What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon Skyview Touch Classic vs HDX?

Rookie

I'm New Here
Hi gang,

Apologies for a Seagull poking his head in the RV tent, but the RV world has a lot more and varied experience than our relatively small group of SeaRey builders, and I'd be a fool not to ask for advice here. If I'm not welcome, apologies and safe flying, see you at Sun 'n Fun.

I'm resuming my build after a few years of hiatus (there was this girl... now my wife) and I've pulled my pretty much new in the box Skyview Touch out, only to discover that, like me, it's now considered a Classic. Unlike me, the Classic Skyview has been discontinued, and while I like shiny bells and whistles as much as the next person, I also like a simple, easy to operate unit since my flight envelope is low altitude day VFR, and I've also seen a few people say they prefer the Classic over the HDX.

I've played with the HDX and noted that they fixed a few of the human factors issues I didn't like, but I'm not convinced its enough to make me sell my Classic and spend the money on a HDX. Anyone interested in sharing their thoughts pro/con about the units?

btw, Yes, I did think about the Skyview SE, but I'm going to use my unit more as a MFD than a PFD, with it displaying MAP and ENGINE mode most of the time, and the SE doesn't have a MAP mode.

Last edited:
How old is it? Check the service bulletins (there are a handful, but only one that was significant back in like 2013).

I think the only way to answer your question is for you to find and HDX and play with it a bit. I have the Classic Touch, and love it, and see no real reason to go to HDX (not to mention, it would mean a few minor panel modifications, and I'm loath to change anything at this point :) ). Be advised that the Classic Touch is no longer being manufacturered, but Dynon has stated they will continue to support it.

Lots of info on the Dynon forums, too...

I like my set of SV Touch screens just fine but plan to update to the HDX someday. If you decide to sell your classic screen, lots of people are looking to buy.

Once you have all the EMS parameters set up with appropriate alarms, you won't look at much more than CHT, EGT, MAP, RPM, oil temp, AMPs, volts and fuel levels (maybe a couple more) and that stuff fits easily on the 20% screen.

Last edited:
I'm resuming my build after a few years of hiatus (there was this girl... now my wife) and I've pulled my pretty much new in the box Skyview Touch out, only to discover that, like me, it's now considered a Classic. Unlike me, the Classic Skyview has been discontinued, and while I like shiny bells and whistles as much as the next person, I also like a simple, easy to operate unit since my flight envelope is low altitude day VFR, and I've also seen a few people say they prefer the Classic over the HDX.

I've played with the HDX and noted that they fixed a few of the human factors issues I didn't like, but I'm not convinced its enough to make me sell my Classic and spend the money on a HDX. Anyone interested in sharing their thoughts pro/con about the units?

btw, Yes, I did think about the Skyview SE, but I'm going to use my unit more as a MFD than a PFD, with it displaying MAP and ENGINE mode most of the time, and the SE doesn't have a MAP mode.

Rookie,
As others have advised, the best thing is to spend some quality time working through various flight tasks with each system. The problem is that accessing the various units for such a comparison can be problem other than at one of the larger national shows.

Good news though, it appears you're in La Conner, WA. If so why don't you just drive on down to Dynon HQ in Woodinville where we have them all on display for you to compare side by side? I'd be happy to spend some time with you since I work there now.

BTW, I like taking a Sunday morning motorcycle ride up to La Conner and having b'fast at the Calico Cupboard Old Town Cafe, killer salmon cream cheese scramble!

Rookie,
As others have advised, the best thing is to spend some quality time working through various flight tasks with each system. The problem is that accessing the various units for such a comparison can be problem other than at one of the larger national shows.

Good news though, it appears you're in La Conner, WA. If so why don't you just drive on down to Dynon HQ in Woodinville where we have them all on display for you to compare side by side? I'd be happy to spend some time with you since I work there now.

BTW, I like taking a Sunday morning motorcycle ride up to La Conner and having b'fast at the Calico Cupboard Old Town Cafe, killer salmon cream cheese scramble!

Aw geez, Randy, wish I had known, my "Unicorn" Skyview Touch locked up while I was updating it Sunday, just ran it down to Dynon yesterday and she's in the queue to find out what happened. Jeff was kind enough to give me a tour while I was there and I'm jealous. Did you get one of the "aviation enthusiast wanted" jobs?

I've spent some time playing with the HDX at Sun 'n Fun, and I spent some more time in the lobby playing with the HDX yesterday (look for the one with the puddle of drool in front of it) and it firmed up my resolve to get it, then on the drive home I started thinking "Yahbut with the money I spend upgrading I could buy .....", and trying to rationalize wants vs needs vs budget. I did pick up a 2020 GPS antenna, and the gent at the front was kind enough to accept my 470 as a trade-in for a 472, so my AmEx got a workout.

I'm home until next Tuesday, if you're up this weekend give me a holler, I'm at Skagit Airport.

Steve
http://seareybuild.blogspot.com/
red duck at earth link dot net

btw, for lunch or dinner you need to come to KBVS and eat at Flyers Restaurant, one of the best burgers I've ever had, anywhere.

Last edited:
I think Randy got a little higher position than ?aviation enthusiast wanted.? I think it was more of a Mitch Lock type of position.

Randy, if I?m ever in that neck of the woods, I would love to tour the Dynon facility.

Randy, if I?m ever in that neck of the woods, I would love to tour the Dynon facility.

Jesse, you've been involved with Dynon for a long time, I can't believe you haven't been here before. Would love to show you around, and lunch would be on me!

I think Randy got a little higher position than “aviation enthusiast wanted.” I think it was more of a Mitch Lock type of position.

Randy, if I’m ever in that neck of the woods, I would love to tour the Dynon facility.

Google is my friend, I should have done a search first. As usual, my best reflex is when I open my mouth my foot shoots right into it. I'm surprised I don't have Keds permanently imprinted on the roof of my mouth. Congrats on the new gig, Randy.

Randy,

Is the Skyview "classic" discontinued? That is news to me, and I would be surprised. The SE I can understand.

To the original post, HDX is night and day. BUT, you will not be unhappy with the SV-T either.

Randy,

Is the Skyview "classic" discontinued? That is news to me, and I would be surprised. The SE I can understand.
We will be announcing some adjustments to the complete SkyView offering during the next month. SkyView Classic will not be discontinued however.

Last edited:
Back