What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Are Your Nuts Tight?--New Book announcement

vic syracuse

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Mentor
We've been listening to you regarding the need for an e-book. We had been working on it and didn't want to commit to a date, as it has been rather difficult. We've also been looking for a way to lower the costs (even though I think this will be one of the most valuable books you can have for taking care of your RV). We've titled it "Are Your Nuts Tight Guide for Identifying Problems on your amateur-built aircraft"

We've also been disappointed in how long LuLU is taking to deliver the printed books. I guess COVID is affecting places we don't even think about. However, if you ordered the prebuy book, you won't need this book. Just contact me and I will send you the chapter on jamnuts.

So, for the last couple of weeks, Carol and I have revamped the book into aPDF that is now released on eJunkie. All of the prebuy stuff is removed, with a new chapter on jam nuts (no surprise there, huh?!!). And of course, we've entitled it "Are your Nuts Tight". All of the pictures and inspection procedures are in it, just not the hints for sellers/buyers, etc. Basically, it is supposed to be an inspection handbook for every owner out there. Non-builder owners can give it to their mechanic at inspection time. The rest of you should use it every time you have the cowling off or the airplane opened up.

EVERY airplane we inspect, whether for a prebuy or a CI, normally has at least 3 or more of the findings in the book, so I'm pretty confident if you don't find something on your airplane you aren't looking hard enough.:)

Selling the PDF will keep the costs down and solve the ebook issue. I'm trusting the community won't plagiarize it and lose my life's work. For the intro price of $59.95 it should be cheap enough that it is a no-brainer for everyone to have their own copy. Ejunkie does send the PDF with a password and the pages are marked with the buyer's name. We are trusting this community to not copy and share the pdf.

We are announcing it here on VAF first, at an introductory price of $59.95. So no complaints about the price. :) For the next 30 days, $5 for every book sold will go to VAF. We all want this site to continue to be successful.

Here's the link: https://www.fatfreecartpro.com/i/zwos?card

I hope all of you who purchase it really put it to good use for as long as you own your airplane.

Vic & Carol

Last edited:
Hello Vic...just a query will the pages be printable?

That's hilarious. We publish a printed book and everyone wants an e-pub. So we publish an e-pub and the first question is if it can be printed. :)

I'm beginning to feel like Curly of the three stooges. :)

No, we didn't make it printable this time through the e-pub. We are going to release it on LuLu for print.

Thanks for asking. I should have made that clearer in the original post.

Vic

Yes, can see your point Vic, having a chuckle myself. Perhaps my query should have been “ is it coming out in print?”. Guess that would have got similar response. I have purchased your first book and will wait for the printed version of Tightening yer nut. Thanks😎

Send me your email. For anyone who bought the first book, contact me and I will send you the new chapter.

Vic

So, for my part I've read through Vic's new ebook this evening. It contains a great set of photos and descriptions of common issues and things to pay close attention to, a great reference for anyone really. It's more than 80 pages and I know I will use it personally!

What he covers in the book is real-world-based, and I believe every owner, mechanic, and shop that inspects RVs would do well to have this reference on hand. Vic sees a lot of RVs in his work, but there are many more that he never sees, and so this tool can help others do a better, more solid inspection of airplanes they're asked to look at. Recommended.

Thanks for doing this, Vic!

If I buy this under the LLC that owns my airplane, do you have any issue with it being sold with the airplane? Selling my RV9A but would like this book.

Is there a discount code available for Vans Air Force? $59 feels steep for an electronic book.

Thanks

Thanks Vic! Just got my copy and I'm challenging myself to find my 3 loose nuts today. :D

We've also been disappointed in how long LuLU is taking to deliver the printed books. I guess COVID is affecting places we don't even think about. However, if you ordered the prebuy book, you won't need this book. Just contact me and I will send you the chapter on jamnuts.

Vic,

I ordered your prebuy book and was expecting it to be delivered to me downunder, from the US. I was pleasantly surprised when it turned up in less than a week. It was shipped to New South Wales with a South Australian postmark.

So for me at least I’m not the slightest bit disappointed with delivery time and the content is, in my opinion invaluable, not only for a prebuy, but also for annual or conditional inspections. If it saves me from buying a lemon, the book will be very cheap indeed.

I started compiling a checklist of things to look for in buying an RV from your EAA webinars, and then promptly lost the notebook it was in. Having your book replaces that and will now be part of my toolkit. A friend commented that a lot of the content is equally applicable to type certified and vintage aircraft too. So a huge THANK YOU to you and especially Carol for all your hard work and sharing your extensive and hard won knowledge.

