- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 06-21-2020, 10:39 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV8JD View Post
But Ken Balch mentions in the post below that the single place SubSonex is "effectively uninsurable". A two-place jet might not be insurable at all.
http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...46&postcount=5
So as not to give people the wrong idea, a Subsonex is quite insurable for liability. Hull coverage is not available for a price anyone seems interested in paying, but to make a blanket statement that they are “uninsurable” is not correct.

We now return you to your speculation on Van’s business plans....

Paul
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 07-16-2020, 11:47 AM

Lightbulb RV-15

I'll throw in a wager just to see how it turns out in a few years.

Just seeing how the product line is evolving recently, the 12 tapped the LSA and now the trainer market (what an excellent ship to learn to fly in), the 14 largely split the difference between the 7 and 10 and the 10 continues to age and sell well in its more lucrative market segment.

For me that leaves the most room for the RV-15 to bridge the gap between the 9 and 12. Something that builds like a 12 but more closely resembles the mission profile of the 9.

So many of us, me included, have had that 9 vs 12 debate. The 9a fits my mission profile over the long term, but building the 12 seems more compatible with my liberal arts degree. The 9 likely surpasses my aptitude and persistence thresholds.

Regardless, I'm excited to see what comes next. I love the tread towards easy to assemble yet incredibly capable craft for those of us who would rather paint by numbers.
Old 07-17-2020, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by croner15 View Post

Just seeing how the product line is evolving recently, the 12 tapped the LSA and now the trainer market (what an excellent ship to learn to fly in), the 14 largely split the difference between the 7 and 10 and the 10 continues to age and sell well in its more lucrative market segment.

For me that leaves the most room for the RV-15 to bridge the gap between the 9 and 12. Something that builds like a 12 but more closely resembles the mission profile of the 9.

So many of us, me included, have had that 9 vs 12 debate. The 9a fits my mission profile over the long term, but building the 12 seems more compatible with my liberal arts degree. The 9 likely surpasses my aptitude and persistence thresholds.

Regardless, I'm excited to see what comes next. I love the tread towards easy to assemble yet incredibly capable craft for those of us who would rather paint by numbers.
I’m close to your desire; I would want a step between the 12 and a 10. Basically a 3 or 4 place RV-12.

RV-6 N466PG Purchased already flying - SOLD!

The Book: The PapaGolf Chronicles

Built RV-12
http://www.schmetterlingaviation.com

The Book: Being written.

The above web blogs and any links provided thereto are not instructional or advisory in nature. They merely seek to share my experiences in building and flying Van's RV airplanes.
Old 08-03-2020, 03:26 PM

I'll throw some logs on the fire since it's such a fun thread.

I built a Sonex, sold it to buy a 9A. Loved my 9A but by the time I was done spending money making it my own, I priced it out of my own budget and since have sold it. I, like many, had the 12/9 debate. The 12 is just too slow and buzzy for me, but something I would build with no worries. I want fast and cheap for 2 people.

So...why has no one come up with a Pulsar SP100 equivalent? That would have been a perfect plane and I search every day for one. I wish the company was never sold.

170kt cruise
1,250nm range
5.5gph
44" wide cabin
500hr build time

Find me another plane in the $70k range new that can do that. Leveraging a Lycoming Thunderbolt IO-235 in a small, wide and light plane would be fantastic. Great reliable engines with low operating costs without the buzz of a Rotax.

Ok, time to flame me.

Looking for my next thing...anyone have a 4/6/6A airframe completed they want to part with?

N67LJ RV9-A - SOLD

rvpilotlife.wordpress.com
'20 supported!
Old 08-03-2020, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbardell View Post
I'll throw some logs on the fire since it's such a fun thread.

I built a Sonex, sold it to buy a 9A. Loved my 9A but by the time I was done spending money making it my own, I priced it out of my own budget and since have sold it. I, like many, had the 12/9 debate. The 12 is just too slow and buzzy for me, but something I would build with no worries. I want fast and cheap for 2 people.

So...why has no one come up with a Pulsar SP100 equivalent? That would have been a perfect plane and I search every day for one. I wish the company was never sold.

170kt cruise
1,250nm range
5.5gph
44" wide cabin
500hr build time

Find me another plane in the $70k range new that can do that. Leveraging a Lycoming Thunderbolt IO-235 in a small, wide and light plane would be fantastic. Great reliable engines with low operating costs without the buzz of a Rotax.

Ok, time to flame me.
If it was REALLY that good, it would still be produced........ That's why Van's is still here!
VAF #897 Warren Moretti
2019 =VAF= Dues PAID
Old 08-03-2020, 04:02 PM

Quote:

How about a 9 - 9A kitted like the 12 and assembled with blind rivets. O320 and fp prop.... same panel as the 12. You could build this for the same price of a 12.
VAF #897 Warren Moretti
2019 =VAF= Dues PAID
Old 08-03-2020, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
If it was REALLY that good, it would still be produced........ That's why Van's is still here!
Actually, the company was sold to a business in South America. The new CEO had a customer in their ‘simplified’ variant and killed both in a crash. Company folded and all was lost. Of the 10 or so in the US, and several abroad, reviews seem to indicate the specs were very close to accurate.

Looking for my next thing...anyone have a 4/6/6A airframe completed they want to part with?

N67LJ RV9-A - SOLD

rvpilotlife.wordpress.com
'20 supported!
Old 08-03-2020, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
How about a 9 - 9A kitted like the 12 and assembled with blind rivets. O320 and fp prop.... same panel as the 12. You could build this for the same price of a 12.
Better hurry. Rans is putting an IO340 on their S19.
RV-9A complete
Harmon Rocket complete
S-21 wings complete
Victoria, BC (Summer)
Chandler, Az (Winter)
Old 08-04-2020, 07:50 AM

Default Electric

I want electric! Something 2 seater, 150kts, 3 hour endurance, 30 min recharge time.
Grand Prairie, TX
KGPM
Old 08-04-2020, 08:01 AM

Quote:

That‘s exactly what I mentioned when VANS made the survey on Facebook a couple of months ago and the reason I havn’t made a decision yet.
Anyway, I‘m somewhat afraid that they concentrate on the high-end market. right now.
The improvements on the 10 kits to final size holes and the even more expensive engine option for the already very expensive RV14 let me doubt there will be an RV15 in the price range of the 12 or 9.
But nevertheless I‘m also excited about the release.