What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Filter Fuel Injection System

terrye

Well Known Member
The fuel system for my RV-9A with a fuel injected IO-320 will have Andair GAS375 gascolators in the wing roots (Canadian regs, gotta have a gascolator or two) and an electric fuel boost pump in the usual place in the tunnel. The Andair gascolator filters are rated at 70 micron. The Precision Airmotive Silverhawk system requires a 32 micron filter upstream of the engine driven pump.

I have looked at all the inline filters (Flo Eze etc) and don't want to have a filter in the cabin and don't want to have a filter that I have to disconnect the lines to service the filter. Ideally I would like a Tee type filter mounted to the firewall in the engine compartment. After an extensive internet search, the closest I can find is an AN6234 filter. This is normally a hydraulic filter, and rated for 1500 psi, overkill I know but if it is satisfactory as a fuel filter it's a good possibility.

Has anyone used an AN6234 filter as a fuel filter on an injected engine? Can anyone recommend any other 32 micron Tee type fuel filter?

32micron fuel filter

OK so nobody has used an AN6234 as a fuel filter.

Has anyone used a 32 micron fuel filter or gascolator that is not the FlowEze or Earl's inline style?

I'd like to see Don from AFP weigh in on this but...

AFP uses a 125 micron filter in their pump kit, this has been the standard for all of Van's FI systems, both Bendix and AFP. I went to a 74 micron filter just to gain a bit of extra filtering but was also cautious in the begining to make sure I did not have any pump cavitation as a result (I am using a Weldon for a back up pump in place of the AFP setup). In addition, the filter should be upstream of the pump to protect it from debris and cllogging.

Mounting the filter on the firewall also turns the filter into a nice big fat fuel heat sink, just ahead of the mechanical fuel pump, this is a bad combination.

I just cleaned my filter (which is located just after the selector) the other day, no big deal, minimal mess.

looks like

thr kr filter in the second photo has hose clamp type fittings. Be sure to use AN-6 fittings. I have an extra filter that came with my Vans FI pump kit if you are interested. I used an Andair gascolater in place of the filter... Email me at fraziernv at gmail dot com.

Yes AN6 fittings, the first link.

I quoted 14 sq in off the top of my head, but the value I actually measured is higher, I just didn't want to be way off on the high side.

They are significantly less expensive than the FlowEzy.

Last edited:
Fuel Filter

I have the Vans electric fuel pump and filter system forward of the fuel valve for my IO-320. Cleaned it last month. Had the same experience as Walt's post above "no big deal, minimal mess." As always, when fooling with fuel, keep ignition sources away.

Another option from Flowezy is the 3000 series with 20 sq inches filtration area.

Old thread I know. :eek:

Which filtration level did you go with? I like that they offer a few choices. Does a 40 micron with that much surface area sound about right?

Last edited:
Which filtration level did you go with?

I used an Edelbrock 8130 w/40 u filter in each wing root a few years ago. I think Danny King uses the same thing but I'll leave it to him to comment. No problem with flow or fuel pressure. I have found a few little fuzzy things in it and a couple of little pieces of tank sealant. No problems with a clogged injector since installing them either, which was the point of putting them in.

I used an Edelbrock 8130 w/40 u filter in each wing root a few years ago. I think Danny King uses the same thing but I'll leave it to him to comment. No problem with flow or fuel pressure. I have found a few little fuzzy things in it and a couple of little pieces of tank sealant. No problems with a clogged injector since installing them either, which was the point of putting them in.

I ended up with Speedway Motors in line filter that seems decent enough. 45 micron and enough surface area to satisfy me. :D

Thanks for your response and input, not many people respond any more. :eek:

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Black...Flow-Fuel-Filter-Stainless-Element,51019.html

Last edited:
40 micron

I used a 40 micron SS filter. Blessed by Precision. I got it from Don at AFP and it fit inside the filter housing that comes from Vans. This filter is insulated with firesleeve and located on the firewall as far as practical from heat sources, downstream of both pumps. All fuel lines FWF are fire sleeved for temp control. One Andair gascolator in each wing root (per Canadian regs) used a pre-filter. Purge valve from AFP in case things get heat soaked when making a short fuel stop.

Bevan

Back