What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Look ma, no hands!

Skunkworks

RV-12 with Dynon Skyview glass panel wireless enabled and iPad Mini running ForeFlight:cool:.

Used my iPad Mini to make a course correction to an active flight plan using ForeFlight.
Using wireless connectivity transmitted change to Skyview glass panel.
Once uploaded changes N470MB made the course correction to avoid the Class B space around Washington, DC.
Click pic below for short video first use on 23-Mar-2015 in N470MB.

You've just got to be amazed by the level of integration and the rate of technology advancement we're seeing in our airplanes these days. The poor folks with certificated aircraft are slowly starting to come around and look at us Experimental owners with envy. I can't blame them! That's some seriously cool stuff in your panel!

Skunkworks,
Is that another airplane at your 11 o'clock? Easy to miss with these heads down gadgets.
:)

I'm about to set mine up.
Just got an iPad Air and have the Dynon wifi USB and Ram mount on the way.

Anything special that you have to do to set the iPad up?

Dynon said most are connecting the wifi to a rear panel USB port so they can still use the one under the panel for the Dynon update USB and so can they can record screen shots etc
Do you have your iPad mount under the SkyView?

Nice video!

Last edited:
Alex, yes that is my friend whom was watching out for me that day. Was staying a few miles off to my left. We had 4 aircraft flying home at the time. We were all on the radio chatting and watching each other.

You are right about the heads down part all these gadgets inside the cockpit are keeping your eyes inside too much.

Bogie at 11?

Skunkworks,
Is that another airplane at your 11 o'clock? Easy to miss with these heads down gadgets.
:)

Looks like a "former bug" to me. Hmm...watched it again and still didn't see um. Gotta get new specs before the checkride!

Last edited:
I'm about to set mine up.
Just got an iPad Air and have the Dynon wifi USB and Ram mount on the way.

Anything special that you have to do to set the iPad up?

Dynon said most are connecting the wifi to a rear panel USB port so they can still use the one under the panel for the Dynon update USB and so can they can record screen shots etc
Do you have your iPad mount under the SkyView?

Nice video!
I used the usb port on the back of the unit without the dongle.
Nothing special to configure just need to connect to Skyview wireless.
Then able to download or upload flight plans between Skyview and ForeFlight
I have a cheap suction cup mount that is spring loaded to hold the iPad Mini in place below the Skyview.

Just installed my Dynon WiFi adapter in SkyView today.

Unit came with no instructions however if you go to Foreflight's site they have a detailed installation/set-up.

I installed in the USB at the back of SkyView so that the USB under the panel can be used to record snapshots, install Dynon software updates etc.

The accompanying dongle is probably for updates to the adapter itself I think.

Once powered up the set-up in Dynon is pretty straightforward. It asks you to create a password and another line is to enable it. Skyview calls my adapter Skyviw-N767HG
On my iPad in WiFi you have to select Skyview-N767HG and enter the password and it remembers it.

Right away in Foreflight I selected a route I planned at home hit the button and it was sent to Skyview and is all set up on flight plan and on the map. Awesome.
I added Synthetic Vision to my Foreflight Basic subscription and if you select it you can get Skyview attitude, GPS sped, heading, GPS flight plan track, and altitude. Press another button and you can get it fullscreen. Again, pretty cool.

I'm still waiting for my RAM Mount so i flew today with it on the next seat. It's harder to read in sunlight and it seemed to get quite hot. I'm planning to mount it and have the vent full open and so that should improve things. I'm thinking about fabricating a flexible shade to go over the iPad. I got the iPad Air over the mini (these old eyes!) and it's quite close in size to Skyview.

I changed routes and Skyview got them immediately as well as going direct and inserting a waypoint.

All in all, and really good addition and 'almost' a full backup to Skyview (no EMS) but much better than flying real seat of the pants with only a radio after a screen freeze. (Ask me how I know).
I just dropped the Seattle Avionics subscription. All I really looked at was sectionals and geo-taxi charts. neither was crucial but I feel the Seattle subscription of $99 pretty steep for what I personally used. Right now I have Seattle still in my other USB just for taxi chart).
I just renewed Basic FF (some places online say you need Pro but either Basic or Pro work with WiFi adapter) for $75 and added Synthetic Vision for $25. That's the same price as Seattle Avionics but FF is SO much better, IMHO, and that package offers so much more.

Good job Dynon!

PocketFMS wireless data transfer?

Hi,
Wondering if someone in the European crew managed to get the FPL transferred wireless via the EasyVFR sw.

I managed to setup the WiFi network between the Dynon and the iPad, enabled the WiFi transfer in the EasyVFR settings, and requested in the FP tab to send the flight plan through wifi.

All I got was a message asking me to enable the receiving device to accept the FPL.
On the other hand, the Dynon FPL options for importing and exporting FPLs were disabled (grey).

With Foreflight,
-Are your FPL import/export options also greyed out?
-Do you need to do something on the Dynon side to get the FPL (other than setting up the wifi link)?

Thanks in advance,

Godo

Gleaned this from the Dynon Skyview Pilot Guide pg 7-50, maybe this is the problem.

"Lastly, to allow SkyView to receive flight plans from a connected ForeFlight app, confirm that ?Allow Incoming Flight Plans? is set to YES under MAP MENU > MAP MODE > FLIGHT PLAN OPTIONS."

Back