What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Val 760 TSO Receive problem

Jkearns

I'm New Here
I installed my 760 Val in my RV6 and could not get any reception. The FBO said he could hear the transmission clearly. I can hear the squelch when I check it so I reasoned it was not a headset or wiring issue. Sent the radio to Val to get checked out, they said there was nothing wrong with it and sent it back. I wanted to make sure it was not an intercom issue so I wired the jacks directly to the comm bypassing the intercom. Made sure jacks were isolated from the panel and all wires were correct. Tuned in the local AWOS and could not hear anything unless the squelch knob as pulled out. I am ready to test fly my RV6 after a major rebuild, but not without communications. Any suggestions on what to try next?

JKearns
Kearns Metal Works
N35K

Check the coax to make sure it is not grounded out. Disconnect both ends and use a ohm meter to make sure that the outside is not connected to the inside. Some times one of the outer shielding wires gets poked into the center wire when the ends are put on. Also make sure the antenna base is grounded using the ohms meter.
Change the antenna to verify it is not a bad antenna, sometimes the inside wire can break from movement from the wind always shaking them.
Next go to the radio shop because I'm out of Ideas...
I hope you find your problem on your own, it is much cheaper...

Robin,

Thanks for the tip. I will check it out and see if this helps.

Jeff Kearns
Kearns Metal Works
N35K

Back