What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Slider Help...

amaris

Well Known Member
Well, I've hit the canopy phase and I have to say, I'm kind of lost my way. I've read the plans a few times, I've looked at as many build sites as I can. I think I need some additional help. Obviously in person would be great, but Facetime/Skype might work too. The only local RVs are tip-up or built by someone else.

I'm not sure what steps I need to do next and feel like I'm spinning my wheels by looking and measuring but not taking action.

I've laid out the tracks, built the rear track and now not sure how to get through the next step.

Please PM me if you can offer some help.

Thank you very much!

Slider help

Allen
Happy to help. Just finished painting my one piece fiberglass canopy skirt. Planning to sikaflex it this week. Feel free to e-mail, text or call.
Wirejock at yahol dot com
Five one two 632 five one five zero

I did a slider and my build log here has quite a bit of detail on it. As always feel free to PM me any questions you have!

Thanks for the help, guys. This is why this site is so amazing! I'm making slow progress, but progress nonetheless. My buddy is going to help me on Sunday. He's got 50lbs on me so his weight will be useful.

Still at it...

I'm hoping to resurrect this one again. I'm still having trouble with this #!$*& slider. It's fitting better but I still have a host of problems. Anyone willing to spend 30 minutes on skype or Facetime so we can see if we can get this thing progressing again?

The two biggest problems I had with the canopy frame itself were matching the front and rear hoops to the roll bar and the aft deck skin profile. I assume you have mounted the roll bar and you are happy with the result. The roll bar too had to be bent to fit but that's not what you are asking.

The advice from Vans is to lean on the frame (or pull between tubes) to bend it to shape. Didn't work for me, I'm a lightweight and the 4130 tubing has a lot of springback.

After trying to bend the front and rear hoops using a ratchet strap between the square side tubes and the center round tube, I also gave this up. This would change the distance between the side and round tubes, but not the profile of the front and rear hoops.

What I finally did was trace the roll bar and aft deck skin profiles on a piece of cardboard, then transfer these profiles to my workbench. I bought a small hydraulic pump/hose/cylinder (portapower) and made a "T" frame from aluminum channel. The hydraulic cylinder was mounted to the down leg of the "T" and I made small wooden bending shoes for each end of the cross "T" as well as a wooden bending shoe for the cylinder. The "T" frame is open so once it is sitting horizontally on the bench, I could them lower the canopy frame into it and use the hydraulic cylinder to gradually change the bend profile of the front and rear hoops.

Hope this helps.

Help

I'm hoping to resurrect this one again. I'm still having trouble with this #!$*& slider. It's fitting better but I still have a host of problems. Anyone willing to spend 30 minutes on skype or Facetime so we can see if we can get this thing progressing again?

Happy to help but I don't Skype or Facetime. Maybe some photos and an old school phone call?

The two biggest problems I had with the canopy frame itself were matching the front and rear hoops to the roll bar and the aft deck skin profile. I assume you have mounted the roll bar and you are happy with the result. The roll bar too had to be bent to fit but that's not what you are asking.

The advice from Vans is to lean on the frame (or pull between tubes) to bend it to shape. Didn't work for me, I'm a lightweight and the 4130 tubing has a lot of springback.

After trying to bend the front and rear hoops using a ratchet strap between the square side tubes and the center round tube, I also gave this up. This would change the distance between the side and round tubes, but not the profile of the front and rear hoops.

What I finally did was trace the roll bar and aft deck skin profiles on a piece of cardboard, then transfer these profiles to my workbench. I bought a small hydraulic pump/hose/cylinder (portapower) and made a "T" frame from aluminum channel. The hydraulic cylinder was mounted to the down leg of the "T" and I made small wooden bending shoes for each end of the cross "T" as well as a wooden bending shoe for the cylinder. The "T" frame is open so once it is sitting horizontally on the bench, I could them lower the canopy frame into it and use the hydraulic cylinder to gradually change the bend profile of the front and rear hoops.

Hope this helps.

I think I kind of understand. I've been successful using a conduit bender to focus the bends in certain regions. Though yours sounds more high tech!

Thanks, Larry. I'm at the point of needing constant hand-holding on this phase and being able to video (until we are out of quarantine) is the only way I have any chance of making this work. I will bother you when I have more questions again though!

Help

Thanks, Larry. I'm at the point of needing constant hand-holding on this phase and being able to video (until we are out of quarantine) is the only way I have any chance of making this work. I will bother you when I have more questions again though!

Allen
If you don't get the help you need, I do have Skype on my phone (never used) and between us, I'm sure we can make it work. Happy to help if I can.

Following

I am following this thread with interest. I plan to start this part of build within a few weeks. Keep those ideas coming, I am soaking it all up!!! And thank you in advance.

Team Rocket got it right. You get all the bits without powder coat and you heat the hoops with a torch and bend to fit with wood blocks screwed to your workbench, then weld the frame while its jigged on the airplane.

Paint or powdercoat the result.

I sent you a PM with my number, I am happy to talk you through it as well. However, my plane is at the airport so I may not be able to show and tell as much as describe. That said, I have small children, so I am good at breaking things down into small steps.

just me

I sent you a PM with my number, I am happy to talk you through it as well. However, my plane is at the airport so I may not be able to show and tell as much as describe. That said, I have small children, so I am good at breaking things down into small steps.
My wife tells me I am a small child,, still.

You guys are funny. I want to throw a tantrum like a small child at the moment!
Colin, I PM'd you back. Thanks for the offer!

Back