VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 12-05-2019, 03:58 PM

Is there anyway to suppress or knowledge an alert and keep it from going off?
Dues paid
Old 12-05-2019, 04:09 PM

Default G3X Touch Terrain Alert Settings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavafa View Post
Is there anyway to suppress or knowledge an alert and keep it from going off?
We provide the option of enabling/disabling traffic or terrain alerts from the Traffic and Terrain pages, respectively. While on either one of these pages, press the Menu button and you will see this option.

If you have terrain alerts enabled, and expect to hear audible warnings, we want to make sure that warning is not muted. If you do not want to hear the terrain warnings, all you would need to do is disable them from the terrain page.

If you are experiencing nuisance terrain alerting, we do provide the ability to customize when alerts are generated by the system. There are a few different settings you can change to do this:

• Caution Elevation—The G3X Touch will provide an alert if the terrain or obstacle is within the default Caution Elevation or user-defined Caution Elevation.

• Look Ahead Time—Determines the maximum time when an alert annunciation occurs. For example, if 120 seconds is selected, the G3X Touch provides an alert up to 120 seconds before you reach the terrain or obstacle.

• Alert Sensitivity—The three Alert Sensitivity settings (Terrain, Obstacles, and Descent Rate) determine what level of alerts are annunciated. The G3X Touch defaults to ‘High’ sensitivity, which annunciates all red and yellow alerts at the time set in Look Ahead Time. ‘Medium’ sensitivity annunciates all of the red and the highest priority of yellow alerts. ‘Low’ only annunciates red alerts. ‘Off’ disables the alert.

See this post for a bit of insight into the practical modification of these settings: http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...89&postcount=8

• Accessing the terrain settings:

1) From the Terrain Page, press the MENU Key.

2) Touch Caution Elevation and touch 500ft Below, 750ft Below, or 1000ft
Below.

Or:

Touch Look Ahead Time and touch 60 Seconds, 90 Seconds, or 120 Seconds.

Or:

Touch Alert Sensitivity... > Terrain, Obstacles, or Descent Rate > Off, Low,
Medium, or High.

Or:

Touch Alerts to toggle between Enabled and Inhibited.

Or:

Touch Profile View to toggle on and off.

Thanks,

Justin
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.

Last edited by g3xpert : 12-05-2019 at 04:16 PM.
Old 12-05-2019, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g3xpert View Post
We provide the option of enabling/disabling traffic or terrain alerts from the Traffic and Terrain pages, respectively. While on either one of these pages, press the Menu button and you will see this option.

If you have terrain alerts enabled, and expect to hear audible warnings, we want to make sure that warning is not muted. If you do not want to hear the terrain warnings, all you would need to do is disable them from the terrain page.

If you are experiencing nuisance terrain alerting, we do provide the ability to customize when alerts are generated by the system. There are a few different settings you can change to do this:

? Caution Elevation?The G3X Touch will provide an alert if the terrain or obstacle is within the default Caution Elevation or user-defined Caution Elevation.

? Look Ahead Time?Determines the maximum time when an alert annunciation occurs. For example, if 120 seconds is selected, the G3X Touch provides an alert up to 120 seconds before you reach the terrain or obstacle.

? Alert Sensitivity?The three Alert Sensitivity settings (Terrain, Obstacles, and Descent Rate) determine what level of alerts are annunciated. The G3X Touch defaults to ?High? sensitivity, which annunciates all red and yellow alerts at the time set in Look Ahead Time. ?Medium? sensitivity annunciates all of the red and the highest priority of yellow alerts. ?Low? only annunciates red alerts. ?Off? disables the alert.

See this post for a bit of insight into the practical modification of these settings: http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...89&postcount=8

? Accessing the terrain settings:

1) From the Terrain Page, press the MENU Key.

2) Touch Caution Elevation and touch 500ft Below, 750ft Below, or 1000ft
Below.

Or:

Touch Look Ahead Time and touch 60 Seconds, 90 Seconds, or 120 Seconds.

Or:

Touch Alert Sensitivity... > Terrain, Obstacles, or Descent Rate > Off, Low,
Medium, or High.

Or:

Touch Alerts to toggle between Enabled and Inhibited.

Or:

Touch Profile View to toggle on and off.

