What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV7 Elevator Pushrod

flymo

Friend
While doing some maintenance today, I heard a faint noise upon moving the stick forward / back. Turns out my RV7 forward elevator pushrod is lightly touching something as the pushrod passes it's "Low Point" of travel. I removed the center cover panel in the baggage compartment, but the contact is forward, beneath the seats / floor panels. Anyone seen this before, any fixes before I tear more into it? Thanks

While doing some maintenance today, I heard a faint noise upon moving the stick forward / back. Turns out my RV7 forward elevator pushrod is lightly touching something as the pushrod passes it's "Low Point" of travel. I removed the center cover panel in the baggage compartment, but the contact is forward, beneath the seats / floor panels. Anyone seen this before, any fixes before I tear more into it? Thanks

Yes.... Continue to investigate.
My friend's RV-6 had a slight scraping noise between the seats when moving the stick fore and aft. After opening up the tunnel cover, flap housing and both floorboards I discovered a nutplate screw that had worn a slot in the elevator pushrod.

If something doesn't look or sound normal...investigate...

If I remember right, I had to open up one of the holes where the forward elevator pushrod went through a bulkhead, under the baggage area. Did it before first flight. Rubbing issues don’t fix themselves.

I'm not a builder (yet) so I was scratching my head about how close the design has the fwd pushrod to another structure. Looks like F-705 could be the issue, floor panels coming out. Thanks

Check the bulkhead at the station of the rear spar. There most builders must reduce the height of the spar carry thru a bit in height. make a shallow, big radius. This was discussed here also and VANS support told to do so also.

Pushrod rubbing

Here's a thread on VAF that might help you locate the issue. Easy fix.

https://vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=54390
100_7498%20(Small).JPG

Finally got the forward elevator pushrod out, it has been touching the rear spar bulkhead. I relieved some material as discussed in other threads, but am wondering if I should build a new pushrod. The rub area is a little over an inch long, and you can feel a slight flat spot. My crude calipers show about 3-4 thousandths worn away. I'll probably ask Van's as well. Thanks for the help.
(image attachment attempted)

Attachments

• IMG_0486.jpg
    IMG_0486.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 106
Back