What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 Prop Question

Walt Shipley

Guys, I'm getting ready to install the prop on my RV-12 and at the top left of page 47-03 there is a warning to read installation documentation included with the engine and prop. So far, I haven't found any installation instructions in the propeller box or any where else in the powerplant kit.

I assume there are instructions somewhere other than just the general instruction on figure 2 "Bolts, nuts and washers supplied with prop. 6 places"

Walt Shipley
Chuckey, TN

Walt, there is a 4 page document from Sensenich that was in my packing box. It has a pitch setting guide, warranty info, installation info, etc.. Mostly common sense stuff. I will fax it to you if you pm a fax number. Do you have a black hub, if not you might have a hub that was affected by a sb.

Hey Walt - -

Been a long time, but I think mine were in a plastic cover on the OUTSIDE of the prop box. Looks like a packing slip bag.

John Bender

Walt, take a good look at how the locking washers go together. I have found a couple of planes where they were installed backwards. Just double check.

Good luck.

Thanks Marty, this forum is truly a wealth of information. I was unaware of this updated manual.

The current revision of the RV-12 propeller manual is available on the Sensenich website. The original manual, a couple of pages long, as supplied by Van's, has been superseded. The periodic/12 month inspection requirements have changed. The bolt torque requirements have changed. Here is the link,

http://www.sensenich.com/files/docu..._2_Blade_RotaxJab_Instructions_1314811785.pdf

Thanks Marty, I wasn't aware of this either. Now I have the revised manual in time for my condition inspection next month. John

Walt, take a good look at how the locking washers go together. I have found a couple of planes where they were installed backwards. Just double check.

Good luck.

Larry, each pair of "Nord" washers are stuck together with adhesive to promote installing them correctly. But, you're right, they install a certain way, with the "ramps" of the washers facing each other and the "teeth" facing outwards.

One puzzling thing is that I have one pair of Nords left over. At first I thought I had failed to install one pair, but I removed all the bolts to check
and all were there. Eighteen pair of Nords are needed, but for some reason I have nineteen. I'm going to triple check my installation just to be sure as this is critical.

Walt

Marty, appreciate the updated info. Thank goodness for the forum. How else would one know? That however begs the question: why have not all owners of RV12's been copied on the update by Sensinich, or for that matter Vans? It either important, or it's not. If it is-TELL US! If not why issue it? Does give one the sense that this whole important information flow is a bit slipshod doesn't it? We're talking about airplanes here not go carts. Sorry for the rant, but sometimes these events are just ridiculous.
That said a quick read I just made of the 16 pages did not reveal anything significant to me other than a LOT more info has been presented. The only thing that I did see was adding engine oil to the nordlocks. I may have been asleep when I read the original handout , but I don't recall that. What am I overlooking?
Dick Seiders

changes

they added a prop removal at each conditional though you are experimental and subject only to AC43-13. Annual prop removal is not required by AC43-13. You are not bound to this statement though SLSA's are (like Van's red one).

Prop instructions

Call Van's and tell them to get you the documents. You guys are great at covering each others butts, but Van's gets paid to do this right!

new hint for Homebuilders @ EAA web site

Larry, each pair of "Nord" washers are stuck together with adhesive to promote installing them correctly. But, you're right, they install a certain way, with the "ramps" of the washers facing each other and the "teeth" facing outwards.

One puzzling thing is that I have one pair of Nords left over. At first I thought I had failed to install one pair, but I removed all the bolts to check
and all were there. Eighteen pair of Nords are needed, but for some reason I have nineteen. I'm going to triple check my installation just to be sure as this is critical.

Walt

There is a self explanatory video just released in the EAA site by Brian Carpenter (Rainbow Aviation).
It is about Installing a ground adjustable propeller and he uses a Rotax/Sensenich combination as example. He addresses exactly the point of the Nord washers and you have some close shots for clarity.

Enjoy...

http://www.eaavideo.org/video.aspx?v=1325845831001

Marty, appreciate the updated info. Thank goodness for the forum. How else would one know? That however begs the question: why have not all owners of RV12's been copied on the update by Sensinich, or for that matter Vans? It either important, or it's not. If it is-TELL US! If not why issue it? Does give one the sense that this whole important information flow is a bit slipshod doesn't it? We're talking about airplanes here not go carts. Sorry for the rant, but sometimes these events are just ridiculous.

Now for my Rant!

As is standard in the rest of the aircraft maintenence world, when performing maintenence, the mechanic is responsible to have the latest information available which means you are responsible to seek out the latest edition of the maintenence documentation.

It is not the responsibilty of manufacturers to keep track of everyone using their products and to make sure they have the latest info, that responsibility clearly falls on the person performing the maintenence!

Just because you are allowed to do the maintenence as an unlicensed mechanic does not relieve you of the responsibility of performing maintenence per 43.13.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

? 43.13 Performance rules (general).
(a) Each person performing maintenance, alteration, or preventive maintenance on an aircraft, engine, propeller, or appliance shall use the methods, techniques, and practices prescribed in the current manufacturer's maintenance manual or Instructions for Continued Airworthiness prepared by its manufacturer, or other methods, techniques, and practices acceptable to the Administrator, except as noted in ?43.16. He shall use the tools, equipment, and test apparatus necessary to assure completion of the work in accordance with accepted industry practices. If special equipment or test apparatus is recommended by the manufacturer involved, he must use that equipment or apparatus or its equivalent acceptable to the Administrator.

(b) Each person maintaining or altering, or performing preventive maintenance, shall do that work in such a manner and use materials of such a quality, that the condition of the aircraft, airframe, aircraft engine, propeller, or appliance worked on will be at least equal to its original or properly altered condition (with regard to aerodynamic function, structural strength, resistance to vibration and deterioration, and other qualities affecting airworthiness).

Back