Thanks,

Justin
Thank you Justin. While this is very beneficial, I am wondering about any other alerts. Lets say that I am getting an alert for my oil temp that is a bit high and got my attention or the CO detector is alerting me. Can I accept/acknowledge it so it is not blinking at me any more?
Dues paid
Old 12-06-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Thank you Justin. While this is very beneficial, I am wondering about any other alerts. Lets say that I am getting an alert for my oil temp that is a bit high and got my attention or the CO detector is alerting me. Can I accept/acknowledge it so it is not blinking at me any more?
+1

With my GRT, when an engine alarm activates, I get three acknowledge / inhibit options that pop up, including "inhibit flight." This ends the audio alerts, without permanently turning it off. It is very nice, as many of these alerts will go on forever, as the condition goes above and below the threshold repeatedly. My attention is captured and have no need for further audio; just lights and gauge readings. It is very important that the system initially gets my attention with audio. However, continuous repeats can be very distracting.

It would be nice to have something similar on the G3X. I fear that if I ahve to turn the alerting off to eliminate the distraction, I may forget to turn it back on at a later time.

Larry

Last edited by lr172 : 12-06-2019 at 09:43 AM.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:43 AM

Agreed!

I would prefer alerts be overruled/acknowledged via a "Master Caution" switch which is reset after power cycle or "Reset/Resume" button
Old 12-06-2019, 12:10 PM

Default Alerts

Quote:
Mehrdad,

If Oil Temp is slightly high, you should be in the yellow range. Depending on your configuration, you may or may not trigger an alert for an excursion into the yellow range. If you are using the ?Yellow Range + Alert? gauge marking, we will flag a CAS message on the PFD. Audible alerts are not generated for sensor values in the yellow range.

If the ?Red Range + Alert? gauge marking is used, and your oil temperature rises to that range, an audible warning will be issued, and you will see a flashing Red CAS message on the PFD. If a CAS message is flashing, you can touch the message to suspend the flashing.

Thanks
Justin
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.
Old 12-07-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman1988 View Post
?...I think they are distracting to the pojnt of causing a safety issue...?

Really?

So we should do away with:

Traffic, traffic
Pull up
Wind shear
Obstacle
Fire bells
Airspeed low
Etc?
I think the distraction issue is a valid point. Flying Tigers into Kuala Lampur comes to mind.

Flying VMC along the lakeshore in Chicago, proximate to many obstacles, I get a lot of nuisance warnings. All this happens when approach is trying call me. At the very least it's distracting and at worst it conditions you to ignore these warnings, then in IMC you start hesitating to the warning before reacting and maneuvering.

These warnings have probably saved 100's of lives but "Betty" has claimed some too.
RV-9A N904DC
2019/2020 Dues Paid
Old 12-07-2019, 12:46 PM

In the Flying Tiger Line accident on approach to Kuala Lumpur, the crew did not react to GPWS alerts because they had a false mental model of their position while in IMC. They subsequently crashed into the terrain which the GPWS was telling them they were about to crash into.

The accident seemed to be a litany of poor procedures, poor radio phraseology, very poor crew management, and poor SA. Nuisance alerts were not a factor. The alerts they had were genuine and they duly ignored them, so I don?t really understand how the accident could be attributed to the mere presence of a terrain alerting system.

If you?re commonly flying at low altitude in VMC and get consequent nuisance alerting, you may want to turn terrain alerting off or have it setup with tighter proximity margins.
Old 12-07-2019, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchroll View Post
In the Flying Tiger Line accident on approach to Kuala Lumpur, the crew did not react to GPWS alerts because they had a false mental model of their position while in IMC. They subsequently crashed into the terrain which the GPWS was telling them they were about to crash into.

The accident seemed to be a litany of poor procedures, poor radio phraseology, very poor crew management, and poor SA. Nuisance alerts were not a factor. The alerts they had were genuine and they duly ignored them, so I don?t really understand how the accident could be attributed to the mere presence of a terrain alerting system.

If you?re commonly flying at low altitude in VMC and get consequent nuisance alerting, you may want to turn terrain alerting off or have it setup with tighter proximity margins.
+1

In IMC never ignore a terrain warning; in VMC you may turn it off. Airliners usually have a dedicated button for this; Garmin offers the same using their menu. Maybe a dedicated button configured as a discr. input would be more convenient but..

RV-10 in progress
Build Log
Old 12-07-2019, 05:50 PM

Default Ummm

In an airliner, the terrain warning is NEVER turned off...

RV-10
Structure - 90% Done
Cabin Top - Aaarrghhh...
EFII System 32 - Done
297 HP Barrett Hung
ShowPlanes Cowl with Skybolts Fitted - Beautiful
Wiring...

Dues+ Paid 2019,...Thanks DR+