What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Don't Need No Stinkin' ADS-B!

I always get a chuckle out of Paul Bertorelli's articles and videos. The embedded video does an all-encompassing look at where ADS-B OUT is, and is not, required; and what happens now if you don't have it beginning January 2nd (i.e., the ADAPT tool).

I believe he is in error when he states that ADS-B OUT will be required under the shelves of Class C airspace. And he misses the Class E, 12NM from coastline, Gulf of Mexico requirement.

This post also has a good summary of where ADS-B OUT will be required in a few days:

(Yep, my RV-8 is ADS-B OUT equipped!)

He did a follow up video to clarify....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gT4v340FCYk

unfortunately, just because you're in an area where ADSB-out is not required you can't just turn it off.....

91.225 (f) Each person operating an aircraft equipped with ADS-B Out must operate this equipment in the transmit mode at all times.

unfortunately, just because you're in an area where ADSB-out is not required you can't just turn it off.....

91.225 (f) Each person operating an aircraft equipped with ADS-B Out must operate this equipment in the transmit mode at all times.

Therein lies the reason my ADS-B was installed with no individual power switch. It's fused to the avionics bus.

At your discretion...

I always get a chuckle out of Paul Bertorelli's articles and videos. The embedded video does an all-encompassing look at where ADS-B OUT is, and is not, required; and what happens now if you don't have it beginning January 2nd (i.e., the ADAPT tool).

I believe he is in error when he states that ADS-B OUT will be required under the shelves of Class C airspace. And he misses the Class E, 12NM from coastline, Gulf of Mexico requirement.

This post also has a good summary of where ADS-B OUT will be required in a few days:

(Yep, my RV-8 is ADS-B OUT equipped!)

Interesting and thanks for sharing.
I’m an ADSB outlaw, having no intention of purchasing or installing it anytime soon. 99% of my RV flying is outside required airspace and a recent jaunt through the DFW class B proves ATC still has the hammer, ask and ye shall receive.
I do fly a ADSB-out, equipped airplane for a living (B737) and get plenty of opportunities to romp around in a Class B (and all the other classes) to my hearts content, ADSB-Out being relevant for commercial aircraft. However comma, I personally think it’s an unnecessary (and expensive) requirement for GA.
Along with higher insurance rates its just one more intrusion on keeping flying relatively affordable, simple and fun.

All this makes me miss the F16 even more..:)
V/R
Smokey

Last edited:
"Along with higher insurance rates its just one more intrusion on keeping flying relatively affordable, simple and fun.

All this makes me miss the F16 even more"

F16 was "relatively affordable, simple and fun" ?? ;)

Finn

Dollars to Doughnuts...

"Along with higher insurance rates its just one more intrusion on keeping flying relatively affordable, simple and fun.

All this makes me miss the F16 even more"

F16 was "relatively affordable, simple and fun" ?? ;)

Finn

Relatively...:)
I used to tell my Dad everything we did was at the taxpayers expense but hey, I'm a taxpayer!"

V/R
Smokey

It only took a few trips over Iraq at night (and 13 funerals for squadron mates over 25 years) to realize it wasn't all fun and games...

ADSB Outlaw

Smokey-
Thank you for that. There are now at least two of us standing tall among a herd of sheeple.
I would much rather spend 2K plus on gas.
If you start a outlaw club can I be member #2?

Sheeple, huh?

In the last nine months I've had three NMACs in patterns at non-towered airfields, all of which were caused by others in the pattern who chose to disregard normal procedures and radio calls we're all supposed to be using to play nice in uncontrolled airspace. All three would have been avoidable had everyone been using ADS-B, and in fact one *should* have been avoided had I bothered to use the traffic display correctly. That's a mistake I won't make again.

Yes, ADS-B does have privacy issues that need to be addressed and no, it's not exactly cheap. But in the grand scheme of things (my things at least) it's a net benefit. Your mileage may vary.

ds

Last edited:
until they make everything that leaves the ground (birds included) squawk ADS-B out, there’s no way in heck I’ll be looking at the fish finder while entering, leaving or going around the traffic pattern. Eyes out please!

Back