- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > The Never Ending Debate Section > Primers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2020, 02:52 PM

Default Primer

JMHO but I think any primer is better than none. However, no primer will probably survive plenty ling. Preparation of the surface before spraying is as important.
VANs has an aluminum sample outside for over 15 years with SW P60G2. It's not intended as a corrosion preventative either but it hasn't shown any corrosion.
wirejock at yahoo dot com
Donated 12/03/2019, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (2,000+ hours)
HS SB, empennage, tanks, wings, fuse, working finishing kit
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 06-18-2020, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKE JG View Post
....So you're telling me the self etching primer has no corrosion proofing value??....
Download the MSDS and see if there is any chemical in the paint which, on aluminum, will inhibit corrosion. Usually, if there is, it acts as a sacrificial material. And also read the data sheet to see if the paint is recommended for corrosion protection directly or if it needs a top coat of some sort.

Dave
Old 06-19-2020, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirejock View Post
JMHO but I think any primer is better than none. However, no primer will probably survive plenty ling. Preparation of the surface before spraying is as important.
VANs has an aluminum sample outside for over 15 years with SW P60G2. It's not intended as a corrosion preventative either but it hasn't shown any corrosion.
Over 17 years now.
P60G2 has chromates in it but Sherwin Williams will also tell you it provides no corrosion protection unless top coated.

I have 17 years of testing that shows that it does provide corrosion protection.

Scott McDaniels
Van's Aircraft Engineering Prototype Shop Manager
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 06-30-2020, 10:06 AM

Default Decision time

I have really struggled with this corrosion protection issue. The more I read about it the more I struggle. I live in the state of Utah which is second only to Nevada as the driest (water) state in the nation. I will be doing my entire build (-12iS) inside my home and garage. I have no facility to safely apply primer during our cold winter months.
My current plan is to not prime alclad coated surfaces at all. After the plane is finished and the exterior is painted I will rely on Corrosion X or ACF-50 for long term corrosion protection. Is this a reasonable plan or am I setting myself up for disaster due to something I have not considered. I'm sure I'm not the first to consider this approach. I've got to decide quick as I'm ready to start assembling parts.
Your advice will very much be appreciated.
Dues paid thru 2020
Old 06-30-2020, 11:51 AM

No worries.

My 1955 C180 was not primed. It's entire life was mostly in Colorado or South Dakota, and it has very, very minimal corrosion - and that came from the six months it was tied down outside of Philadelphia. Even the three years it spent in Southern California, in a nice hangar, didn't cause additional corrosion,even though the ocean was just three or four miles away.

I'm only priming my RV-3B for resale value. It doesn't add any practical value in my area.

Dave