What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Electrical diagram software?

KatieB

Well Known Member
Hey you guys. What programs do you like to use to create electrical diagrams?

I'm looking for something easily obtainable--free or cheap--that doesn't require an engineering degree to use. I could piece together something in Excel, but I'm looking for something more elegant... maybe even with some little electrical symbols. I was hoping the EAA SolidWorks package would be able to pull this off, but that is really geared toward 3D modeling.

I use and actual schematic capture program since I have it, but you could use Visio. It has electrical symbols if you get that library template.

I find most of these schematics can be done with just using blocks for each of your items. Visio would work fine for that. I use it for block diagrams a lot and it is pretty flexible.

I tried to find that EAA Solidworks version but I wasn't able to. Do you have a good link?

It took me a long time to download EAA's SolidWorks package last night, but it went OK. There is a section of the EAA forums devoted to it. Right now most of the forum content surrounds the download process.

http://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/eaa-membership/eaa-member-benefits/solidworks-resource-center

It looks like it would be a really nice tool if you like to do 3D modeling. I would love to get into that, but I have enough projects to deal with right now! :rolleyes:

I'll check out these other programs... thank you!

Visio or PowerPoint

+1 for MS Visio and I've also used MS PowerPoint to do electrical diagrams on builds. Easy to draw out components, symbols, connectors, labels, use colors to match wire colors, etc. Using PowerPoint on my -8 electrical diagrams now.

Good luck!

Chris

ExpressPCB

Took a while to get the hang of it but it worked for me, if I recall someone posted a bunch of the library components that replicate the multi pole switches that are in the aeroelectric design manual.
I can send schematics if that would help but they are from the 2007 era rather than today's fully integrated glass systems.
Figs

I used Express SCH for my on-going build.

Free on-line

E
As did I. It worked out well and I printed the pages to PDF and carry them on my IPad through Dropbox.

Saved my bacon when I had an "away" incident with wiring.

Don

Diptrace

Take a look at Diptrace:

http://diptrace.com/download-diptrace/#DownloadForm/1/

It is a full schematics capture and PCB layout suite with a very large built-in library of symbols. They have a free version limited to 300 pins (I don't know if this applies to the schematic capture too or just the layout side of the tool...give it a try!).

They have a PDF tutorial that you can read in a couple of hours. I have used ExpressSCH before, and it feels like using MS Paint compared to this little tool :)

Good Luck!

+1 for Visio (or similar generic drawing program) for the wiring diagram.

I'm an electrical engineer and do a lot of circuit design with commercial-grade software. These are generally designed to target making a circuit board (component geometries, connection nets, circuit board traces, etc) and have lots of features you won't use for a wiring diagram. There is very little value added by these tools. If you were building a circuit board, that would be different.

I'm using Visio myself to do my wiring diagram. It's fast, easy, and expressive.

I just happen to be doing mine right now, so I feel your frustration picking the right system to develop the drawing in. I've tried a variety of options, however, including viso type clones that keep the connection in place with "glue" points, however I have found that out of everything, the best choice is downloading Bob Nuckolls diagram that most closely matches your intended configuration, downloading the FREE version of Dassault DraftSight, then modifying it accordingly. Dead easy. You don't have to make any of your symbols, you just use the work Bob has already made. I found the best approach is pencil and paper whilst you sketch out what you want (my configuration changed multiple times) then once you are happy with all the components you have selected, CAD it up. This draftsight software has been used by a number of other builders on the forum with success (a couple of other threads address this). It prints out easily on paper and also to PDF and can be saved as DWG so that you can open the CAD file in any other software in the future.
I hope this helps. If I get around to it, I may even write a brief guide to the process before I get done. PM me if you are interested in it and I may even push it up my priority list.
http://www.aeroelectric.com/Downloads.html
http://www.3ds.com/products-services/draftsight-cad-software/free-download/

Tom.

They have a free version limited to 300 pins (I don't know if this applies to the schematic capture too or just the layout side of the tool...give it a try!).

Good Luck!

I can just imagine getting to Pin 301... D'OH!! :eek:

Thanks for all the great suggestions... I have lots of homework now!

