What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Temp Power to Skyview

JEG

I have finished installing Skyview and am wondering if there is a safe way to power the complete system for operational test (excluding engine data) without harming anything. Thanks, John

If you have the backup battery installed, you probably could use that for a limited test run. Other than that, if you're sure you have the power connected correctly, I wouldn't think it would be a problem just to turn it on using your battery or a 12v dc power supply. The key is to make sure you have the two input power wires connected properly and of course to ensure the unit is grounded correctly with the two ground wires

Just charge your main battery to full using a battery maintainer. Pull your fuel pump fuse. Turn on your master switch and enjoy the view.

Can you recommend a particular brand and model? Also, with the Skyview conversion, can this be done through the Cigarette lighter power source?

Guess I should have been more explicit as to what I am trying to do. I have installed all the electronics and Skyview, Van's does not furnish battery and associated items to power up the system until you purchase the engine. I would like to find a way around it and power up the system. Thanks all for your input. John

If you are EAB you have a lot of reading to do from the Skyview Installation Manual. If you just do not yet have the engine kit, I suggest you get any car or motorcycle battery would work as the 12V source. All of the pinouts are in the Installation manual. Also, Vans issued electrical distribution drawings that show their new "master box" which would help you do a temporary hookup.

The drawings that came with the Vans avionics kit show how to connect the power wires into the switching panel, but you probably do not have those wires as they are part of the engine kit. It might help you to obtain the plans for the engine sections 45 and 50 in advance, showing the battery and master and starter solenoids, either from Vans or maybe a nearby builder to help you figure that part out.

Last edited:
charging te battery and running SV

Bill suggest to fully charge the battery before powering up the Skyview system.
I remember reading somewhere in the forum an advice to disconnect any external battery loader before turning on the SkyView.
If correct, do you see a reason for it? Thanks in advance,

Godo

Temporary battery

I have now used a temporary battery on three airplanes during the build process, a 14.4 volt portable drill battery. The voltage is almost exactly what everything will see during full engine operation, it is easy to recharge, convenient, and it will power most anything for quite a while. I used it this week to test the lights in RV-12 wings, just to see if everything was wired correctly. We didn't use it on the Skyview in the first RV-12 because we had the engine kit, but it should work. First check the voltage to see if it is within spec for whatever you are testing, and mark and observe polarity. These are pretty easy to find.

Bob

Power-up procedure?

Out of curiosity, for those who follow the instructions and do the power on once the engine kit is in, is there a specific procedure in the RV-12 instruction manual intended at preventing damage in case of shorts or wiring errors? I mean something like disconnecting cables and applying power to a limited number of equipment, then progressively reconnecting all cables while checking after each power-off/on that there is no short/smoke. This would have the advantage of isolating a problem area faster. I would hate to smoke a wire inside the tight bundle that runs between the instrument panel and the back of the cockpit. Is such a procedure in the sections 45 and 50 mentioned by Bill Hollifield? If it does not exist it should be created for the benefit of all as it makes perfect sense for an E-LSA that is expected to strictly follow the plans wiring (as opposed to an E-AB).
As a side comment, I still remember as a young engineer powering up a Control Data super computer to see smoke going up over a frame (it's when I learned that when the circuit breaker doesn't stay up, it's not the circuit breaker, dummy!:eek:)

I mean something like disconnecting cables and applying power to a limited number of equipment, then progressively reconnecting all cables while checking after each power-off/on that there is no short/smoke.

You should not ever see smoke from any shorted wires melting... that is what the protection fuses are for.

I still remember as a young engineer powering up a Control Data super computer to see smoke going up over a frame (it's when I learned that when the circuit breaker doesn't stay up, it's not the circuit breaker, dummy!:eek:)

And in the same vein... while testing, do not replace a fuse in your RV-12 with a larger value, just because it blows.

You should not ever see smoke from any shorted wires melting... that is what the protection fuses are for.

Still, a progressive power up could be usefull to locate the source of a short detected by a blown fuse. It's what I will do anyway when time comes but I would rather use a method that has VANs endorsement.

Back