What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Electrical Noise & RF Interference in Aircraft by Bob Archer

xavierm

Well Known Member
Friend
Below is an article Bob wrote and sent in for our EAA Chapter 96 newsletter a few years ago. I came across it and decided to post it below.

Electrical Noise & RF Interference in Aircraft

Over the years I have been getting more and more reports of people having problems with RF interference and aircraft electrical noise. RF interference manifests itself in strange happenings when the transmitter is keyed such as auto pilots flipping the airplane on its back, or trying to, instrument needles going to full scale or zero, blanking out LCD displays, and even turning ELTs on and in extreme cases blowing out the final amplifiers in the transmitter. Such goings on can be disconcerting to say the least. These types of problems are becoming more common with the advent all of these low voltage instrumentation devices that use liquid crystal and LED displays.Most of these problems are caused by antennas with high VSWR (Voltage Standing Wave Ratio) which many people have installed in their airplanes in the past. VSWR is an indicator of the amount of impedance mismatch at the antenna. When there is a mismatch the VSWR controls the amount of energy reflected back down the cable both on the inside and outside of the outer conductor of the coaxial cable. If the antenna has a good RF choke built into the antenna all the reflected energy would be not be forced to back down the inside of the cable otherwise some of it, maybe most of it, would be reflected and return down the outside of the cable to the transmitter area and radiating energy all the way. This radiated energy would be transmitted into every bit of metal within sight as well as combining with the energy radiated from the antenna causing ripples and peaks and nulls in the radiation pattern. It also gets into electronic equipment as mentioned above and can cause the electronic gremlins. The energy reflected back down the inside of the coax cable is another story. Most modern transmitters have safety devices built in but it is possible that if the power level of the reflected energy is high enough the transmitter could be damaged or destroyed. It depends on both the amplitude and the phase and if the phase of the peak voltages coincide the voltage could theoretically double and if at the final amplifiers they could blow. I had one customer that this happened to and it didn't blow all of the final amps just most of them, enough that he had trouble communicating. The higher the transmitter power the more these kinds of troubles occur. I had another customer that had a problem with his engine instruments wiping out on transmit. He had a high power and a low power transmitter so he connected his low power one to his bad vertical stab antenna and his high power one to one of my SA-006 Com antennas mounted in his fuselage and he has been smiling ever since. He now uses the low power for ground control and such and the high power for airborne communications. He also had an autopilot problem that was solved prior to the antenna fix by the autopilot manufacturer recommending a diode be installed in the autopilot, I'm not sure where but probably across the power input.

I would highly recommend testing all installed antennas for VSWR prior to sealing up any areas that will not be accessible after closing. Most Ham radio operators have VSWR meters that would do the job and would be willing to help. I would recommend testing at least three frequencies and four or five would be better to make sure there are no bad frequency spots. The copper strip type antennas tend to be pretty narrow banded and if well centered in the frequency band the high and low frequency VSWR will probably be 4 or 5 to 1. I have tested several of these copper strip antennas though that have tested very well and I don?t know why. Maybe they were lossy, such as the ferrite transformer style. Also long cables tend to mask high VSWRs.

I have heard about another problem lately not pertaining to RF interference but still a possible problem. From two sources I have heard about, of apparently not being able to receive or transmit through the glass skin of the aircraft. In one of these cases the story was that a primer / surfacer of some type that was imported from Germany was used. In both cases the aircraft were Glassairs and I don't know if it is the construction materials or coatings or some other reason but it would be a good idea to check out the transmissibility of the skin. This would be easy to do using a hand held GPS receiver set on signal strength outside the aircraft and then moving it inside and checking the difference. The GPS signals are much higher in frequency so if the GPS signals get through the VHF frequencies would have no problem. In my experience in testing materials and coatings I have found that if the coatings were not conductive they did not have much effect. I have not of course tested every type of material, so test. Again, I highly recommend that ALL antenna installations be tested after installation and before sealing up if at all possible. I have recently also tested one of my antennas installed inside a large rudder which tested pretty bad. When tested outside the rudder it tested fine. It seems this vender used some kind of Zinc Chromate primer that was VERY heavily doped with the Zinc Chromate and apparently it was detuning the antenna. Not recommended! Very lossy too!

With all glass, or I should say non-conductive, aircraft an additional problem is the total lack of the shielding provided by the metal, or graphite structure. The conductive aircraft provides at least some shielding from the radiation from the monopole on a ground plane type antenna. Again that radiation can and does get into every conductor in the aircraft.

I have tested all of my antenna models on actual aircraft installations and if installed as per the installation instructions have an installed VSWR of less than 2:1 which is very good. I have also checked some installations that had a high VSWR and most of these turned out not to have been installed properly.

Aircraft noise can also be a problem. Sources can be alternators, generators, fuel pumps, magnetos, strobe systems etc. All of these devices can be the source of noise that can be transferred into the radios. This noise gets onto the main bus and thence into everything. All the modern electronics equipment are controlled and operated by digital signals which are short duration square waves which can also leak out of the equipment and into every thing. LCD displays can be very sensitive to these signals.

