What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon first time boot questions

Godo

I booted up the system connected as per Vans instructions for the first time and everything seemed to work well.

I?ve updated the system to v5.1 and subsequently added the EMS data files, maps, etc.

After running a Network Configuration, two servos, ADAHRS and display were found and updated. (Nothing displayed for GPS or Xponder, but no error msgs either).

I have been having nightmares about my ability to forget a cable or a connection during that long Section 32, but everything seemed to work as expected, and I felt really happy: No red crosses on the display, but the three panels, though not what I expected them to be...

1. My PFD shows the plane to be upside down, though the ADAHRS is correctly positioned per plans. (there is a warning to calibrate compass though)

2. Map shows location at Dynons HQ, ~4950 miles away from Barcelona (Spain) were I?m located.

3. System goes hand-to-hand with the Master switch. Should it be always on when the master is on? Any way to power it of before disconnecting Master? (I?ve tried holding key 1 and reboots again)

Any similar experiences out there? Thanks in advance

Godo

Dynon Setup

First, both the GPS and transponder will not show up on the network page as they don't use the Skyview Network bus, but you should also see the EMS box if installed.

If you want to check out the GPS, go to SETUP MENU > LOCAL DISPLAY SETUP > SERIAL PORT SETUP and check serial port 5. Verify that the following is setup. These should have been done at Dynon as that is what they setup as the default. Check both displays if installed.

1. Enter the Serial Port 5 Setup Menu (SETUP MENU > LOCAL DISPLAY SETUP > SERIAL PORT SETUP > SERIAL PORT 5 SETUP).
2. Set serial 5 input device to SV-GPS-250
3. Set serial 5 in function to POS 1
4. Set serial 5 baud rate to 9600

If everything is setup correctly, the RX data should be counting up with no errors. If you have everything in setup correct, then check your wiring. There should be all 4 wires connected to GPS. RX and TX data, and the power and ground. Also, if you have two displays installed, the GPS needs to be connected in parrallel to both displays from the GPS. You will also need to connect any other serial devices in parrallel for each serial input/output from source and both displays. Check install manual on page 4-11.

As for the plane upside down, heading calibration has no effect to attitude. I will just ask the obvious questions. Even though you pointed the ADHARS in the right direction, did you mount it right side up? The plate where you put the screws in, need to be down.

I am doing this from memory, so hope my memory is correct.

I am presently away from home, but you can check the install manual of serial port configuration starting on page 4-19. This is from version 5.1 install manual.

Hope this helps.

Brian

Last edited:
Thanks Brian!

As I was to start the GPS setup I incidentally started with the xponder setup, when I was prompted to update the firmware (I guess for the ADSB compatibility that wouldn't work in Europe anyway...), but I just went ahead and update it, as updating "usually" never hurts...

Since then the display only keeps on rebooting itself just before the moment when the list of loaded devices used to appear, so no chances for any setup.

I've switched off the Avionics main switch first and then Autopilot one, but no change. I then have disconnected first the backup battery, and one by one transponder, EMS and GPS. All that starting and stopping the Display from the Master Switch after every disconnect: Nothing... display still goes in a re-booting cycle on and on and on...

I've tried to press and hold key1, but probably this only works once all program code is loaded. (Same goes for keys 7,8 and setup, as I tried eventually to reload V. 5.1 through the USB key)

Just the ADARHS is there with the Display, but frankly I was too upset and tired to lay down in the canoe to disconnect anything.

Any idea on how to troubleshoot this ever-rebooting display?

Thanks in advance,

Godo

PS: Jack, my home airport is LELL (Sabadell) about 20 min drive from Barcelona, but the test are to be conducted in LEIG (Igualada), about 50 min from the city center. The place is dominated by Tecnams, but there are a couple of other RVs (8 and 9) but no 12... ...yet!

Dynon Bootup

Godo,

Try this. One thing that I have seen that causes mine to not completely reboot while starting up is low battery volts. First disconnect your backup battery and be sure your main battery has a good charge. Greater than 11 volts, but 12 volts is even better. Remember that the backup battery will not charge unless your generator is charging your main battery, so low volts there can cause problems too.

If you are electronic savvy, one thing that I did was make a test harness with a new 37 pin connector that just has the power connections on it so as to remove any other wires out of the problem. Hook it up to a external power supply and try to boot up system and see if it does boot ups.

Normally this works for me. Once it starts after that I am good to go.

As for you powering your unit from the master. Mine comes right off the master battery bus as I need engine indications for starting. The backup battery prevents the display from rebooting when you crank the engine.

If you have good power and the unit just keeps rebooting, then there is something internally not right with the unit. I had to send both my displays back after I installed them to have the firmware reinstalled by Dynon. How old is the unit? Is you effected by the SB? Just throwing out questions to you to think about.

Brian

...and was the battery!

I started the first boot with a fully loaded battery. I just run the update to v5.1,and loaded maps and EMS settings, followed by a network configuration to discover the devices. I tried to load the xponder settings and was promted with its update too.

Sure, I may not have been the most efficient one finding the correct place to do the changes, but all in all the whole process took no more than 30-35 min max, so I couldn't imagine the battery load to be responsible of my bad night of sleep...

Thanks! Even if the battery is not delivering, I will sleep better tonight...

Godo

first time avionics power-up

I booted up the system connected as per Vans instructions for the first time

I've basically finished the avionics install, but I see no instructions for powering up the system for the first time (except for one page that discusses setting the audio levels).

Where do I find the instructions you referred to?

Thanks

"...as per Vans instructions..." was referred to the connection, no to the boot, which I agree with you there are no specific guidelines other than the Dynon Installation/Owner manuals... ...and of course, this forum!

Essentially what I did was to plug everything, then the loaded battery, and switch on the master. In less than 20 seconds you?ll know if everything was not plugged correctly, or if you need to practice your strongest language.

The only thing I've been told to not to do (and I still have no idea why) is to keep on loading the battery while working on upgrades and setups. For the rest, plug and play.

Godo

Back