What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Catto props

Lots of threads on VAF

Search for Catto and you will find lots of threads, I have a 3 blade on my 0-360 RV-7 and my buddy has one on his 180HP IO-340 RV-9A. Props work very well with good all around climb and cruise performance. Climb is very good compared to the Sensenich metal prop that I started with.

Titanium leading edge deals with the rain problem associated with composite props.

Biggest issue for most is the prop is very light (approx 14lbs) so you have to sort out the W&B in most cases by adding a saber crush plate. The light prop does wind down a bit quicker which helps slow down in the pattern.

If you are planning to build then you can use the 0-320 mount to move the engine forward a bit which helps the CG.
Overall I really like the prop and have never looked back.
Do not start a FP vs CS debate;)
My 2c
Figs

I have a two bladed Catto on the front of my O-360 powered RV-9 taildragger.

The W&B worked out perfect.

The Catto props are probably the best choice, if you are going with a fixed pitched prop.

Light, smooth, low maintenance; what more can you ask for?

FYI - apparently the harmonics from the IO-340 is pretty rough on props.

Check with Craig Catto. He had to design a prop specifically for the -340.

You say "Titanium leading edge deals with the rain problem associated with composite props."

My three blade Catto has Nickel leading edges. When did they move to Titanium?

Few clarifications (from Craig's mouth during one of my visits):
-The leading edge is made out of nickel.

-The reason for the cost increase was due to having to add another layer of carbon to the front and back of the blade. The harmonics between the blade and the nickel edge were not working out so they stiffened the blade and changed the adhesive on the nickel edge.

-The 340 vibrations are the worst environment they measured.

-The additional coned washers (don?t know how to spell the name) were added to their set up after completing torque testing on the prop bolts. 4 of those washers are recommended.

My 340 destroyed a spinner bulk head before I added the coned washers.

Coned washers ?

Is there any info on who needs coned washers ? I have an 0360 A1A 3 blade with nickle edges and have not received any bulletins from Catto.

Flown with the original aluminum sensenich, 2-blade Catto, and 3-blade Catto on my 9. I prefer the 3-blade. Not a huge difference in overall performance among the three. 3-blade gives slightly higher static RPM and perhaps a bit quicker on the takeoff roll. Top end was identical within measurement error for the Sensenich vs. 3-blade (I didn't really fly enough with the 2-blade to compare). Much better ground clearance with the 3-blade, and it runs smoother. But it also responds quicker to changes in engine input, so you notice slight changes in engine RPM more easily. I initially noticed some funny noises in cruise, probably due to slight variations in engine speed with up- and down-drafts and the like. After a few hours, I got used to those changes and they are not an issue - just something that you may notice if comparing.

Changing from 42 lbs of aluminum to 14 lbs of composite obviously changed my W&B, but I'm still within limits, just a bit heavier on the tail than before. I did move my battery from behind the baggage compartment back up to the engine compartment and that mitigated some of the W&B change.

Hope that helps.

Another happy 3 blade Catto w/ NLE + 20 lb Saber crush plate on my -7A. CG is such that I would have to really try to go aft of the rear CG limit. The 20 lb plate will also allow me to replace the PC680 with an EarthX battery on the firewall and regain ~12 lbs of useful load.

I also had to send mine back last year for the extra layer of carbon fiber and new NLE, which was covered under warranty. Just had to pay shipping. (O360-A4M)

-The additional coned washers (don?t know how to spell the name) were added to their set up after completing torque testing on the prop bolts. 4 of those washers are recommended.

My 340 destroyed a spinner bulk head before I added the coned washers.

I believe they are called Belleville Washers. Catto recommends them because if the hub "gives" a bit after torquing down the bolts the washers still retain nearly the same pressure against the hub, so it's less likely to develop any "wobble". I used them with my install, they seem to work fine. Biggest thing is, torque everything down and then go to lunch, check one more time before you safety wire. Should last for years.

Bellville washers

Are the bellville washers recommended for all Catto prop installs or just for the 340 installation? I just have the flat washers on my 0-360 and checked my torque values at the annual and they were fine.
And yes my bad they are nickel leading edges not titanium:eek:
Figs

Are the bellville washers recommended for all Catto prop installs or just for the 340 installation? I just have the flat washers on my 0-360
Figs

They are a better way of installing ?wooden? props. This is not specifc to an engine or a Catto prop.