I have been recommending that folks with these kinds of problems do a noise testing program by testing for noise sources with and without the engine running and with and without all the various pieces of equipment running. This should turn up something. To kill some of these noises I have been recommending installing capacitors of about .25mfd to the bus and various places for the lower frequency noise and for the RF problem use capacitors of about 50 pfd. Old fashioned automobile ignition capacitors are in the ball park for the .25 caps.

I hope some of these ideas might help. Good Luck!.
Bob Archer

I can confirm Bob's findings related to SWR.
Bad antenna match is indeed a big contributor to EMI issues, perhaps the biggest of them all.
On some aircraft however it is not easy to achieve a perfect match - rag and tube and most composite aircraft fall into this category.
We have had reasonable success in cases like this using double shielded RF cable with the outer shield connect only on the radio's side to ground (the other end must remain unconnected).

Regardless of this we advocate that you split your harnesses right from the start into three groups that are physically separated:

Noisy lum : This contains any wire that carries a potentially radiating signal (strobes, motors, solenoids etc). This lum does not include any wiring that could be itself sensitive to radiated or otherwise coupled signals.

Silent lum : This lum contains all wires with signals that could be compromised with EMI. Here you will find your audio signals mostly. These we take great care of and make sure they are all correct shielded (shields never carry a signal and are grounded on one end only). In this lum you can also bundle a range of analog sensor signals (analog voltages that have no fast transients).

Digital lum : This lum contains all digital communications signals such as ARINC, RS232, RS485, CAN. It can also contain switched low current DC stuff but will never carry any analog signals (for example the signal from a trim position sensor).

Power lums: Power supply which includes grounds (negative) should also be roughly split into three groups:

Noisy: This includes supply to strobe systems etc.
Digital: Your EFIS and related peripherals.
RF/Audio: You radios and intercom systems. You should use the same grounds for these to prevent slightly different ground levels from creating audio noise.

Never combine any RF cables into any of these lums. Route these on their own and away from each other.

Avoid ground loops like the black plague. Any multiple ground connection (which can be indirect via a piece of equipment) is a potential loop antenna. This can transmit weak EMI and creates an elephant from a fly if the antenna happens to have a nice tune which depends on area and size. These antennas also receive very well and can mess up your grounds from received signals.

Since everything on your aircraft operates from a common supply you can often avoid ground loops by NOT joining signal grounds (for example there is usually no need to connect RS232 grounds between equipment). You must however use audio grounds but consider running the audio grounds within a shielded cable (shield connected only on one side).
Another effective way to kick the loops is to avoid giving them any area - two grounds running side by side will not make a good loop antenna.

Ferrites tuned for the VHF band can also prove effective - however, it can be a mission sometimes to find out just where to place them for maximum effect. The clip-on types, while not quite as effective as solid ones can be used as they are easy to move for experimentation.
You should not use ferrites on RF cable (GPS antennas, VHF, transponders etc).

Finally - the airframe. We have many times come across aircraft where the airframe has been used as a convenient ground bus. Saves time and wires right ? It's done in cars like this...
DO NOT DO THAT. Two big reasons: The first and most severe is called galvanic corrosion and is particularly troublesome with aluminum. DC currents flowing in the skin and frame of your aircraft will cause corrosion wherever there is a change of metal (including different alloys of the same). This has caused severe damage to many aircraft.
The second reason gets us back to EMI: If your ground is contaminated with any form of EMI signals - you now have a great big flying antenna to radiate this. We have had cases where you could pick up an aircraft's EMI from hundreds of feet away using a hand held VHF radio.

Connect your airframe to ground AT ONE POINT ONLY. This way it is not possible for any DC currents to flow. Check with a current meter so make sure there are no unintended ground connections.

If your antenna needs to be grounded to the airframe (most likely) and your radio's antenna connection is grounded at the radio you have a potential problem. Ground loop as well as current flowing through this connection.
The easy solution is to connect the antenna ground at the antenna to the airframe using a simple 100pF ceramic capacitor. This completely blocks the DC current but leaves the RF unaffected. RF ground loop is avoided if you route your antenna cable straight to the aircraft skin or a suitable frame member and make the cable follow this tightly. This avoids creating an area for the loop antenna.

A simple old portable AM medium wave radio that uses a ferrite antenna (this is very directional) can often be used to locate interference sources. Tune off-station until you hear the interference and move around the aircraft turning the radio. Try and "null" the interference - the long side of the radio points to the location.
These radios are also very effective finding isolated pieces of airframe or engine parts like radiators that are insulated from ground. With engine running on ground at reasonable RPM with dry air flow over the fuselage (the dryer the better) isolated parts will tend to charge relative to the grounded parts - reaching many thousands of volts. This creates corona discharges (elms fires) or sudden spark discharges. The radio picks this up very nicely - crackling and pops. Sometimes you can also see these discharges when you do this at night.
These discharges can send large but brief current pulses of very large magnitude through your airframe which can, depending on how your aircraft is wired, make it to EFIS systems or other sensitive equipment like intercom systems and can cause trouble (these events can far exceed DO-160 test limits - except for the lightning strikes in DO-160F that few devices are hardened to as this involves a thorough design of the entire airframe/system layout).

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

Last edited:
Back