What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anybody tried one of these?

Ffrankos

I am in a hanger that is unheated and am thinking of buying this. My thought is that I can use my cell phone to turn on my engine pre-heater. For those who have one of these, do I just need to get a SIM card, and plug it in?

thanks!!

https://www.tomtop.com/p-c2036uk.html?currency=USD&Warehouse=CN&%7Bifdbm:aid=dc2dynamic&mid=10000008003&utm_source=SEM&utm_medium=DoubleClick&utm_campaign=$%7BINSERTION_ORDER_ID%7D&utm_adgroup=$%7BCAMPAIGN_ID%7D%7D&aid=gplausyly&gclid=CjwKCAjwmefOBRBJEiwAf7DstIJP9qimy5_6ZP5vwrVcKtZrjbUw2MYo71cpjUmzKQC5qLRI7pLrkRoCRJEQAvD_BwE

Use the search function to find a switch that you're sure will. I don't know anything about the one that you linked, but I have two Chinese cheapies on my shelf (from different manufacturers) that don't work. One had incomprehensible directions, the other... well, I don't remember.

I have a $20 from Amazon that works great. The $100+ ones you see are basically exactly the same circuit board with a different box and directions in English. If you can figure out the engrish on the cheap ones it will work great.

I use 2 light bulbs inside of an aluminum dryer vent and shove one end in the bottom of the cowl and let the other end lay on the floor. when it gets cold I have to wrap the vent with rags to insulate it and I also cover the cowl with blankets. It maintains about 50 degrees on cold days. I have NO hanger insulation or heat but it is still warmer than outside.

Light bulbs

I use 2 light bulbs inside of an aluminum dryer vent and shove one end in the bottom of the cowl and let the other end lay on the floor. when it gets cold I have to wrap the vent with rags to insulate it and I also cover the cowl with blankets. It maintains about 50 degrees on cold days. I have NO hanger insulation or heat but it is still warmer than outside.

What wattage?
Pretty efficient if it maintains 50 in Minnesota.
To the OP, there was an article in Sport Aviation about building a home brew device like the one in your link.

Use the search function to find a switch that you're sure will. I don't know anything about the one that you linked, but I have two Chinese cheapies on my shelf (from different manufacturers) that don't work. One had incomprehensible directions, the other... well, I don't remember.

I did a search and found a lot of good information but nothing specific about this switch.

I have a $20 from Amazon that works great. The $100+ ones you see are basically exactly the same circuit board with a different box and directions in English. If you can figure out the engrish on the cheap ones it will work great.

do you have the part number? $20 is a great price. Did you buy a SIM card. It looks like I can get a free one from Freedom POP.

I just built the one in Sport Aviation (the EAA mag) that appeared a few months ago. Easy to build, cheap, and works very well as a switch. You text it and it turns on and confirms for you that its on, etc. Only works with phone numbers that you provide it with (ie, nobody can spam it).

i have one and it works great.......with some mods. my board wouldn't function in the cold so i ended up putting it in a styrofoam box and using a 5 watt bulb on a line thermostat to keep it above 40 deg.,switch may not be up to the load you will use. my cell switch switches a contactor that completes the circuit to the heater.
but is nice to dial up a few hours before you go up and i think it is important that i am minimizing my fire risk by the small amount of time the heat is on.
350 watts of auto heater stuck on several places on the block of my jab 3300 will warm everything in 3 hrs for an oat of say 15-20 deg. i don't remember the number but there is a max temp of the block where the block gives off as much heat as it is absorbing. so it is not like you are firing up the doomsday device.
i suppose 3 times as much wattage would cut down heat up time but also get you closer to the doomsday device!

Back