What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Skyview Version 4

I upgraded my Skyview to the Version 4 level and am seeing communication faults on both servos. Dynon is telling me it's a wiring problem. Has anyone else seen this?

I upgraded my Skyview to the Version 4 level and am seeing communication faults on both servos. Dynon is telling me it's a wiring problem. Has anyone else seen this?

Wiring makes sense...

Added: SkyView Network redundancy monitoring, alerting, and automatic failover.

I bet the newly used redundant bus wires to your servos are mis-wired. They were not used in previous versions so a wiring error would be undetected.

Use a continuity checker to ensure the bus wires are correctly wired from the Skyview to the servos.

Check the SkyView Network Data 2 A and B lines...

Last edited:
check your network status page once in setup mode. Any errors will include which wires are the culprit. I suspect you'll see a "4/8" error which are the two network back-up wires. If so, check continuity, if open check to see if you have the wires swaped at the servo connector.

Loading skyview version 4

I had a time trying to load version 4. I down loaded the update quick version first one on the list to my memory stick. The Skyview 1000 would not recognize it and would not load. Then I checked with Dynon and they said to load all five downloads. one at a time . I did this and still no luck. Then according to the download instructions Download them first to your computer and then to the memory stick. No luck. I recall that there have been some trouble with the port on the bottom of the instrument panel and to remove the Skyview 1000 and use one of the ports on the back of the unit. I did so and IT WORKED loaded just 4 of the down loads I didn't load the EMS setup
don't think I want to change what I have Do I have to remove any thing on the Skyview 1000 and what should I leave on my memory stick It is full.

I continue to experience intermittent faults when using the under-panel USB socket. I ran a USB extension cable from the back of the Skyview into a slot cut into the map box and it works 100% of the time. The only thing you need on the memory stick are the files you want to read into the Dynon. The dynon files are not that big, you must have a bunch of other stuff on the stick if it is almost full!

Today I installed version 4. I also got the STANDBY NETWORK ERROR that others have reported. If many of us are getting this I bet that redundant pair of wires is crossed or something. The easy way to fix that may be to swap the pins in the DB connector but it will be awhile before i troubleshoot all of that. Someone else??? I also got the GPS ASSIST message for a short time while taxiing, which seemed unusual.

The update procedure went well. I did the following:
1. I put the version 4 software and obstacle and FAA data files on the stick. All are version 4. I used the one big file dynon supplies for the 4.0 update, not the individual files mentioned.

2. Pull the fuel pump fuse and turn on the master. Turn on the avionics master and the ap servos. All these need to be on for the update which includes the servos and the transponder.

3. When the dynon is up and running Put the memory stick in and make a backup of your data onto it. (no detailed instructions here on that, read the manual.)

4. Install the 4.0 upgrade. In the process the dynon will reboot a few times. As you watch you will see it updating many different components.

5. I made another backup file at this point.

6. Update the nav and obstacle data in the usual way.

7. Make another backup.

This worked for me with no hitches.

The 4.0 software has available new PDF files of the installation manual and pilot manual. Be sure to download those. I am going through them. I think I may need to modify a few of the settings about what information appears on the map at what zoom level.

Bayne, you do not manage any of the files on the D1000 itself. The update program handles that. I keep all of the old versions on my PC.

Last edited:

I installed the 4.0 upgrade a week ago and it all worked without any hitches.
I had the same problems as Bill that for some reason the permanent instrument tray USB gave file errors, but the direct SV1000 port worked well from the same stick.
I did not change the sensor file as I have made some custom signal (electrical fuel pump on/off).
Also installed the new European base map on top of the European FMS nav data.
Great improvement as we now see rivers, roads, cities with names and clear country borders. Do have to get used to the new airspace colours.
The auto pilot works great as it did before.

Flew it all for 5 hours now and its a great system.

Here is the solution: Date: August 31, 2012

FROM VANS:
Subject: Wiring change for Skyview Version 4.0 firmware update

Affected Parts: Harnesses WH-00045 (Finish kits shipped after Aug 2011)
and WH-00026 (12 SV FIN CONV kits shipped prior to
8/28/12).

Harnesses shipped after 8/28/12 are not affected.

Synopsis: These harnesses require pins to be swapped for the Skyview system
to work correctly once the firmware update has been performed

Recommended Action: Both Harnesses:
Swap pins 3 and 4 at the "Options" 37 pin d-sub that
connects to the AV-50000A Control Module. These
may have white wires, or blue/white and green/white
wires.

Use the TOOL ICM INSRT/EXTRCT.

If the pin breaks off, replacements are available, part ES SA-1017
http://www.vansaircraft.com/public/ service-rv12.htm

"...Use the TOOL ICM INSRT/EXTRCT..."

Either my tool is not the right size, or I missed the point on how to use it, but I can't get it in to extract the pins 3 and 4 of WH-00045.

I wonder if anyone has tried to swap the servo pins instead. According to the diagrams (at least on the Skyview harness kit shipped after to 08-25-11) I would need to swap pins 3 and 7 of the roll (front) servo.

Godo

Practice using an old computer plug. Google on how to use the tool. Easier to get at the Instrument panel plugs than the servos if your ship is built!!!

swapped pins 3+4

Wire change for skyview 4.0 update. I have the WH 00026 harness shipped prior to 8/28/12 I take it you only have ether the WH00026 or the WH00045 not both.
I swapped the pin 3 with pin 4 at the options 37 pin D sub that connects to the control module. The wires were white in color Worksgood no more caution ltg showing fault. The tool worked good I pushed it in from behind with a twisting motion and then used a small punch from the other side to push the pin out.
I also found the ground wire that Vans said could cause a fault in the EFIS WH00020 harness. It was black in color pin 30 on the 37 pin SVD1000 EFIS connector. going to pin 28 on the 30 pin AV5000 connector I cut it and heat sh rinked the ends off. I have a little engine hum in my head set I am not sure if I had it before I cut the wire or not.
Bayne

I also found the ground wire that Vans said could cause a fault in the EFIS WH00020 harness. It was black in color pin 30 on the 37 pin SVD1000 EFIS connector. going to pin 28 on the 30 pin AV5000 connector I cut it and heat sh rinked the ends off.
Bayne

Where did you find this ground wire info - I can't find it in Van's paperwork?

Bob Bogash
N737G

Ground wire remove

Dear RV-12 Skyview owner

We have determined that you may have an early harness manufactured to an obsolete standard, shipped prior to March 2012.

Please check your EFIS harness (WH-00020) to see if it has a wire running from Pin 30 on the 37 pin SVD 1000 EFIS connector to Pin 28 on the 30 pin AV-50000A connector. See drawing 42C-03.

If it does, remove this wire or cut it and heat shrink the ends to break the connection. You can access the connectors quite easily by removing the EFIS screen from the panel. Although this is simply an extra ground wire we have found that it can cause unwanted noise in the audio system, and later harnesses do not have it.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

Vans

Many thanks, Bayne. I researched my back emails and found the message you provided - I'm affected, and right at that point now.

Thanks again.

Bob

Back