To the original poster, If you search for my "forum name", Catto flight test", "Catto prop" or something similar you should be able to get a lot of info. At the end of the day, they can cut you whatever you need.

Found some pics that may help others with the set up.

Old spinner bulk head on my 340
PESm-oPZlhBMHPCXErT8QsDsLJk-jMlaqowtUS0RL7ZzvFremtRKY7xMHKcgY-wqlhKG0CtM3aXOEvzsHtQe91vjNXNzvb3tCamv9SjEiIgpmpUKfRZ3CeG-5pEkrgk6dpFBOcs5f9MgU410pYyCpJ9VWn72t7cXevkiBVPFQhrJJuzr_7QsPCJrj0wyuCC-52fC-bAH2iwDwHCrTGIek-mjbygmMg4p6JJvPRLU5hDyEvgGnJ0jE0CpawiBo1mjCw0z7gStJRbp8vccDc-WDLhKjmkjbF2sCHErnou-ELdp2usCvQRMw4QEhLiFehNsUY6pP-MBIFeKkvQ7Xg0_4hIOi_v6t3T2jdHo9EY8LNVjg-ovjR78iekxFtrc6d7AzTJaIyygnVMIue7NmNj2IN1JHP859_R9zIFHkLDOVYUOVOBWM4pIeiVaJLYakvl0q9PE5MieShKpd-CVNupfQgOiiKEoe9LdSpthO0EV3xZNEe6SVSJS6bUTtfUzvprDSfwMFwPEDGWpl9dep8zi-e9_YYj-VMnYnYOgJElDir90qNWAKOnRKicJlR9V0nM8Kja-BHmJbJsVhoFvZrJgiFqHLjZ7gKtegpS_dByDcsSazXJzzvOVLMjWoCgwTmMKL53RMmbS6sfWNdBa5S8DUjecGNcjjuYeKQDiTPcIef2KQzK76BFAKFPG8TeBWWL8ScDLZ3DKoKbH_1BXGNsqZJ_o=w711-h947-no

iNa1AU1eCdxkJkIHjvXmYOGl6PlWSaEBez4PhX27M8JbNAbTcqfvnEQ8ZFxNLEfqE8Hrue5uBwc_wRykYACKYen8fiMW10lGtsezKwKNA48ZDZLbIa_0G1Qmld7NBfOt712VTUqJuwxPKZ77MH6xv6nvXvx5Icw9kMIkndXs4g0XCVXTDFCFTq21SdA2g8g9T2coDxpJUH0sKux-7snR0DnNz8kzHvQvYKOs9LsldHnrNl3Vv0uppgKMRwaMDUUrOpAQLd9ygyQmmVTkdpfDvBgOAGTnwChpufnkJuMOV1sw4k7hxvcHssdnRss7OJIdOXJjqRwAOP5US_BMyVPNH4TMPdvctoZ3GImMSNyY0xj-gN0trNvPbRG8FR-d8lul0NvB3rrc9ETEKh8W-YA4tRijN5oqQqv9vgDYnGJZiCqq0L2LlwKrzXrbPNdfPQBI237U13D4eIbKWws3bro5iSakCnej5m1Zg0bWSs0B9Esm6ChoTWVZlzl4Yw2CHVTFV54HmG_ghS1Hgyxx1TENJpd24wkB7dyDS12aTqWJr1DZHP7wDwwErOwwDI6tzvzNsvMt4ibURQCkK3QwyROb8pOLnePzbXeDl_IzPglkxqZynPvfWhq1QZ3iski1hBRQBNsHxy0SaBd1_ABIysVGNC7yrpr1iguVBfvwz5yEp1xx4pDiucChil_j5x5Miem6noWdNPTOEEIy3E5t9s3Sob0_=w711-h947-no

