What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Installing a Garmin G5 to replace GI106

jeffsvan

Well Known Member
Team,

I hope I am not repeating a thread, I did a search and could not find.

I am thinking of replacing one of my GI-106 CDI units with a Garmin G5.
The source for this instrument is my GTN650.

Good/bad idea?
How hard will the rewire be?
Should I order the harness Garmin sells with the unit?

comments/ schematics/ info is appreciated.

PS Just paid my yearly $25 donation to VAF. I hope others help to keep this resource as well.

If you?re just doing one G5, and don?t care about magnetic heading for the G5, it?s an easy wire. 7 wires from the GTN650. 4 arinc wires from the gps connector and 2 arinc wires from the Nav connector. These 6 to the GAD29. 1 serial wire from the gos connector to the G5 directly. A shielded twisted pair from the G5 to the GAD29 for CAN bus. Power & ground to G5 & GAD29. One jumper for CAN termination on the GAD29. You?re done.

Thank you for your help.

While reading the G5 manual I see it has an internal GPS antenna, but can also accommodate an external antenna.

Will I need to plan for an external antenna install? i.e. is the internal antenna good enough?

Considering this is the ?oh crap? backup, is it worth saving $50 and a couple of hours of install on the antenna? :)

Thank you for your help.

While reading the G5 manual I see it has an internal GPS antenna, but can also accommodate an external antenna.

Will I need to plan for an external antenna install? i.e. is the internal antenna good enough?

Use the external. In my 9A the G5 will take 15 minutes or so to grab the GPS lock from just the internal antenna, and will lose it with significant maneuvering. I have purchased an external antenna and will install it during my annual in February.

GPS Antenna

Just wondering. If the GTN650 is connected to the G5, won't it get gps info from the 650? so not needing it's own external antenna?

Just wondering. If the GTN650 is connected to the G5, won't it get gps info from the 650? so not needing it's own external antenna?

If it's connected to a WAAS GPS, it does not need its own antenna.

Hello Tooch,

Yes, that is correct that if a GTN/GNS is providing MapMX to the RS-232 port on the G5, it does not specifically require a separate external antenna. You would want to disable the G5 internal GPS in this case.

An Aera 660 has a WAAS GPS, but having this connected to the G5 does not provide sufficient data for attitude sensor aiding.

Thanks,
Steve

Garmin G5

Steve,

Taking it one step further, can a GTN 650 or an SL-30 provide any approach data to the G5 as a backup? I have a GTN 650, and SL-30 and an AFS 5500 touchscreen with the Skyview network and Dynon autopilot servos. The autopilot is controlled from within the AFS EFIS. Since I don't have the Garmin autopilot controller or the Garmin servos I know there won't be any flight director type guidance.

The GTN 650 feeds my AFS screen for Nav, ILS/VOR and RNAV approaches but I would like to get rid of the round dial A/S, Gemini PFD and the Altimeter to install a Garmin G5. I understand that the Dynon D-10A can act like a GI-106 Indicator but wasn't sure the G5 could.

Steve,

Taking it one step further, can a GTN 650 or an SL-30 provide any approach data to the G5 as a backup? I have a GTN 650, and SL-30 and an AFS 5500 touchscreen with the Skyview network and Dynon autopilot servos. The autopilot is controlled from within the AFS EFIS. Since I don't have the Garmin autopilot controller or the Garmin servos I know there won't be any flight director type guidance.

The GTN 650 feeds my AFS screen for Nav, ILS/VOR and RNAV approaches but I would like to get rid of the round dial A/S, Gemini PFD and the Altimeter to install a Garmin G5. I understand that the Dynon D-10A can act like a GI-106 Indicator but wasn't sure the G5 could.

Hello Oly,

A G5 can certainly interface to either an SL 30 or a GTN 650 and provide full approach guidance, but it wouldn't be able to share these devices with the AFS system like it does a G3X Touch system.

If you wanted to do something like dedicate the SL 30 to the G5, that would be very doable.

If you would like to contact us directly we can discuss these options further.

Thanks,
Steve

I have the GI106a problem. I think to replace by an Aspen 100oPro. What instead of paying 3000$ for a new one.
I have alreaduy an Aspen 100o pro. In the same time it will be a back up and I can have a moving map on the second one.
The other option is to buy a G5 as above. Any other idea.

Back