What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Jpi engine monitor

Brent

I have installed a jpg 930tso in my RV8, along with a GRT EFIS. This may seem to be a little overkill, but flew the phase 1 testing on a friend?s Dynon unit which incorporated the engine parameters. During that early test phase, I experienced a total EFIS failure which was no problem, except that I also lost ALL engine indications on this new untested engine. I elected to have a separate engine monitor.

I had months of frustration trying to get the fuel quantity gauges to work. The JPI tech service folks have been superb working with me. I am using the Vans flat plate capacitance system. Unfortunately the Vans tech service were worse than useless, telling me that no one could get them working, and to fit a float system! No hint of exactly how to do that with the wings fitted. I almost went that route and started to remove the tanks, but then tried once more with JOI tech service who told me to send the unit back. They reprogrammed it, and SUCCESS.!! The reason for this long spiel is to give JPI tech service a huge attaboy for their patience and cooperation. I now know more about this system than I ever expected to need to know.

Brent

My 930 has been installed since 2005, one of the first. I had one issue in all these years, a small display issue. I sent it back and due to its age and early rev, they replaced all the guts. Never charged me a dime. It was way out of warranty.
I have had a couple of issues that turned out to be unrelated to the 930 but their tech support was very helpful with diagnosing.

I used to have a JPI EDM740 graphical engine monitor and it worked very reliably. I was really happy with it, but eventually it was superseded by a significant EFIS upgrade. They produce graphical engine monitors with excellent layout and functionality.

Having said that, I hope this doesn't become yet another "bash JPI for something one person did over a decade ago" thread. :rolleyes:

Back