Don H

Last edited:
Great read -money well spent!

Hi Vic,

I purchased your ebook last night and spent a couple of hours reading through it. I’m several weeks away from “first flight” of my RV-14A and your book was a great review of things to watch for. The photos and explanations were excellent!

Thanks Jim

If I buy this under the LLC that owns my airplane, do you have any issue with it being sold with the airplane? Selling my RV9A but would like this book.

Is there a discount code available for Vans Air Force? $59 feels steep for an electronic book.[/QUOTE

No problem with it going with the airplane.

Hello Vic,

I tried to buy the PDF version and it only seems to allow Paypal.

Is that the only way to pay for it?

Unfortunately yeah - didn't work. Always takes me to Paypal no matter where in the box I click.

Maybe Vic is saying he setup to allow paypal to do credit card processing. Note, paypal is also a normal credit card processor (without having a paypal account).

Thanks for doing the ebook option, as one of the first to ask.

Easy buying process- I did the credit card version- click on the "BUY NOW" button BUT on the 3rd screen, below Paypal, look for pay via credit card- don't enter email or phone on the Paypal login unless you want to Login.

This way gives you a Paypal GUEST credit card checkout. 1, 2, 3.

20200822-092632.jpg

20200822-092656.jpg

20200822-092929.jpg

Last edited:
That's hilarious. We publish a printed book and everyone wants an e-pub. So we publish an e-pub and the first question is if it can be printed. :)

It's the title, we all want a book that says "Are Your Nuts Tight?" on the cover so it can be prominently displayed either a) on the coffee table or b) on the back of the toilet :D

Why was the pre-buy chapter removed?

Two different books. One for prebuys and one for inspections. Prebuy book had a few more chapters, checklists, hints for buyers and sellers, etc.
We are going to add the Jamn nuts Chapter to the prebuy book. Takes time to make these changes.

Vic

Last edited:
Vic

I ordered your print book on the 18th, after an August 10th introduction. Now I find out, on this thread, that there is an addition chapter on "jamb nuts" that needs to be requested by print buyers.

Why is there no mention of this in the original thread? Will it be in the hardcopy books?

Whats up? Info please.

George

George, we tried to lower the costs for everyone and make a book just focused on identifying problems on your amateur built aircraft. We removed and changed some things and added a new chapter on jamnuts. I think I’m being kind and giving the new chapter to everyone who purchased the hardcover book on prebuys, and soon we will just add that chapter to the book. We also tried to address the request by some for an ebook.

Vic

Vic,

Thanks for your kindness in offering the additional "chapter on jamb nuts" information to a $126.58 book, up for sale less than two weeks.

Please send the additional information, I'll private message the contact info.

George

Don’t think mines shipped yet

I ordered from lulu on 11aug, no tracking info yet. Hope it ships soon, I’m jealous! I’ll PM you my email Vic for the bonus chapter!

Thanks!

I'm beginning to feel like Curly of the three stooges. :)

No, we didn't make it printable this time through the e-pub. We are going to release it on LuLu for print.

Thanks for asking. I should have made that clearer in the original post.

Vic

Maybe I didn't understand the original question, but it is printable on my system. Would be a bit expensive in ink, though. Someone on Facebook complained that a PDF could not be annotated or bookmarked, but both are possible using Adobe Acrobat Reader DC. Bookmarking takes a Javascript Hack, which is perfectly safe and legit; the book describing it is sold on Amazon and the downloadable file is at the book's website. Personally, I think the book will be most useful in PDF form. And the price is good compared to similar offerings in a relatively small market.

Vic, great book, and some really eye-opening photos.:eek:

Last edited:
Found one!

Removed the cowl again to change the oil - and I found a loose nut! I knew there would be at least one under there. BTW, it was the nut holding the fat wire on the starter. Not quite "finger tight" loose, but still, I could move it by tugging on the fat wire. Thanks again Vic for the challenge!

BTW, does anyone know if there are coarse pitch lock nuts, like you would use on the starter wire stud or a lot of the other engine bolts? I know I can use star washers, but would like to know if a lock nut is available, preferably all metal.

Removed the cowl again to change the oil - and I found a loose nut! I knew there would be at least one under there. BTW, it was the nut holding the fat wire on the starter. Not quite "finger tight" loose, but still, I could move it by tugging on the fat wire. Thanks again Vic for the challenge!

