What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trutrak ADI repair?

Joe

Well Known Member
Is anyone repairing the long-obsolete Trutrak ADI? My 2-1/4 inch unit recently went Tango Uniform and it fills a need for backup in my glass panel.

As most know, Trutrak Flight Systems was swallowed by Bendix-King some time ago. I'm not holding a lot of hope that B-K will be helpful.

If not I see them for sale on here often. I have one and really like it. Was thinking one time about changing it to a AV-20 but heard some scary things about the AHRS in them.

Describe the failure. I repaired mine, after being told it couldn't be fixed. It was a little fiddly but in my case, I got the required part (an RC servomotor) from Amazon for a few bucks.

Did you contact Mid-Continent?

[email protected] / (800) 821-1212
I did not know Mid-Continent handled TruTrak repair but just fired off an email. Thanks.

Lars said:
Describe the failure. I repaired mine, after being told it couldn't be fixed. It was a little fiddly but in my case, I got the required part (an RC servomotor) from Amazon for a few bucks.
The climb rate indicator line (don't know what else to call it) was hung up near its maximum. The roll rate indicator seemed to be OK. I'm happy to know an RC servo is available (that thing looked tiny but obviously I don't know anything about RC).

Yesterday afternoon I opened the unit and found the the pitch rate mechanism to be binding with a small amount of debris nearby. Cleaned as best I could and lubed (LPS 1 with a cotton swab). Seems to be functioning -- for now.

wnplt said:
Was thinking one time about changing it to a AV-20 but heard some scary things about the AHRS in them.
That was also my first thought but I wasn't keen on being an early adopter of the AV-20. Nor of spending a kilobuck just to get back to where I was.

Three great replies with good info. Thanks, guys.

... Yesterday afternoon I opened the unit and found the the pitch rate mechanism to be binding with a small amount of debris nearby. Cleaned as best I could and lubed (LPS 1 with a cotton swab). Seems to be functioning -- for now.

Following up my own post for the archives:

The cleaning/lubrication seemed to do the trick. Ops checked during two flights and the ADI is its normal self again.

Good thing too, because although Mid-Continent and BendixKing tech support each promptly responded to my email requests, they were of absolutely no help. Mid-Continent replied that they no longer repaired this instrument but offered to sell me a new Xcruze 100 autopilot for a discount. (My unit is not an autopilot.) BendixKing sent me two auto-generated emails with no substance that I could determine. Sheesh!

I had a problem with a freewheeling roll trutrak servo on my -10.

Email to bendix, got the autoreply to contact mid-continent.

Emails (3) to mid-continent and phone calls (2) until talked to live person led to being told that more expensive to repair, and I should buy a new one.

Bought the new one, then decided had nothing to lose by taking apart the old one and troubleshooting. The roll pin attaching the gear to the shaft had backed out. Just have to find a roll pin and I've got a backup. Don't know why i didn't do it sooner.

Disposable society i guess. Midcontinent did manage to sell me a $5.00 "special mounting washer" which turned out to be a plain old AN-960 flat washer....

Phil
RV-10
Salt Lake City (Bountiful KBTF)

Trutrak - Bendix King

I have been a satisfied Trutrak owner for a long time. Not only because their products were great, but specially because their support was outstanding!

Now I’m doing some changes on my installation and I tried to ask one technical question about my Sorcerer. Here is the answer I’ve got:

“ The sorcerer is end of life and is no longer supported. The manuals are not on the BK site as that is not a product we support.

I will be closing this case and you will be receiving an auto-generated survey asking to rate our performance. If you have more questions about this subject, just reply to this e-mail and the case will automatically reopen.

Thank you for contacting Bendix King”

I don’t think I’ll ever buy a Trutrak product again!

Fabricio

I have been a satisfied Trutrak owner for a long time. Not only because their products were great, but specially because their support was outstanding!

Now I’m doing some changes on my installation and I tried to ask one technical question about my Sorcerer. Here is the answer I’ve got:

“ The sorcerer is end of life and is no longer supported. The manuals are not on the BK site as that is not a product we support.

I will be closing this case and you will be receiving an auto-generated survey asking to rate our performance. If you have more questions about this subject, just reply to this e-mail and the case will automatically reopen.

Thank you for contacting Bendix King”

I don’t think I’ll ever buy a Trutrak product again!

Fabricio

Wouldn't that, by extension, apply to other B-K products, as well?

Mid Continent

I had a question about my Vizion 385 in my RV7a. Reached out to BK who referred me to Mid Continent as they apparently are handling repairs . Made a couple of calls to MC hoping to talk to their Tru Trak people but voice mails not returned and as yet no response to a detailed E mail.

Will keep fingers crossed that they will get back to me. I would like to know that a pathway to future repairs will be available.

Don Bodnar

Mid Continent

I did get through to the TruTrak guy at Mid Continent about my autopilot, and while he was very pleasant to deal with, it still boiled down to "buy a new one".

Well it looks like Andrew got his money from the sale of TruTrak and Bendix King eliminated a competitor. I hate to think how many abandoned TruTrac product owners are out there but when my autopilot dies it appears I’m going to have a major upgrade requirement.

ADI 2 Replacement

On my 24th flight fm IYK CA to FWQ PA yesterday my TruTrac ADI 2 went crazy - intermittent severe jitter followed by disconnect. I could reconnect but problem reoccurred after a few minutes.

I use the ADI2 as back up gyro in my -8A. Will try to take it apart and clean/repair, but not hopeful.

Does anyone know where I can purchase an ADI 2?

The -8A is seriously panel space limited. Anyone know of an ADI 2 replacement that will fit in the ADI 2 hole?

Dealing with TruTrac was always pleasant and professional. While BK folks were courteous, a we don't support that reply was not what I was hoping for. So far no callback fm Mid-Continent.

ADI replacement

Mine had a small crack in the back where the pitot and static lines hooked up. Replaced it with a Uavionix av-20. I’ll send the trutrak unit to anyone that wants it. Some pro seal might fix it. The leak wasn’t big enough to cause any issues VFR but didn’t meet the IFR check

Mine had a small crack in the back where the pitot and static lines hooked up. Replaced it with a Uavionix av-20. I’ll send the trutrak unit to anyone that wants it. Some pro seal might fix it. The leak wasn’t big enough to cause any issues VFR but didn’t meet the IFR check

I'll take it.

Back