What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Electric trim install

nohoflyer

Well Known Member
Patron
I?m installing the electric trim kit now before I close up the elevator. The elevator plans has drawings of the build but there is no mention of it in the instructions. Are guys just winging it? I?ve been on a few blogs for guidance but a step by step would be nice.

What I did in my RV-9

I just finished installing the electric trim in my RV-9. There was a little bit of "winging it", but basically I did the following:
*Checked the plans and drawings to ensure I installed the servo plates in the correct spot, and only riveted when I was sure it fitted properly.
*did lots of drilling and test fitting throughout

*Ensured the servo shaft and clevis didn't hit anything through full travel stroke (it didn't).
*Put snap bushing into the elevator spar hole
*held the trim tab in-trail with the elevator trailing edge
*Checked the length of the threaded rod between the servo & trim tab clevises, then cut it.
*wired up the switch, indicator, and servo (with a milwaukee 12v battery), drove the servo to the exact mid position THEN I cut the rod.
Finally I screwed and pinned everything together and tested again, checking that the servo electric cable didn't foul on the servo jackshaft. Re-checked for full range of movement without binding.

Lastly, can I say that I can't help it, I'm an Engineer. My wife knows it's a recognised condition.

Ya you have to wing it somewhat. The only thing that isn't obvious was I machine countersunk the two aft z-bracket rivets that are under the motor instead of dimpling (the motor is quite low to the plate here). You will also have to elongate the slot/opening for the rod. Mike B has a great build log here.

BTW, I found that Van's dimensions didn't work for my install. The lateral spacing of 1 3/8" from the edge pushed the servo too far off center. I found I needed to pull it in more to get a centered fit with the trim tab cut out and horn. Use the measurement as a guide and then adjust as needed. In my opinion...

Back