What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Clip on non polarized sun glasses anyone?

riobison

Well Known Member
I finally have a pair of bi-focal prescription glasses inset into an old Ray Ban Aviation frame that I'm happy with.

Now what I'm looking for is a flip up non polarized sun glasses that I can put on and use. At the moment I have clip on's and they are a pain to put on and take off when in and out of changing light.

Would anyone have any suggestions on where to buy some decent clip on's?

Thanks

Tim

Shoot, if I'm properly understanding what you want, I've got like 4 pair in my desk here next to my computer. One is "full size", the other 3 are for the "half" glasses size----like reading glasses. You can have all of them for nada if you want.

( I finally just went and had a custom pair made for me at Walmart---I think it was $98)

But they're available everywhere---at least in the states. Walmart and the like. Walmart up in Alberta? If you want a picture, I'll email you if you like.

Not cheap but...

These are my go to glasses. http://scheyden.com/product.php?id=36

The Scheyden Dual Rx Flip ups make me a cool geek.

I had lighter sunglasses lenses made , almost clear at the bottom for better EFIS readability.

They are a bit pricey though after having prescription lenses made. Excellent customer service through Scheyden.

Don

ouch, $449 or $560 Canadian Pesos for non prescription? I guess Super Dave needs to keep flying but that will put me out of flying.

I use a cheapo sunglass that has a 1.5 reader in clear as a bifocal. US sourced, makes me look like a geek but I don't care, they are fab. I can see the instruments un dimmed and the rest of the world is tinted.

Cost about $15

Rayban bifocals

Just put sun glasses with bifocal in your raybans, I did it and loved them. You just have to carry 2 pair of glasses for when you go inside or fly in darker conditions. Mine were not very dark so they worked well unless I was flying very late in the day.

Al

I use a cheapo sunglass that has a 1.5 reader in clear as a bifocal. US sourced, makes me look like a geek but I don't care, they are fab. I can see the instruments un dimmed and the rest of the world is tinted.

Cost about $15

Mike, you had me at "cheapo". Any details as to where purchased?

Thx,

I agree, the Scheydens are pricey, but they are great and the customer service is tops. I have a pair that I have used almost exclusively for flying for the past 10 or more years. A couple of years ago, I dropped them and the frame broke at one of the corners. I sent them back to Scheyden to get them fixed and they overhauled them and sent them back to me at no charge! Mine are progressive bi-focal, so that runs the price up a bit more. However, they have been worth the money to me. Letting down through an undercast where it is bright sunshine on top, and gray and gloomy below is where I really appreciate them. Also, if I need to look at an iPad or something on my panel where the shades are just a bit too dark, just flip 'em up and flip 'em back down when you are done. I love my Scheydens!

I've been buying clip on, flip up polarized sunglasses for decades now. I keep a pair in every car and one in the plane. In the states one can buy these at most drug stores, like CVS, Walgreens, WalMart etc.. Polarized is really nice when reflections are flying around. Typical cost is about 10 bucks.

I've been buying clip on, flip up polarized sunglasses for decades now. I keep a pair in every car and one in the plane. In the states one can buy these at most drug stores, like CVS, Walgreens, WalMart etc.. Polarized is really nice when reflections are flying around. Typical cost is about 10 bucks.

Problem with polarized glasses is some flat screen displays go black when seen (or rather, not seen) thru them.

Problem with polarized glasses is some flat screen displays go black when seen (or rather, not seen) thru them.

True - but most seem to design the polarization correctly to account for polarized glasses. Tablets are a problem, since they are designed to work in either orientation. My Samsung works in the portrait mode.

Back