What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder skin issues

SteeVaun

Welp, apparently I?m not having great luck with my rudder skin. Had to order a replacement last week because I crushed it with the garage door. Today while match drilling my replacement to the rudder stiffeners, two consecutive holes caught the air drill and enlarged the holes. I then enlarged to #30. l dimpled the skin along with the stiffener. Going to call vans tomorrow and confirm this is acceptable. Anyone have a similar issue?

oops rivet

An "oops" rivet, as they are commonly called, may help as it has a 1/8" shank but the same size head as a 3/32" countersunk rivet. You would need to dimple accordingly for 3/32.

Oops Rivets

Check out the thread "A Better Oops Rivet?". It may come in handy in the future for similar situations....

Charlie

You can also just dimple for and install a -4 rivet. So one rivet head will be larger than the others in the line. You will be the only one that ever notices.

Reamer

Try a reamer. They don't grab. The 7 rudder skins are thinner. Before you enlarge a hole up to the next size, measure it and make sure. #4 should fix it but might not have been necessary.

You'll have a few more. There's probably not an RV out there that doesn't have some oops rivets or next size up.

Before going up to the next size, make sure you have proper edge clearance before you drill too.

Back