PS2ZbAlsLEIAUsfNCq3mhwpl83ZAjUOKBYQaRq-v_FKio-xB-ZUxvfLZZbD-aif5fhUxBQ9xSuakZNOJ3dsj8fpwg35TE5f47LGmzAeozLMFsjgIgZ_wpCxb9JPiH0co7s94GBL17Y5E1L-hKzst0BV1_dJ7G6fHM3JjwiroCvmx_ZCaBkVhw7xrwyYFb5RQ2PBn6TclKZsjaoKHTlawtp5th0yydwOnPa4MURJAVmPEU-k-WZ2ODbjm87Ii7oAF-xRODpgiu1kns-DsFHkqi4rOA3nDMbHoH7oxDgkC9eTUB0LROdZEgt_tB4A1AJdVXG8w4QA5ISO9CvOWOqoaMJz6NP5TNsky4zhILn4BdNuR8FKFciegHXeAmAFajSZ1_p5-dig-nGla3pVwsDSxEdX_2lNFHpkMiGRUk9tWtmYjHQijJ3FxODjTQ2-N8GNooOpYmeHeGb-2I9VEN0jU2UglM38ogZmT5-hQ7OAphM4PTG7b712iIUP36T5fX8rfzfRHNG613FVOti0hqfVd_VO-E6HpGbnhM38akk0L7zZ_HuDVg_BMSKY_-pDk88wkRmgTivTRwP2zPrc902hkC8lNg0ZfLlnhRz9jcblMMtrtl7qyQfjwu3vRZi-oZZKHlCeEues49Z4HC0dbpnBmsdTkcuhwHPfwgsVpBBMYkewahWBXSphhvPdidJvJiACeR7hM_biePgGmNiCTlWhS1ADX=w711-h947-no

I removed the standar flat washer under the bellville washer later on.
AvzfKTRUSpTsO_BhFQHeSy04CesPTXvZ2qKsq5XG_8BwvuxiXjjez4HnCK7OX9R_Edy8ObQDHsODoBaa0u4SI2JMyKDL0_s0_LvWl_Puk0wrB98XbEMBotmJ1c5lAcI6i4tvI3xu8_4R7AmP3SkSmnDTnC3Ht5_RhltejQPQhNj47LEwJGTDf00fRh-zi4ND_sKOhaigetoMfKIQS9qvy0rHf9iifa0EgVJZrqe6KRUZ8SNvE3vpux35p3YPELgu112AdU1PmcETnVqh4bFKinVUI_IU9bbpPH37PlL5krJkmy0_VFM6UQizW39bsjKjTXrZi6KPnqNC6aA7d1Ezidpdurv47061b0uqhjdNiwdgDLQnn11JMFblMy3y52-D-p_FabAJOhryAVzROIxu2BWmycNu8Kz3WojcjBTqRnKzNrzkmkxN90lCV9ScQ90bJCbZAQXIaEldGn2lXnw70Agkw5AxBoissU4MQFEEbUoecCp2Edsa0WFPW84YtNrDVnL3WhRSmvRVRMuiEk6OYl2QXm8Y3WIvtsPbdqCW7355AtAs8QQtXM6VF8SFebb3RWst1whjvAZiNowgEIllRuJXaO1xJrxv0EZ96q9y_jHoJ-z6D4f-FwditWmFaNoG1F5ZPlQb6AXpLfnAz8STHC4J5ugdCvSGME8FxW-Q8MKWdSWrTu6osd7eA3ZWDxzOEqGLU3ShKN_W8JGCNP5MwKp5=w711-h947-no

Search for Catto and you will find lots of threads, I have a 3 blade on my 0-360 RV-7 and my buddy has one on his 180HP IO-340 RV-9A. Props work very well with good all around climb and cruise performance. Climb is very good compared to the Sensenich metal prop that I started with.

Titanium leading edge deals with the rain problem associated with composite props.

Biggest issue for most is the prop is very light (approx 14lbs) so you have to sort out the W&B in most cases by adding a saber crush plate. The light prop does wind down a bit quicker which helps slow down in the pattern.

If you are planning to build then you can use the 0-320 mount to move the engine forward a bit which helps the CG.
Overall I really like the prop and have never looked back.
Do not start a FP vs CS debate;)
My 2c
Figs
Hi Dave, do you get the advertised cruise speed with your 3 blade Catto?

I wouldn?t use Belleville washers unless specified by the prop designer for your specific prop and engine. Bolt torque is voodoo magic...

Cruise speed

I normally cruise at about 165 mph turning around 2350 rpm, at WOT the Catto will turn 2750 which is about 200 mph. From memory I think the prop is pitched at 76 inches.

Based at Riverside Tulsa at 640 msl I get about 2250 rpm at take-off and can climb at about 1800 fpm. These numbers are of the top of my head but are in the ball park.

Steve Ingraham has the same prop on his I/O-340 in a 9A and gets similar numbers but climbs like a banshee:D
Figs

Back