What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Connect Dynon Heated Pitot Fault Light to D180

Pilot135pd

Well Known Member
I installed the Dynon AOA heated pitot and the last thing I need to connect is the heater controller malfunction wire.

I had connected it to the DB37 Pin 23 thinking it's a General Purpose Contact and all I need is for it to tell me when it goes to ground. So apparently it doesn't work there but I don’t know why it's not working there.

So I go back to the installation manual and on page 6-18 under Contacts shows what could be for the Pitot Heater so I go into the D180 and it lets me change the name to Pitot, doesn't mean it's for that though.

This is what I entered ( any suggestions on what labels to enter here? ) :

Then I find yet another page 3-18 that ALSO shows Contacts, but then here's the next issue. I open the EMS DB25 connector and it doesn't have those color wires (Brown/Blue or Brown/Yellow) plus it doesn't even have pins 1 through 5 or pins 14 through 17 installed. So I guess it's a homemade harness (even though they still used the ugly brown 2 wire cables). I have an 0-360 so it looks like they're using pins 6-13 and 18-25 for the EGT/CHT sensors.

Do I connect the pitot heater controller to Pin 9 like it says on Page 3-18? But if you follow the installation manual on Page 2-9 it shows Pin 9 is to be used for EGT #3...So where do I connect the wire ??? ....:confused:

Last edited:
Ok so after pulling out the Dynon and reading the manuals for the 100th time I gave my Air Force days boss a call and we brainstormed for a little while and we came to the conclusion that I was correct with pin 9, but on the DB37 connector and not on the EMS DB25 connector (that's only for the EGT/CHT connections).

So about 2 hours later I had it all connected and programmed but now have another question. How do I test this alarm?

The settings are in a picture above and I'm sure there's something I have to change but don't want to burn anything.

Pull the pitot heat CB

Carlos,

Turn the system ON with the switch, then pull the pitot heat CB, and the controller with change the output state to a ground, and your widget should turn the opposite color from when the system is on.

If it does, you are good.

Brian

Last edited:
Carlos,

Turn the system ON with the switch, then pull the pitot heat CB, and the controller with change the output state to a ground, and your widget should turn the opposite color from when the system is on.

If it does, you are good.

Brian

Thanks, I’ll try that tomorrow.

Ok that didn?t work. Maybe because the switch is powered by the circuit breaker so pulling the circuit breaker and turning off the switch does the same thing, it removes power from red power wire to the heater controller. There?s got to be something I?m missing here.

Contact Choice

Carlos,

Do you have the HS34 installed? The manual says that the EMS Contacts are not available unless it is.
Perhaps you can use one of the General Purpose contacts instead if they are available, at least for a test.

Under the CONTACTS section of the D180 manual:

"Note that while contacts are shown below the HS34 INPUTS section, they are not available until you purchase and connect an HS34 expansion module. Ensure you are configuring in either of the two EMS CONTACT menus.".

Don

Carlos,

Do you have the HS34 installed? The manual says that the EMS Contacts are not available unless it is.
Perhaps you can use one of the General Purpose contacts instead if they are available, at least for a test.

Under the CONTACTS section of the D180 manual:

"Note that while contacts are shown below the HS34 INPUTS section, they are not available until you purchase and connect an HS34 expansion module. Ensure you are configuring in either of the two EMS CONTACT menus.".

Don

The contacts you're talking about are 4 additional ones to the first 2 that are on the DB37 connector Pins 9 and 10 (see page 3-18). Thanks.

So what were the results of the EMS DB-37 P9 check or have you gotten around to that?

:cool:

I took a break from the pitot light so I could get something else done because Thursday I spent all day on that and Friday it was practically the same thing. By the looks of the latest Garmin support email I think they gave up too.

I?ll try that later today after I check an audio mixer issue.

Back