I have used ExpressSCH before, and it feels like using MS Paint compared to this little tool :)

Good Luck!

I gave it a try over the last couple hours. Power Point is better, IMO. Back to Visio, for me - after I reinstall it on my new laptop.

I think almost any drawing program can do this. I use one that I have on my Mac. When I draw up a symbol, I copy it to another file and then it's handy to paste into whatever schematic I'm working on now.

The program I'm using is "Graphic." It's by the Autocad family. It's decent enough except that it lacks good curve-drawing tools. It's not a free program.

Dave

One of the secrets for neatness and creation speed is to have a schematic standard grid that interconnect lines snap to.

Then you just have to ensure that all of the symbols you make for your library have the same grid...:)

If anyone is using TurboCAD I have a set of library symbols available.

The other helpful thing is to avoid a "four way" connection. Don't rely on "dots".

crossovers.jpg

Expresspcb Files

Does anyone have any schematic files that I can use for ExpressSCH? Components and such that I can piecemeal my wiring diagram with. I have the program but not able to "find" any components that resemble much aviation. Any help?

Draw IO

I've been using Draw IO, it's free browser based drawing tool that can save content into google docs as well as others like drop box. It's handy for me as I keep all my docs in google drive, and sharing with others is easy since they don't need any software installed.

The downside is that it wasn't made for this purpose, I've put a fair amount of time into creating the pinouts for the garmin equipment I'm using. If anyone wants the symbols or more info let me know.

Thanks Joe & Vern. ExpressSCH seems to fit the bill for my wiring project. It is one of the easier programs to use after a few hours of trial and error. I would like to see an erase feature to "modify" some components to better fit my build. My crude pencil drawings have turned into something to be proud of!

ExpressSCH has an erase feature.
Select the component that you want to modify.
Click the "COMPONENT" tab.
From the drop down menu, click "UNGROUP COMPONENT".
Un-Select the component.
Now you can modify the component, then "Group to Make Component" and save with a new name.

As did I. It worked out well and I printed the pages to PDF and carry them on my IPad through Dropbox.

Saved my bacon when I had an "away" incident with wiring.

Don

Also used ExpressSCH, and keep a copy of the PDF files on my iPhone (and on a DVD tucked away in the plane). I only found it a bit fiddly to get lines perfectly straight and evenly spaced (you have to zoom in quite a bit sometimes), but that's just the OCD aerospace engineer in me... :)

1 page per system, plus some for networks, etc. I can send you the files if you want someplace to start...

Hi Russ, I just started using it myself, and have not created anything special. I'm moving off of visio due to having misplaced my license, and don't want to cough up another $300 for a new one. Please let me know if you do create or find some parts. I'll need to do a refresh on my wiring diagrams in the coming months.

One of the secrets for neatness and creation speed is to have a schematic standard grid that interconnect lines snap to.

Then you just have to ensure that all of the symbols you make for your library have the same grid...:)

If anyone is using TurboCAD I have a set of library symbols available.

The other helpful thing is to avoid a "four way" connection. Don't rely on "dots".

crossovers.jpg

How do I import the symbols into Turbo Cad. Working on Turbo CAD 19 tutorial now.

Thanks

Components Library

Has anyone gone to the trouble to create components for the library to include things like.

• TWC Backup Battery system
  • Garmin GPU 465
  • AHARS GSU 25
  • ARINC GAD 29
  • Engine Module GEA 24
  • GTN 650 GPS NAV COMM
  • GDL 39
  • Auto Pilot GMC 305
  • NAV COMM GNC 255A
  • Transponder GTX 23EX
  • VPX-PRO
  • MORE.....

If someone had created those types of items for one of the schematic tools, that would definitely sway me in the direction of that tool.

Fritzing looks great! Do you have some parts you've created you could share? IE, dimmer circuits, Avionics, Trim Servos, Autopilot Servos, Stick Grips, etc.

Thanks!
Russ

I downloaded this and tried it out. I like using it, but according to the documentation you can't create new items. All you can do is modify existing ones. And that process didn't seam to easy.

It's easy!

With ExpressSCH you can custom make your components. Save them in your custom file and use away! Great Program for me! I have made several components that I used in my schematics.

Back