the baffles now. Installing the seals was pretty easy except for the inlet area, it is tricky for sure.

Here is the grand picture of the seals. I peaked inside with the cowl on and daaaaang the seals conform quite nicely to the top cowl. I don't see puckers anywhere.

20200630_181455 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

The tricky inlet area, this is what I came up with. Time will tell if it works well or not. The seals seem to want to seal again the side of the ramp for a pretty large section. I have read many others getting the same situation.

20200630_181510 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Down lower the rubber seals against the flat of the ramp. I didn't do as nice of a job trimming this side but it seals quite nicely which I guess is what matters.

20200630_173127 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

The right side I am really impressed with. It forms a very nice seal with the ramp that also looks good.

20200630_181324 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Let me know what you baffle wizards think, especially if there is something that needs fixed.

On a somewhat unrelated subject, I got my flight review signed today after going through a bit of dual this last month to knock off 15 years of rust. Solo in the pattern today for a few touch and goes. Winds were 11 kts gusting 21 and crosswind to boot, great day! (those winds are normal where I live haha)
Wings done
Fuselage done
Finish kit almost done
Old 07-05-2020, 09:31 AM

Firewall forward continues.

Got the PCU5000 on Friday from the VAF group buy, thanks VAF members who ordered! I was worried this was going to be difficult to install with the engine already on, it was probably the easiest thing so far! Plenty of room to work back there. I could even get a torque wrench on all the nuts! You can do almost all of the assembly with it swung out of place, then just put it on the mount with the gasket and torque it down.

20200704_123726 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Here is the other side. You can also see how I wired the mags.

20200704_123741 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Fabricated and installed the ground strap. This stuff is actually doubled up, you have to put one strap inside the other when you make this. I made sure to do a good job getting all of the paint off of the engine where this connects.

20200704_162013 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

I also installed the alternator b lead and field line. It is clamped to the starter wire on the way up to the alternator.

20200704_161946 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

I think I am going to start the windscreen now and since there is a few short fill/micro jobs on that I will save some more firewall forward stuff to do while I wait for epoxy to cure. Not too much longer and she will be making the big move!
Wings done
Fuselage done
Finish kit almost done
Old 07-05-2020, 05:31 PM

Most excellent my friend, most excellent.
Private pilot, ASEL!
EAA 105 Chapter 7S3
Bi-annual financial contributor

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." Teddy Roosevelt