BTW, does anyone know if there are coarse pitch lock nuts, like you would use on the starter wire stud or a lot of the other engine bolts? I know I can use star washers, but would like to know if a lock nut is available, preferably all metal.

Good for you!!!

BTW, even Lowes/Home Depot/hardware stores, have the coarse pitch lockwashers that can be used.

Vic

Thanks for doing the ebook option, as one of the first to ask.

Easy buying process- I did the credit card version- click on the "BUY NOW" button BUT on the 3rd screen, below Paypal, look for pay via credit card- don't enter email or phone on the Paypal login unless you want to Login.

This way gives you a Paypal GUEST credit card checkout. 1, 2, 3.

20200822-092632.jpg

20200822-092656.jpg

20200822-092929.jpg

By shutting off "one Touch" auto login, I got to the screens that allowed purchase by credit card.

Lulu discount code for printed book

As a reminder, here is the link for the PRINTED book. Lulu has a discount code through the 28th. It is SELFPUBLISH15

https://www.lulu.com/en/en/shop/vic...-built-aircraft/paperback/product-5j8w45.html

Be aware that shipping from Lulu is taking quite a while. I ordered one copy with expedited shipping of the prebuy book on Aug 10 and it is to be delivered today Aug 24. We ordered 10 copies with book rate shipping and those still show in production.

Vic - great book. I love all the pictures and insights. Why didn't you publish this 15 years ago when I built my RV??? ;) :D

Definitely worth the price!

Last edited:
this pdf is not printable

I want to remind everyone considering a purchase if you need a printed copy go to LULU. The pdf's from ejunkie are not printable. I know someone mentioned Adobe DC PRO, but I have adobe DC Pro (which is a paid subscription) and editing and printing are locked down on this file. It is to prevent theft.

I just had a customer purchase from ejunkie with the intention of printing it out.
It did not work.

Two different books. One for prebuys and one for inspections. Prebuy book had a few more chapters, checklists, hints for buyers and sellers, etc. Vic

Guess I am still a little confused. Does the more expensive book "Prebuy" include the book for "inspections?" At the time of placing my order (Aug 14th) I thought the "Prebuy" book was the only one available.

If not, is the "inspections" the better of the two for those that have a flying RV?

Thanks

I want to remind everyone considering a purchase if you need a printed copy go to LULU. The pdf's from ejunkie are not printable. I know someone mentioned Adobe DC PRO, but I have adobe DC Pro (which is a paid subscription) and editing and printing are locked down on this file. It is to prevent theft.

I just had a customer purchase from ejunkie with the intention of printing it out.
It did not work.

Sorry to prove you wrong, but I'm attaching a clip of Adobe Reader DC (not Pro) showing the print dialog not disabled. Also a photo of the browser plug-in printing the first three pages, with the pages laid out on the keyboard after printing. I did nothing special to enable printing. I simply downloaded the PDF and, when someone asked about annotations and bookmarks, I checked to be sure they still worked and noticed that printing was enabled in passing. If your publisher has promised you that the files are locked, then something is not working. In my case, I have no need for a printed copy (I only printed the three pages as proof of my findings) and I won't supply a printed copy to anyone else - laser printer ink and shipping are too expensive and besides, I believe Vic deserves his royalties.

Attachments

• NutsTight.JPG
    NutsTight.JPG
    117.2 KB · Views: 145
  • NutsTight2.jpg
    NutsTight2.jpg
    656 KB · Views: 144
Interesting... printing is locked out for me in Acrobat Reader DC and in Microsoft Edge, but not in Firefox. Just printed the first page to test. Not that I'd ever need to print either, but was a fun experiment.

Guess I am still a little confused. Does the more expensive book "Prebuy" include the book for "inspections?" At the time of placing my order (Aug 14th) I thought the "Prebuy" book was the only one available.

If not, is the "inspections" the better of the two for those that have a flying RV?

Thanks

Either book will work for you.

Vic

Hey Vic, I finished reading your book! Great job! Of course, now I'm a little itchy to go re-inspect my planes. ;) I've seen some things wear that I didn't expect to, over the years, and even found a jam nut loose before, so I know I'm not immune, and seeing your pics of things you found really drove that home for me.

I did a quick book write-up too! Thanks again!

Book Write up Link: https://www.myrv10.com/tips/maintenance/Nuts_Tight/index.html

Last edited:
Back