What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine Mount: Alternative instructions for Page 46-06

RDupee

My WD-1220 Engine Mount came with gussets that do not show in the photos in the plans.
The instructions in Page 46-06 Steps 3-5 did not work with my engine mount.
Vans support suggested this alternative which worked for me:

"The electrical clamp/harness up top will have be moved out of the way. Start with aligning the top right bolt (viewed from the rear), then the bottom right. Twist the mount around the rear of the engine and carefully pull it around the water pump tube until the mount bolt aligns. The top left bolt should be close at this point and you can wiggle the mount into alignment and tighten the bolts."

Rich
RV-12 120259

DRuppee Thanks. Indeed I could not get the gusseted version of the engine mount to fit using the illustration and instructions. I positioned the right upper mount on the right upper engine mounting point as you suggested and was able to then rotate the mount into position. It was a _very_ tight fit.

Jeff

I ended up pulling the starter (had already had it off once for a wayward nut). I couldn't get in on and was worried about scratching the powder coat off. Without the starter it went right on.

Gusset plates

Why do the engine mounts now have gusset plates? Is there an issue here I don't know about?

Why do the engine mounts now have gusset plates? Is there an issue here I don't know about?

Jamesey... The gussets were added to the two lower mounting points. I did not ask what prompted the revision when I called.

Jeff

Back