What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

10-08 Trim Wiring Upgrade

Gandalf

Well Known Member
I just got off the phone with VANs and if you have an older tail kit and want to upgrade to the new trim wiring you can order the parts and they will ship them when they arrive. From what I can tell you will need:

The new wh-p30 wiring red 5? not yet in stock
The new f1287a trim motor cradle, same number, different part
Connectors ES 00044 priced
ES 00045 not priced, not in stock

I hope the new kit also addresses where the wiring rubs against the J stiffener right before it exits the tail cone.

JAL
Worlds Slowest Builder, but after a 30 year flying hiatus, passed BFR C172!

When you write "older tail kit" do you have a date...from this date prior are now upgraded to these identified parts?

Thanks,

When you write "older tail kit" do you have a date...from this date prior are now upgraded to these identified parts?

Thanks,

Since some of the parts are not yet in stock I think we can assume that all kits in customer hands today are "older" in this context.

Best regards,
Vern

I have tail kit 120581 that has the new tail cone top skin, ADAHARS Brackets, and updated trim wiring. Trim wire is still back ordered.

Thanks,

Sorry, but I don't have that date. I do know that the revised plans with the new trim wiring and hardware show a revision date of 10/18/2011. I am assuming that we connect the two hanging 1/4 inch tubes at some point! Trusting it will all make sense :)

JAL

The top skin has matched holes for the ADAHARS brackets which are now riveted to the top skin as opposed to the old remote compass brackets located on the fuselage frame.

Hi Bruce,

Thanks, sounds like we will have a lot of not so fun work to do if and when we get an avionics kit next year.

Best regards,
Vern

wiring kit upgrade

Hi,

I was also interested in upgrading the wiring now that it is still easy to do it having the two sections of the fuselage apart, as well as upgrading the wing connectors.
This is the info I got from Vans about availability and parts needed to upgrade to the "new" system.
Apparently the Wing Wire parts are available for purchase, though are not yet setup in the webstore (at least till yesterday). The trim wil be in a couple of weeks.

12 WING WIRE CONNECT RETRO WING/FUSE $80.00
1.000 BAG 2840 WIRING UPGRADE
1.000 BAG 2841 WIRING UPGRADE
2.000 F-00032 FUSE.SIDE COVER
1.000 F-00033 ELECTRICAL TEMPLATE
1.000 F-00034-L WING ELECTRICAL BRCKT
1.000 F-00034-R WING ELECTRICAL BRCKT
1.000 WIRE #18X55' M22759/16/18 55'
1.000 MANUAL-12 SECT.31A WING ELECTRIC UPDATE

The following kit is backordered and will be available in a week or 2.

12 TRIM WIRE UPGRADE CONNECTORS/TRAY
1.000 ES-00044 MOLEX PLUG 6 POSITION
1.000 ES-00045 MOLEX RECEPT.6 POS
6.000 ES-00046 MOLEX MICRO FIT SOCKT
6.000 ES-00047 MOLEX MICRO-FIT PIN
1.000 F-1287A SERVO TRAY

Godo

Thanks Godo, Vern, JAL, and Bruce for your input. I will watch Vans and order the "upgrades" when they become available.:)

The top skin has matched holes for the ADAHARS brackets which are now riveted to the top skin as opposed to the old remote compass brackets located on the fuselage frame.

Bruce... Do you recommend upgrading to the new top skin? I have the older fuselage kit sitting in storage :).

Jeff

Bruce... Do you recommend upgrading to the new top skin? I have the older fuselage kit sitting in storage :).

Jeff

That is a question for Van's Tech Support. However, I have been told that a template will available to modify the top skin to the new specifications.

That is a question for Van's Tech Support. However, I have been told that a template will available to modify the top skin to the new specifications.

Hi Bruce... I confirmed that we should be able to modify an existing tailcone in the future. So I will go ahead and use the old top skin.

Jeff

Back