What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First flight!!

kbalch

Well Known Member
My RV-14A project, having received its airworthiness certificate from Vic last Saturday, became an airplane yesterday.

The first flight went very well. The plane handled as expected: it was nimble, agile, and well-controlled. All temps and pressures remained in the green.

It was a typical busy day at KISM, with lots of training and warbird activity taking place during my flight. The tower controllers were great - kidding me on the frequency about having done something right since it flew (this, about 300 feet up on climbout), checking on my progress as I circled the field about 400 feet above pattern altitude (below the overlying Class B shelf), and congratulating me on rollout after landing. Well-done, guys, and much appreciated!

Despite it being quite a bumpy day, the -14A was relatively stable. Much more so than my -8 would have been. Not sure if that's down to the different wing, but it was a noticeable (and positive!) difference. I even managed a good landing, so that was a nice bonus. :)

Thanks to my wife, Jean, and my group of -14(A) friends and fellow builders: Alex, Mark, Shane, Dan, and Glenn. You guys have all been fantastic throughout the process and I appreciate your being here for me on multiple occasions. I'm looking forward to reciprocating - in the RV!!

IMG_1226-e1582996854236.jpg

IMG_1240-e1582996866606.jpg

IMG_1247-e1582996879104.jpg

Congratulations Ken!!!!

Outstanding news sir!
Wishing you a smooth phase 1.
All the best,
Doug

Congratulations! Btw, Love your builders blog, refer to it often. Hope to join you later this summer.

Jim

First flight

Great news. Tried for my first flight on Saturday but instrumentation problem cropped up so scrubbed. So got to fix a couple of small glitches and try again.

Congratulations Ken! That?s awesome. I?m looking forward to seeing what your paint job will look like. Your 8 partly inspired my paint scheme. Glad to hear your back in the air.

Congratulations Ken! That?s awesome. I?m looking forward to seeing what your paint job will look like. Your 8 partly inspired my paint scheme. Glad to hear your back in the air.

Hey Jerry,

Thanks! I've always thought that your -8 was one of the better-looking examples; now I know why! :D

My -14A's paint job won't be nearly as eye-catching as my old -8's, but it will be mostly red. That's all I'm saying for now...

I'm planning to take it to the paint shop (Evoke) after SnF. I've just gotta get the time flown off...

Back