What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dem Dunes

petehowell

Well Known Member
I had not been there since I was 8 years old, Andi had never been there, but we both wanted to go. Somewhere just east of Chicago lies a neat little place called the Indiana Dunes. I'm pretty sure there is no place in the midwest quite like it, and it is only 2hrs away in the garage-built contraption.

A few phone calls confirmed the comments on airnav that there was a gas war on at KGYY (Gary International Airport). They had $5 avgas and the new FBO at B. Coleman was almost complete - they could set us up with a cheap rental car and book a room at a nice rate. Even the weather cooperated - mild, sunny and tailwinds down and back!

We departed early and you know how the story begins....
IMG_4252.JPG

Cool and smooth at 7500, we were making good time over Badgerland

IMG_4273.JPG

We ran out of land and hit a big lake - directions said turn south
IMG_4296.JPG

Is that the Emerald City in the distance?
IMG_4301.JPG

We passed the Baha'i Temple (check the flyway chart)
IMG_4306.JPG

and finally got up close and personal with the Windy City
IMG_4323.JPG

IMG_4324.JPG

IMG_4328.JPG

Awesome scenery!
IMG_4329.JPG

continued......

Last edited:
Dem Dunes Part II

Chicago approach was very helpful and provided advisories down the shoreline at 2700ft. We landed at Gary and the people at B Coleman were ready for us. They brought the car out and loaded out bag - great service! 10 min later we were off to the lake!!

Our first stop was the beach at Indiana Dunes State Park - a little cool for swimming, but great for hiking
IMG_4331.JPG

Blue water, blue sky - no crowds!
IMG_4334.JPG

Top of a dune overlooking the beachhouse
IMG_4337.JPG

Next we hiked the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore - free access and really pretty!
IMG_4343.JPG

The biggest dune, Mt Baldy, is closed b/c it swallowed a kid last year - run it thru the Google...
IMG_4350.JPG

Does not quite scream Indiana, does it?
IMG_4351.JPG

This did not turn out well
IMG_4361.JPG

But this made the whole trip worthwhile!
IMG_4390.JPG

IMG_4436.JPG

Really worth the trip if you are in the midwest or looking for a OSH side trip!

Last edited:
Does not quite scream Indiana, does it?
IMG_4351.JPG

Spent many summers swimming the lake and walking the dunes there. Grandma lived between Michigan City and Laporte so we drove from MN every year to visit.
Great trip write up.

I had not been there since I was 8 years old, Andi had never been there, but we both wanted to go. Somewhere just east of Chicago lies a neat little place called the Indiana Dunes. I'm pretty sure there is no place in the midwest quite like it, and it is only 2hrs away in the garage-built contraption..

Also there are some rather large dunes at Sleeping Bear Dunes National Park near Traverse City, Michigan.

Nice trip report.

Just observing a few salient facts:

1. Stunning photos of Chicago skyline were obviously taken from the right seat of an eastbound aircraft.

2. Lovely and talented Andi Howell occupied the right seat of said aircraft (see photo 1 of the subject image sequence).

3. Pete Howell, the alleged PIC of said aircraft, occupied the left seat.

4. And yet it is Pete Howell's name on the aforesaid stunning photos, and not the name of Andi Howell.

I'm just sayin.

Guilty.....

Oh boy - lovely and talented. Yes she is all that, and she did take the skyline photos.

She must have Ashby on retainer...........

1. Stunning photos of Chicago skyline were obviously taken from the right seat of an eastbound aircraft.

2. Lovely and talented Andi Howell occupied the right seat of said aircraft (see photo 1 of the subject image sequence).

3. Pete Howell, the alleged PIC of said aircraft, occupied the left seat.

4. And yet it is Pete Howell's name on the aforesaid stunning photos, and not the name of Andi Howell.

I'm just sayin.

Pete and Andi,
Looks like a great trip and a place that we should put on my list. Cannot believe you really built that contraption in your garage. Keep the adventure alive.

Back