What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pitot/Static Air Question

Stockmanreef

Well Known Member
Couple of questions:

1. For the Garmin Pitot, would I use push fittings for the tubing coming off the aluminum tubing or flare the tubing and use Al nut fittings? Any reason that I can't use tubing push-to-push fittings to convert from Al tubing to plastic. Does this make sense?

2. Do you think that it matters if one uses the expensive push fittings for 1/4" tubing from stein air (see below) or cheaper ones from another source (like amazon)? I plan to use to connect to the G5 and AHRS. I have a bunch that came with the static port system, but all are 90 degree elbows with 1/8" NPT to 1/4" tubing. Kinda hard to put on with other things in the way.

https://www.steinair.com/product/fitting-straight-18-npt/

Attachments

• 20190529_140415.jpg
    20190529_140415.jpg
    325.5 KB · Views: 405
I have a couple of those. I was just wondering if I could avoid flaring the tubing by using the push fitting on both sides (a coupling fitting so to speak).

I think it would work most of the time; but sometimes the seal would not be reliable. As the metal expands and contracts, it can change position in the push fitting; it is also sensitive to contaminants on the metal at the time the fitting is placed. Finally, the friction fit to metal is not as good as to the nylon tube since the push to fit grips the soft nylon when you pull back to seat it.

I spent the extra dollars and flared the tubing for an AN fitting that I screwed a push fitting into.

The push-on fittings are designed for plastic tube. Flaring the tube is an easy operation once you get used to it, or you can ask one of the EAA members to help you.

This is how I did mine. The plastic tubes slide over the aluminium and a glue lined heat shrink covers the join.

Attachments

• DB3F90A6-0952-4875-BCA2-2CB9AEDB7843.jpeg
    DB3F90A6-0952-4875-BCA2-2CB9AEDB7843.jpeg
    935.3 KB · Views: 420
Don't forget about maintenance, P-S checks etc.
Flared fittings are good, I've also used high temp silicone tubing with great success, easy to use and connect/disconnect for testing.
(I'm not sure the heat shrink is a great idea)

The push fit connections like Safe Air are the same as standard push fit fittings for copper tube for central heating etc.

The smaller diameter tubes use fittings used in the bar trade to pipe gas to kegs etc.

Search Fleabay and they are everywhere or use Safe Air.

I was just trying to be lazy. The push fittings don't work with the AL tubing because the tubing thickness. I flared the tubing ends with the flare tool I bought a long time ago. Only the second time I have used it.

thanks
ken

Short Answer - Maybe

Couple of questions:

2. Do you think that it matters if one uses the expensive push fittings for 1/4" tubing from stein air (see below) or cheaper ones from another source (like amazon)?
https://www.steinair.com/product/fitting-straight-18-npt/

The Stein fittings and other acceptable ones use stainless retainers within. Cheap fittings have plastic retainers. The hard SAE tubing we use may not mate will with a cheap version.

I have used these John Guest fittings for decades on RO systems. If you pull off the loose piece, you can remove the retainer and o-ring seal. If they ever leak, the o-ring can be replaced.

Choose non-proven fittings carefully.

Back